Tickets to our own - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This whole thing makes very little sense to me. If we investigate a crash involving say, a UPS truck, the UPS driver is going to get a ticket if he is at fault. That same driver will be subject to discipline from UPS as well, but that's not any of our concern. So should it be of no concern to the investigating officer if the at-fault driver is a fellow officer. The investigating officer should handle the crash and take appropriate action (citation) without regard for any discipline that the employer (no matter who it is) may impose.

Why people continue to think police officers should get special treatment is beyond me. We should gladly accept that we are held to a higher standard, and in this case, we are talking about being held to the same standard as everybody else.

To the poster who says he's going to start slacking in his responses because of this--it's time to find a new line of work. Being professional means doing your job well AND being held accountable at the same time. If you're only going to strive for one of these, you don't belong in police work.

Well Said

Couldn't agree with you more!!!

One huge difference, UPS drivers are not multitasking like Law Enforcement Officers. We are expected to multitask like using the radio, using the computer, running tags, being observant of infractions, just to name a few. If there was a policy that forbid us from doing the above things while driving, you would then have a great point.

Mutli Tasking

What makes you a professional police officer is that you can do all those things without crashing.

If you can't do that consistently, then you perhaps are not cut out for this line of work.

You show where the statutes give an excemption for law enforcement officers who are multi tasking from being charged with careless driving.

If you can do that, then you would have a great point.

You now what, sometimes you can't do all those things with out crashing. Sorry Mr Perfect. I don't think it was ever said officers are exempt, but it was professional courtesy because we know what it's like to "multitask" more than the common motorist.

So now we are the only agency in Pinellas that cites their own. We are now the big ****s of the county. Funny how our officers crash in other jurisdictions and they don't get cited, but they come into out city boy, watch out.

Another difference between your agency and U.P.S is they make more money than you do and have a good strong union, they are also hiring

Good Point

I look good in brown.

Higher Standards

I have no problem with being held to a higher standard than other agencies.

That argument of other agencies don't do it, doesn't matter to me.

I am professional, I can multi task and not crash. If I do and I wasn't dealing with something in progress, then give me a ticket. I won't lose sleep.

I have been doing this job a long time, I am prepared to make mistakes and take the consequences professionally.

Listen Captain, the point isn't that we should NEVER get tickets... It's that now we HAVE TO give the ticket... What ever happened to officer discretion?

it's called the McNeil rule.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast