Why
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why

Why

I am wondering why are the number of drug arrests so low any more? I remember when they used to be a lot higher. I know the drug dealers are still out there. What are the issues?

I really would like some serious answers. I think one person out there can really can give me a good honest answer if you will.

drug arrests?

Well I'm just an average ol citizen but I see a lot of things and know a few more, but...... What I see is the Joint Perry/Taylor County Drug Tack Fource doing very little to combat drugs in our community. Years ago there was no Drug Task Force so to speak, but the Perry Police Department and the Taylor County Sheriff's Office combined resources to arrest drug dealers throughout the city and country. Back then there litterly would be a couple hundred drug arrests made each year by the Police Department and Sheriff's Office Investigaters, alone, the road Deputies and City Patrol Officers also made many arrests. But that was back when Quniten Whittle was Sheriff and at the beginning of Wayne Putnal's term as Police Chief. NOW, getting the Task Frce to do much more than sit under the oak trees at the skating rink, and a few other places including their office, and flirt with young girls and married women is impossible.

(Edited by MOD 507 To Comply With Terms of Use)

Well this is just a glimse as to why there are no more drug arrests in out community....protecting the community has taken a back seat to personal goals and accomplishments of the ones who are supposed to be arresting the dearlers.

Re: drug arrests?

Quote Originally Posted by just a citizen
    Well I'm just an average ol citizen but I see a lot of things and know a few more, but...... What I see is the Joint Perry/Taylor County Drug Tack Fource doing very little to combat drugs in our community. Years ago there was no Drug Task Force so to speak, but the Perry Police Department and the Taylor County Sheriff's Office combined resources to arrest drug dealers throughout the city and country. Back then there litterly would be a couple hundred drug arrests made each year by the Police Department and Sheriff's Office Investigaters, alone, the road Deputies and City Patrol Officers also made many arrests. But that was back when Quniten Whittle was Sheriff and at the beginning of Wayne Putnal's term as Police Chief. NOW, getting the Task Frce to do much more than sit under the oak trees at the skating rink, and a few other places including their office, and flirt with young girls and married women is impossible.

(Edited by MOD 507 To Comply With Terms of Use)

Well this is just a glimse as to why there are no more drug arrests in out community....protecting the community has taken a back seat to personal goals and accomplishments of the ones who are supposed to be arresting the dearlers.

I wonder what was deleted?

I do know that drugs are a serious issue in our city and county. I don't believe enough is being done to stop it. I think the rise in shootings recently are a direct link to the drug problem.

If the city police won't do anything about them, the sheriff should. The sheriff is responsible for the whole county, which includes the city. Would one of you city officers care to explain why the arrests are so low anymore?

The comments that were edited out made allegations against named officers by an anonymous poster. This violates the Terms of Use.

Mod 507

COMPLAINT ON PERRY P.D.

I don't know what your problems are in Perry or if you have a bunch of Rookie's looking to make a name for themselves. I am a ranking LEO at a large agency in Florida. It seems that every time my family members drive on US19 in Perry they are harassed for some petty issue or bogus scam for P.C. to stop them.

Then after you stop them and waste their time you ask to search the vehicle. Or should I say "TOSS" the vehicle. I don't like liars and you have some bad apples in your ranks. I have instructed them to pull into well lighted and populated locations and ready their camera phones. I don't like what I hear and will be contacting a good friend with FDLE to alert them of your antics.

I am sure it is not everyone but there are a couple of cops who are not playing by the rules. Better start soon because your honesty is going to be tested.

Re: COMPLAINT ON PERRY P.D.

Quote Originally Posted by LEO PRO
    I don't know what your problems are in Perry or if you have a bunch of Rookie's looking to make a name for themselves. I am a ranking LEO at a large agency in Florida. It seems that every time my family members drive on US19 in Perry they are harassed for some petty issue or bogus scam for P.C. to stop them.

Then after you stop them and waste their time you ask to search the vehicle. Or should I say "TOSS" the vehicle. I don't like liars and you have some bad apples in your ranks. I have instructed them to pull into well lighted and populated locations and ready their camera phones. I don't like what I hear and will be contacting a good friend with FDLE to alert them of your antics.

I am sure it is not everyone but there are a couple of cops who are not playing by the rules. Better start soon because your honesty is going to be tested.
    I don't know what your intentions were by posting this, but they could not have been good. I am sorry to hear about your family. Your statement also completely conflicts with the entire topic of this thread, which was why are the number of drug arrests so low? To be more specific, a citizen, whom lives in Perry, is complaining that law enfocement is not zealous enough, in its pursuit of justice. You follow it up by questioning our agency's integrity, and then asking if it has a "bunch of rookies looking to make a name for itself." That completely goes against the complaint made by the original poster.

You then follow that up with some claim of being a "ranked LEO". Again, sorry, but I don't believe a ranking LEO would call out an entire city agency. I would hope that a ranking LEO would understand that there is always two sides to every story, before calling out and threatening an entire agency. Again, sorry about your family. I am also glad that you have gave them sound advice about cameras. Keep in mind we keep our cameras recording too. That's to protect us from "bogus" complaints, but you should understand that.

Everyone can say why don't police do more about this and that, its always much easier to blame someone else. After all Police Officers and expected to take care of everyone's problems right? well has anyone stopped to think that there are Federal laws, State Laws, Department Policy, and Civil Rights that officers have to abide by? I mean its not like they can just go up to a suspected drug dealer and search them for no reason. i think more or less the community and every community should look how to raise there children better and how to keep children into falling into a life of crime. i personally believe if the punishment was worse than we wouldn't have so many people committing crimes. I understand there is bad apples in every bunch but come on is that really the police's fault?

Re: COMPLAINT ON PERRY P.D.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stjohn4eighteen
    Quote Originally Posted by LEO PRO

I don't know what your intentions were by posting this, but they could not have been good. I am sorry to hear about your family. Your statement also completely conflicts with the entire topic of this thread, which was why are the number of drug arrests so low? To be more specific, a citizen, whom lives in Perry, is complaining that law enfocement is not zealous enough, in its pursuit of justice. You follow it up by questioning our agency's integrity, and then asking if it has a "bunch of rookies looking to make a name for itself." That completely goes against the complaint made by the original poster.

You then follow that up with some claim of being a "ranked LEO". Again, sorry, but I don't believe a ranking LEO would call out an entire city agency. I would hope that a ranking LEO would understand that there is always two sides to every story, before calling out and threatening an entire agency. Again, sorry about your family. I am also glad that you have gave them sound advice about cameras. Keep in mind we keep our cameras recording too. That's to protect us from "bogus" complaints, but you should understand that.
    You sound like you could have answered my question, but decided not to. I really wish you would.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Everyone can say why don't police do more about this and that, its always much easier to blame someone else. After all Police Officers and expected to take care of everyone's problems right? well has anyone stopped to think that there are Federal laws, State Laws, Department Policy, and Civil Rights that officers have to abide by? I mean its not like they can just go up to a suspected drug dealer and search them for no reason. i think more or less the community and every community should look how to raise there children better and how to keep children into falling into a life of crime. i personally believe if the punishment was worse than we wouldn't have so many people committing crimes. I understand there is bad apples in every bunch but come on is that really the police's fault?
    I believe that the Police could do more than they have been doing. Now, I don't know the numbers for this current year but apparently sometime the last half of last year they started increasing their arrests again.

I really wish I had the stats from earlier years, like back when Mr. Parker for the City and Mr. Davis for the Sheriff were doing the drug arrests, but the numbers I have been able to get so far, are kind of interesting.

These are from the FDLE UCR Semi Annual and Annual Arrest Reports

Perry PD Drug Arrests

2000 Jan-Jun 28 July-Dec 41 Total 69

2001 Jan-Jun 31 July-Dec 44 Total 75

2002 Jan-Jun 41 July-Dec 41 Total 82

2003 Jan-Jun 54 July-Dec 57 Total 111

2004 Jan-Jun 24 July-Dec 89 Total 113

2005 Jan-Jun 24 July-Dec 25 Total 49

2006 Jan-Jun 9 July-Dec 3 Total 12

2007 Jan-Jun 3 July-Dec 76 Total 79

I mean how do you explain going from arresting 69-113 every year for 5 years straight and then only arresting 49 and then 12. The way it looks by these numbers, very little was being done to stop the sale or possession of drugs from January of 2005 until at least July of 2007. Then again, by these reports, we don't know exactly which month in 2005 the arrests dropped off, or when they picked up in 2007.

It's no secret the drug dealers are out there on the streets selling the drugs. My question is, what are the police doing about it? Why did the police let it get so bad? It's not a new problem. I know it has existed in Perry since the late 1980s. Back then you could pull off of the side of 19 and buy crack. There were a lot of arrests back then. I am hoping to be able to get the stats from back then if I can. I would like to compare them to todays stats and see how they compare.

Can anyone explain the trend in these numbers? Come on, 2 consecutive 6 month periods with only 3 drug arrests. Any Patrol Officer should be able to make that many by themself in a month working the road.

drug arrest issues

If you knew how the UCR arrest reports were actually compiled and reported then you would not be making these comments.

The discrepancy that you have so skillfully pointed out if you care to have it explained. Just read the UCR submission guidelines. Not every drug arrest gets reported, only the more serious crime in the series of charges. So let’s say we arrest a person with drugs and a stolen gun.. then the stolen gun takes the trump card over the drugs and it is not reported as a drug arrest.

Lets just think about that before you run a smear campaign. PP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast