Tuesday's Commission Mtg. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LW Guy
    Don't anyone take this the wrong way. I don't want to see anyone lose anything in this deal. But if the position is already vacant, and the Sheriffs office with different shifts etc. can still do the job, then why count these vacant positions in the spreadsheets. When you include these vacant positions, positions which have not been filed in years in the equation, it raises the final number up, which would be the final price. Is this another way to try to throw a monkey wrench in the works. I believe the Sheriff needs accurate figures, of how many people are currently employed by LW PD, dispatchers, non sworn, and sworn including SGt's and Lt's. Then balance this with what the City wants as far as staffing, and work out a contract. Don't throw phantom positions in the mix, that would not have been filled anyway due to budget constraints. Thats just my take on the matter. Attack away guys.
    You make a good point. They need to take the shills out.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    The Sheriff will get the money he needs

I hope Broward can get their money.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... 4776.story

Any word on the merger this week, did they meet with the Sherriff's office to start negotiations yet, I had heard that was supposed to start this week.

Re: What I think

[quote=Mary L.]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Guest 1111":144apd9m
    It sounded to me that the CM did not want to do the deal this year and was using the budget as an excuse. He knows he will not be here next year so he wants to blow it off. I hope Vespo knows this so he can watch this guy. What do you think Mary?
    For politicians, the merger is a political issue. For administrators, like the city manager, it’s an administrative issue, for finance directors, it’s a money issue, for employees, it’s a career issue and for the public it’s a public safety issue. That’s a bit oversimplified, and some people involved do care about more than their own particular dog in this hunt. But mostly, it’s true and explains what motivates the different players in this.

There was a meeting last evening at the Police Dept with residents from South J and K Street neighborhoods. Twenty-five or so residents, Commissioners Lowe, Jennings and Vespo were there along with Chief Smith, Lt. White and other officers. People spoke about specific properties in the area that were chronic problems, the recent homicide and street shootings and asked for help. Some of these residents were frightened to even leave their homes in the morning for work, much less try to organize crime walks. Overgrown alleys and abandoned houses were just some of the code issues they brought up. Many expressed reluctance to call the Police because they either didn’t want to be a bother, were afraid of retribution from criminals or weren’t sure what kind of incidents they should call and report – actual crimes or just suspicious persons.

The neighborhood association in that area has fallen into inactive status and there was some talk about reviving it, but again, many people were hesitant to make themselves a target (literally!). Other neighborhood associations were present at the meeting and offered to help get things started, like clean-ups and flyering door to door. The CRA will be asked to increase their overtime grants for patrols in the area and all the properties mentioned were put on a list for more frequent regular patrols and further investigation.

Several people spoke about increasing the resources for our PD by merging with PBSO and one taxpayer was adamant about paying more taxes to accommodate a sufficient police budget to address the problems. That same citizen offered $1000 towards a street camera near his property.
    One citizen took an application for COP.

What do I think? I heard all the same fear and outrage when the little girl was raped and dumped in the garbage two years ago, when the three homicides were committed in January, when the whacko with the machete nearly decapitated a man in February, when the guy filling his tank was shot at the station on Federal, and when the ATM customer was robbed at gunpoint in April. There were lots of public meetings in lots of neighborhoods from downtown to the Osbourne gym. Unfortunately, the criminals didn’t come to share their views on the matter.

Either public safety is a priority and it’s treated AND FUNDED as a priority or it isn’t a priority at all and we can spare ourselves the bother of pretending that it is. I think if the city of Lake Worth cannot or will not fund the level of service the taxpayers demand, then for heaven’s sake let’s Go Green.

M.[/quote:144apd9m]

Isn't that funny the chief show's up for a meeting we have only been asking him to come to our meeting's for 2 year'sor more. I quess he got off of his A-- becuase now with the merger back on he won't have a job if the SO take's over. SORRY CHIEF to little to late you should have cared for your city sooner.

This should show everyone that he dosen't care for anything but himself.

Last poster, think about what you just wrote. If it was a little late, why would he want to bother showing up. The ingratitude you people have. If this is what PBSO looks forward to mergering with. I wish this attempt ill x 10. I can't imagine 2, 3, or 4 years down the line what you'll be saying about the Sheriff.

Remember when you had out dated emergency bar lights. Remember when you were equiped with laptops when neither SO or West Palm had theirs yet. Remember a worn torn station which was later transformed into a decent public safety complex to work in. Remember when LWPD became one of the top 5 well paid departments. What I've cited isn't even a fraction of the great things accomplished under this Chief and as a whole.

To the last poster, if you're so bright, put in for the job. Try pleasing the Commission and some 90 + officers at the same time. Try working with a limited budget. Since you're a know it all. You want SO just for your self interest. It really isn't about the city of Lake Worth or it's residents because you could care less. If you want PBSO so badly, why don't you apply there?

If this SO merger rant keeps going on with LWPD. I vouch that a grassroot effort within this city will be mobilized to counter it. We'll flood both city and county commission with letters against it. From one neighbor to another. I'm not bluffing.

The citizens have the power, not you!!! You can leave and you'll surely be replaced with this down economy. There are many more bodies out there that wants your job and will get it in a heart beat. So this is not a bargaining issue. Conform yourself and stop being pessimistic. It really isn't a choice. The ball isn't in your court.

One more thing...I am sure the previous poster is a cop trying to act like citizen Joe. Nice try!

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Dear
    Last poster, think about what you just wrote. If it was a little late, why would he want to bother showing up. The ingratitude you people have. If this is what PBSO looks forward to mergering with. I wish this attempt ill x 10. I can't imagine 2, 3, or 4 years down the line what you'll be saying about the Sheriff.

Remember when you had out dated emergency bar lights. Remember when you were equiped with laptops when neither SO or West Palm had theirs yet. Remember a worn torn station which was later transformed into a decent public safety complex to work in. Remember when LWPD became one of the top 5 well paid departments. What I've cited isn't even a fraction of the great things accomplished under this Chief and as a whole.

To the last poster, if you're so bright, put in for the job. Try pleasing the Commission and some 90 + officers at the same time. Try working with a limited budget. Since you're a know it all. You want SO just for your self interest. It really isn't about the city of Lake Worth or it's residents because you could care less. If you want PBSO so badly, why don't you apply there?

If this SO merger rant keeps going on with LWPD. I vouch that a grassroot effort within this city will be mobilized to counter it. We'll flood both city and county commission with letters against it. From one neighbor to another. I'm not bluffing.

The citizens have the power, not you!!! You can leave and you'll surely be replaced with this down economy. There are many more bodies out there that wants your job and will get it in a heart beat. So this is not a bargaining issue. Conform yourself and stop being pessimistic. It really isn't a choice. The ball isn't in your court.
    That's funny because it you attended the commissioners meetings every citizens there was for it. They are the voice, not you. The SO is a far superior agency and I'm sorry the majority of us want to have something better. The citizens will be better policed just as in Wellington and Royal Palm. We will have better equipment, benefits, and pay all at saving the city money. You are one of the few who don't want for whatever selfish reason. Get over yourself, and realize the city cannot afford to continue on the path it's on. The majority of citizens and officers want it. You should be behind us. I can tell you're definitely not a citizen, just an over paid administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Dear

You're too late with your Obama like grassroots effort. The citizens want it. Your best bet is with the county commissioners, but they don't control the Sheriff. You need to grow up. Why would even attempt to stop a good thing? Regional policing is the way of the future and with a downturn economy the best possible solution.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast