Jim Ley's pay is frozen at $214,614
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Report, Herald-Tribune
    SARASOTA — Sarasota County Administrator Jim Ley's salary will be frozen at $214,614 for next year. Ley was in line for an automatic 3 percent increase of $6,438 in August and he has now asked all other county managers making more than $60,000 to waive their salary increases.

The county is facing a budget shortfall of at least $30 million next year and begins public meetings on proposed budget cuts June 17.
    Source
    "Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is SUCCESS." -- Henry Ford

3% of Jim Ley's salary is $6,438, but 3% of my salary is $780. If that goes on for 5 years in a row, then Ley gets $32,000 after 5 years, while I get $3900!!! If it goes on for 10 years, then I get $7800, while Ley gets $64,000.

Let's compare it:
    • After 1 year of a 3% payraise:
      me: $780
      Jim Ley: $6,438
      [/*:m:1yvyvbz4]
    • After 5 years of 3% payraises:
      me: $3,900
      Jim Ley: $32,000
      [/*:m:1yvyvbz4]
    • After 10 years of 3% payraises:
      me: $7,800
      Jim Ley: $64,380[/*:m:1yvyvbz4]
    What a racket the county commissioners and Jim Ley have going on in this county. :roll:

Wow~` What a valiant leader you are Jim Ley

Refusing to add 6 grand to your $214,000. salary..

If you want to be a leader.. as county employees are hitting the un-employment line.. How bout taking a 6% decrease in your over inflated salary..??

I mean come on Jim.. you already receive a vehicle allowance and free gasoline along with that salary..

Cheez... What a sport !!

What is his background to be making that kind of cash? Can anyone dig into it?

County Administrator James L. Ley

County Administrator Jim Ley's responsibility is to provide leadership and management direction to the organization, to interact with the Board of County Commissioners (BCC) and representatives of other jurisdictions in order to identify needs for services, and to translate BCC policy into responsive service programs.

James L. Ley has served the public for over 28 years, all of those years being in county service. He graduated from Kent State University in 1974.

Ley served as the Sarasota County administrator since August of 1997. Prior to that, he served with Clark County, Nevada in various positions since 1979; his final assignment with Clark County was serving as the assistant county manager for Development Services from 1991 to 1997, overseeing all of the urban services provided by a full service urban county.

He is a member of the International City/County Management Association, is an at-large member of the Florida City and County Management Association Board of Directors, is a member of the Board of Directors of the Innovation Groups, is a past chairman of the Urban Consortium Steering Committee of Public Technology, Inc., and is a past president of the National Association of County Administrators. In 1999, he was awarded Public Technology, Inc.’s Technology Leadership Award, recognizing his efforts to foster the use of technology in local government.

To be honest, his salary isn't really out of line with other county managers and he has gotten offers for other counties that would pay him more..

Quote Originally Posted by Retired n Luvin it
    Wow~` What a valiant leader you are Jim Ley

Refusing to add 6 grand to your $214,000. salary..

If you want to be a leader.. as county employees are hitting the un-employment line.. How bout taking a 6% decrease in your over inflated salary..??

I mean come on Jim.. you already receive a vehicle allowance and free gasoline along with that salary..

Cheez... What a sport !!
    Why don't you donate just 1% of your retirement back to the county as thanks for all of the years you were employed here which now allows you to sit back and collect a check for doing nothing now? I thought not......easy to throw stones at others but hard to live up to your own B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    To be honest, his salary isn't really out of line with other county managers and he has gotten offers for other counties that would pay him more..
    Good! Let him go. He is the most corrupt county administrator we have ever had and the commissioners are too busy with thier pet projects to see that.

Ok I think that the 2050 plan is something we need to get really serious about right now! What planet are they living on you all need to stop playing office up there and get busy. Stop going to lunch and get on the 2008 plan!!

Dear Guest...

My pension is doled out by FRS.. Not Sarasota County. As of the last report they are not strapped for cash.. And I earned my pension.. While private industry received bonuses and stock options SSO emloyees had to deal with compression, low raises, and often salary caps, which limited their high 5 years of earnings..

If I still worked at the SSO and was a staff member.. I d be glad to give back 1% if it meant that there would be no layoffs or civilian position shuffling..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast