TAMPA PBA CONSTITUTION & CHARTER ELECTION
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TAMPA PBA CONSTITUTION & CHARTER ELECTION

May 20, 2008

To All Tampa Police Officers:

We are coming down to the final days before we declare total independence from West Central Florida PBA. We will officially become a recognized Charter within the Florida PBA, known as the Tampa Police Benevolent Association. We will exclusively represent Tampa Police members and we will finally be in total control of our business decisions and how we spend our money. To become an independent Charter we must have an election and it must cover the following two issues:

1. As mandated by the Florida PBA, we have written a new Constitution and new By-Laws, which have been approved by our Board of Directors and now have to be approved by our membership. In times past, the former PBA held an informational meeting and anyone present voted for changes in the Constitution and By-Laws. The majority vote won. The last major change to the Constitution and By-Laws was voted upon and approved by less than forty members of TPD. This time it will be different. We will have an informational meeting on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 between 18:00 – 19:30 hours at TECO Hall, 704 N. Franklin Street, Tampa. Copies of the new proposed Constitution and By-Laws will be available with all changes highlighted and additional explanations written out for you to see. This is the first issue on the ballot.

2. We are mandated by the Public Employees Relations Commission, (PERC) to ask whether you want to be represented by the West Central Florida Police Benevolent Association or by the Tampa Police Benevolent Association. We believe you will overwhelmingly choose to be represented by the members of your own agency. This is the second issue on the ballot.

On Monday, May 19, 2008, a copy of the new proposed Constitution and By-Laws were placed in each squad folder across all three districts and Police Head Quarters. We are asking that all supervisors make that copy available to each squad member. Additionally, we are sending out a Group Wise department wide e-mail with this cover letter and a copy of the proposed Constitution and By-Laws attached for you to download and look over. The election is scheduled for Tuesday, May 27 and Wednesday, May 28, 2008 from 06:00-18:00 at each District and at Police Head Quarters.

Please feel free to contact any PBA Board member and ask questions or give comments. We look forward to seeing you at the informational meetings and at the election.

Respectfully,

Greg Stout

Going from the WCFPBA to the TPBA will in no way invalidate or adversely effect our current contract with the city, correct?

No it will not. There is an agreement in place, approved by the Florida PBA, where the WCF-PBA has granted the Tampa PBA the authority to govern the current Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA, aka contract). This way there would be no problem with the City honoring the current CBA.

I should note that the City Administration and TPD Staff all gave assurances that there would be no problems with the CBA before the split was even made. The agreement between the WCF-PBA and Tampa PBA was more for technical reasons.

As always, if you have any questions, ask!

Hope you got that in writing.

who has been receiving my dues? It just dawned on me to ask this. I authorized money from my paycheck to be sent to the wcfpba, not the Tampa chapter. And can a union that we have not voted on collect my dues?

I like the direction you guys are going and my hats off to you for your hard work. Just an interesting technical question that just popped into my mind.

ASKED & ANSWERED

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    who has been receiving my dues? It just dawned on me to ask this. I authorized money from my paycheck to be sent to the wcfpba, not the Tampa chapter. And can a union that we have not voted on collect my dues?

I like the direction you guys are going and my hats off to you for your hard work. Just an interesting technical question that just popped into my mind.
    Asked and answered here:

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Lynch
    ...There is an agreement in place, approved by the Florida PBA, where the WCF-PBA has granted the Tampa PBA the authority to govern the current Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA, aka contract).
    The WCF-PBA has a written agreement with the Tampa PBA to service the contract (CBA). This includes collecting dues and representing TPD members of the PBA. This will be in effect until the current CBA expires and a new one, negotiated by the Tampa PBA, is in place.

thanks

Senior Member LEO Affairs Sergeant

Election Date & Time

Greetings,

Just making sure everyone is aware that the election information is as follows (there was a typo in a previous announcement):

Dates: May 27th - May 28th
    Days: Tuesday - Wednesday
    Times: 0600 - 1800 Hours
    Locations:

TPD Headquarters
    District I
    District II
    District III

WHERE ARE THE DUES?

Dear Guest:
    Thanks for asking about the dues. We began receiving dues from our TPD members in mid March. From February 29 to March 14, the dues amount will pro-rated and paid to us by WCFPBA. The amount of dues to be paid to us will be determined by the State PBA. As I have said before, we will shortly be in control of our destiny and be able to determine how we spend OUR money.

Thanks,

Greg Stout

Do we have a written agreement with the city or is it just verbal reference them not trying to get out of the contract.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast