Sheriff candidates square off at Elks Club
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Hoffman, Sun-Herald
    VENICE -- Three current candidates for Sarasota County Sheriff squared off recently at the Venice Elks Club. Republicans Larry Dunklee and Dave Gustafson and Democrat Curt Lavarello each had a chance to answer audience questions.

Dunklee, presently chief deputy under Sheriff Bill Balkwill, pointed to gangs as one of the most critical problems facing the county.

"A lot of people don't know we have a gang problem here," Dunklee said. "It's coming from the Bradenton area. I would appoint one or two people to attack the problem aggressively."

Lavarello, who once served part time in the Sheriff's Office, had ideas on how gang activity could be addressed. "Allowing gang graffiti to remain on buildings is not only an eyesore, but it helps recruit more members to these gangs. We have to get serious or we'll end up like Miami."

Gustafson, formerly a Sarasota County deputy and now serving at New College of Florida, raised issues about spending in the Sheriff's Office. "There's been more than $14 million spent on overtime recently," he said. "That could pay for 50 more people. I want to put more certified law enforcement officers on the road, not behind a desk."

All agreed that budget issues were a challenge. Lavarello said, "Efficiency is the key. I would civilianize more jobs to put more officers on the street."

Dunklee, who said he has been largely responsible for putting together the Sheriff's Office budget, said overtime is never budgeted. "Instead, we used 'lapsed' funds." Jobs which have been authorized and accounted for in the budget but have not yet been filled are the source of money used to pay overtime.

Gustafson said he would like to expand the Neighborhood Watch program, as well as hold "town hall meetings" to hear residents' concerns. "North Port has always been neglected, and I want the Sheriff's Office to interact more with them," he said. Gustafson said he has been to North Port "probably 18 to 20 times in the past six months," so he is familiar with the city.

Dunklee said North Port is a difficult area partly because it is a large zone to cover. He said the Sheriff's Office is not responsible within the city limits -- that is the purview of the North Port Police Department. However, he recognized the challenges the city faces.

Lavarello said he would "move away from the mindset that (the Sheriff's Office is) not responsible for part of the county." He would ensure sheriff's representatives took a more active part in meeting with the city and learning about its concerns.

Gustafson said, "Criminal activity doesn't have geographical boundaries. We have to have regular meetings with the police chiefs and let them know the sheriff is there to assist them."

Changes cited by all three

Lavarello noted a need in the Sheriff's Office for more diversity. "There are no minorities among the command staff," he said, adding he would recruit women and minorities more aggressively.

Dunklee, who has been second under Balkwill for three years, noted there are several women in the Sheriff's Office (although none in top leadership). He said despite efforts to recruit at colleges, they have not had much success in recruiting minorities.

Gustafson said he would actively seek out minority leaders in the community, such as through the NAACP, to assist in recruiting.

The candidates were asked if they had ever been subject to an internal investigation. Gustafson said he had "never been investigated in 33 years" of his law enforcement career.

Dunklee said he was investigated once, because a disgruntled employee claimed he had sexually harassed her, although he said the charges "were determined to be unfounded."

Lavarello said he was investigated while he was a part-time officer in Sarasota for a DUI charge, but that "it was later tossed out of court."

Dunklee said one requirement that affects the sheriff's budget and assignment of staff is the need to provide personnel for the jail and courts. "We have a certain number of people we have to provide for corrections and as court bailiffs," he said. Those are fixed by the state and the number cannot be reduced. He also noted some staff members were called up through the military reserves.

Lavarello, who was the chief executive for the National Association of School Resource Officers, felt the county Coalition on Drug Abuse is an important entity that he would like to see run by the Sheriff's Office, with countywide participation. He also would drop the D.A.R.E. curriculum in schools, and instead adopt courses that are more comprehensive, including bullying and gangs.

Gustafson said this is a time for positive change. The sheriff's budget has gone from $50 million to $86 million, and command staff increased from six to 22 captains while the number of patrol units on the road has not changed. During the same time, crime increased.

The primary election is August 26, when Republicans Gustafson and Dunklee will square off with Tom Knight, a former Florida Highway Patrol Major who just entered the race this week and did not take part in the Venice debate. The Republican victor will then appear on the fall ballot against Lavarello, assuming no other Democrats join the contest.
    Click here to read the full story.
    "Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is SUCCESS." -- Henry Ford

Dunklee told a lie. The complaint was sustained. He might have to reread the memo.

overtime

Chief Dunklee said overtime is not a budget item??? Thats seems strange, maybe its another misquote!!! It seems to me that is something that has to be budgeted...
    As a matter of fact I believe it is budgeted and the lapse money he is talking about pays for when we go over the budget amount or to hire folks that we create spots for IE. Frank Carroll or to promote a specialty Lt. for Internal Affairs , or put a Sgt. in the warrants unit. Those weren't in the budget..
    We get lapse money from the following types of areas, since October 1st we have fired one Sworn Sgt and had 2 Majors retire. We have yet to promote anyone to fill those spots...Kurt Hoffman is an acting Major and he was already getting Majors pay.....Its a shell game and they can use the money for anything they want..

Look specifically at the paragraph where it says that he was once investigated for sexual harrasment by a disgruntled employee but those charges where later dropped? Dropped? I am pretty sure that I saw the memo forcing him to appologize to JH

Dunklee said he was investigated by Internal Affairs because a disgruntled employee claimed he had sexually harassed her, although he said the charges "were determined to be unfounded."
    The charge was sustained. I can't believe that Larry Dunklee said that it was unfounded. You just lost my vote buddy. I don't care if you try to downplay that stuff, but don't lie about it because the IA report is public record and can be see by anybody and everybody. What if somebody scans it and then posts it on the web for all the world to see!!! :twisted:

Re: Sheriff candidates square off at Elks Club

[quote=News Flash]Sheriff candidates square off at Elks Club
    Quote Originally Posted by "Susan Hoffman, Sun-Herald":23gl4oju
    VENICE -- Three current candidates for Sarasota County Sheriff squared off recently at the Venice Elks Club. Republicans Larry Dunklee and Dave Gustafson and Democrat Curt Lavarello each had a chance to answer audience questions.

Dunklee, presently chief deputy under Sheriff Bill Balkwill, pointed to gangs as one of the most critical problems facing the county.

"A lot of people don't know we have a gang problem here," Dunklee said. "It's coming from the Bradenton area. I would appoint one or two people to attack the problem aggressively."

Lavarello, who once served part time in the Sheriff's Office, had ideas on how gang activity could be addressed. "Allowing gang graffiti to remain on buildings is not only an eyesore, but it helps recruit more members to these gangs. We have to get serious or we'll end up like Miami."

Gustafson, formerly a Sarasota County deputy and now serving at New College of Florida, raised issues about spending in the Sheriff's Office. "There's been more than $14 million spent on overtime recently," he said. "That could pay for 50 more people. I want to put more certified law enforcement officers on the road, not behind a desk."

All agreed that budget issues were a challenge. Lavarello said, "Efficiency is the key. I would civilianize more jobs to put more officers on the street."

Dunklee, who said he has been largely responsible for putting together the Sheriff's Office budget, said overtime is never budgeted. "Instead, we used 'lapsed' funds." Jobs which have been authorized and accounted for in the budget but have not yet been filled are the source of money used to pay overtime.

Gustafson said he would like to expand the Neighborhood Watch program, as well as hold "town hall meetings" to hear residents' concerns. "North Port has always been neglected, and I want the Sheriff's Office to interact more with them," he said. Gustafson said he has been to North Port "probably 18 to 20 times in the past six months," so he is familiar with the city.

Dunklee said North Port is a difficult area partly because it is a large zone to cover. He said the Sheriff's Office is not responsible within the city limits -- that is the purview of the North Port Police Department. However, he recognized the challenges the city faces.

Lavarello said he would "move away from the mindset that (the Sheriff's Office is) not responsible for part of the county." He would ensure sheriff's representatives took a more active part in meeting with the city and learning about its concerns.

Gustafson said, "Criminal activity doesn't have geographical boundaries. We have to have regular meetings with the police chiefs and let them know the sheriff is there to assist them."

Changes cited by all three

Lavarello noted a need in the Sheriff's Office for more diversity. "There are no minorities among the command staff," he said, adding he would recruit women and minorities more aggressively.

Dunklee, who has been second under Balkwill for three years, noted there are several women in the Sheriff's Office (although none in top leadership). He said despite efforts to recruit at colleges, they have not had much success in recruiting minorities.

Gustafson said he would actively seek out minority leaders in the community, such as through the NAACP, to assist in recruiting.

The candidates were asked if they had ever been subject to an internal investigation. Gustafson said he had "never been investigated in 33 years" of his law enforcement career.

Dunklee said he was investigated once, because a disgruntled employee claimed he had sexually harassed her, although he said the charges "were determined to be unfounded."

Lavarello said he was investigated while he was a part-time officer in Sarasota for a DUI charge, but that "it was later tossed out of court."

Dunklee said one requirement that affects the sheriff's budget and assignment of staff is the need to provide personnel for the jail and courts. "We have a certain number of people we have to provide for corrections and as court bailiffs," he said. Those are fixed by the state and the number cannot be reduced. He also noted some staff members were called up through the military reserves.

Lavarello, who was the chief executive for the National Association of School Resource Officers, felt the county Coalition on Drug Abuse is an important entity that he would like to see run by the Sheriff's Office, with countywide participation. He also would drop the D.A.R.E. curriculum in schools, and instead adopt courses that are more comprehensive, including bullying and gangs.

Gustafson said this is a time for positive change. The sheriff's budget has gone from $50 million to $86 million, and command staff increased from six to 22 captains while the number of patrol units on the road has not changed. During the same time, crime increased.

The primary election is August 26, when Republicans Gustafson and Dunklee will square off with Tom Knight, a former Florida Highway Patrol Major who just entered the race this week and did not take part in the Venice debate. The Republican victor will then appear on the fall ballot against Lavarello, assuming no other Democrats join the contest.
    Click here to read the full story.[/quote:23gl4oju]

CLUELESS about real law enforcement

This agency is stuck in the past somewhere not sure where yet. We need marty and the doc to help us out with the Delorian.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-NMph943tsw&feature=related

Is Dunklee carazy? I'm suprised Gustafson didn't jump all over that. An unfounded sexual harassment complaint. And the Sun Herald will give him a bye on it too.

Hey Sheriff Laverjello, I'm from a certain ethnic group, a female lezbien and I has an adopted chink and mexican child. I's also haves me 4 babies before I knowed I liked girls. I haves never ben a boss or po-po experience and I only have a G.E.D. I've only been arrested 3 times, but they were trumped up charges by them city po-lice.
    I would really like a job at the Sarasota Sheriff's Office. Since you's be the new Sheriff, I was thinkin if I worked really hard, maybe I could gets promoted really fast and be one of them impotant po-po's that tell others whats up.

Thank you,
    Latifa Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Job Applikent
    Hey Sheriff Laverjello, I'm from a certain ethnic group, a female lezbien and I has an adopted chink and mexican child. I's also haves me 4 babies before I knowed I liked girls. I haves never ben a boss or po-po experience and I only have a G.E.D. I've only been arrested 3 times, but they were trumped up charges by them city po-lice.
    I would really like a job at the Sarasota Sheriff's Office. Since you's be the new Sheriff, I was thinkin if I worked really hard, maybe I could gets promoted really fast and be one of them impotant po-po's that tell others whats up.

Thank you,
    Latifa Jackson

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Quote Originally Posted by Job Applikent

Thank you,
    Latifa Jackson
    When I become Sheriff, YOUR HIRED! Tom KNight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast