PBA must go! - Page 2
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: PBA must go!

IUPA uses the same law firm to negotiate their contracts as the Fire Fighters! We all know what the Fire Fighters get in their contracts! $$$$$ Its time for us to have a professional law firm negotiate our next contract!

IUPA Dues

The dues for IUPA are $35.00 per month, same as Coastal Florida PBA. However, we charge $5.00 extra per pay (it's your option) from each member in case we decide to open up our own local office. It isn't needed because all of our e-board members are in Port St Lucie, unlike Coastal. You set the dues as much as you want, as long as IUPA gets $35.00 per month.

We now have the money available, to use as the members determine. Political Screenings, helping out a fellow officer during a hardship, etc.

[b]YES, a labor attorney (not a staff rep) will be doing your contracts. This is included in the $35.00 monthly dues.[/b]

I have to admit I completely understand your aggrivation and hesitation in moving to a new union. We experienced the same thing. I can honestly say without any regret that I am COMPLETELY relieved to have moved to IUPA and dumped Coastal PBA. We have taken control of our own destiny and IUPA has met us on EVERY single issue with support and guidance.

I was fortunate enough to have been elected President of our new union's local chapter. I am working with eight other dedicated, talented cops who have also taken this challenge, and met it with the same hope and goals to make our union what it was meant to be. WE now have control of our own destiny and there is NO ONE in another city telling us what to do and not to do. IUPA has been with us since day one and constantly answers calls for help and guides us when needed.

On the occassions when we have asked for an attorney, there was NO QUESTIONS asked an attorney met us on scene or was within phone contact almost immediately. We are in the middle of negotiations and the attorney IUPA has supplied to us is amazing. He has completely re-written our contract to protect us on every issue. He found numerous issues within our "old" contract that clearly shows how much in violation the city has been in some of the pay and labor law issues. There was verbiage in the old contracts that could have been extremely damaging in the event of a push coming to a shove.

Bottom line is this...I could not be happier with the change we made. We pay a bit more but I will tell you that you [b]get back what you pay for 100%[/b]. IUPA has given us a chance to make a difference in our own future. If you have people within your agency that can step up and take control while working with your best interests in mind, then by all means IUPA is for you. You wont be sorry in making that jump. They have been a GODSEND to us so far! I wish you all luck with what you do. Call any one of us if you need anything.

IUPA

What a let down! IUPA came in promising to be our white knight. what a sham! No local office, no local attorneys, no support from the National IUPA. IUPA doesn't even provide a rep for IAs. I recently went through one and they gave me another officer to rep me. Another officer! I want someone trained in IAs to rep me.
    IUPA, please........ :roll:

I Use Paper on my A$$

That's what IUPA stands for! A buddy of mine was an Iupa member when Iupa repped State Law Enforcement. He was terminated from FWC as a Sgt and Iupa told him it wasn't cost effective to represent him. He spent over $60k on his own attorney and won his job back.
    I heard another officer was fired from ABT and had proof that the agency had fabricated documents to do so and once again the toothless tiger Iupa told her that it wasn't cost effective to rep her and the PBA had to step in and salvage her career.
    Don't believe the Iupa crap. If Iupa was so great, why are all of the Iupa nationals getting rid of them? Las Vegas? gone. LA? gone. Massachusetts? leaving.

Coastal PBA has had more leave than IUPA and that's just here in Florida. On IUPA.org they are still listed as members. I have a feeling the above 2 posts are from our outstanding PBA. Get to work and off our site! :shock:

Iupa

REally?
    Let's look at the IUPA lost list:
    1. Florida State Law Enforcement
    2. Florida Highway Patrol
    3. Jupiter PD Officers
    4. Jupiter PD Lieutenants
    5. Clermont PD

Who else do they represent? Oh, hey, Bell Glades. Woo. What about all 20 at North Miami Beach. Yay.

Get a CLUE! IUPA doesn't even lobby the Florida legislature to improve our working conditions in Florida. Their last lobbyist, Chris Moya, was fired for inability to perform. PBA has twenty lobbyists working daily on Florida's law enforcement legislation.
    Yeah I support PBA. That's because PBA is producing! What has IUPA done for PSLPD's contract? NOTHING! They are less than half way done with the contract after negotiating since August. That's 8 months! The PBA was almost 90% done.
    I challenge you to show where IUPA has done one thing better. One thing! No local attorneys. No local office. No local staff reps. No service. That is what IUPA has done for PSL. Thank you Jimmy. Thank you.

Hillsborough County just voted out the PBA 689 to 250 for no representation. I guess no representation at all is better than the PBA! :shock:

IUPA has delivered as promised

First I would like to tell you that I was a PBA Representative from 1996 to 2007 with the Port St Lucie PD. Now I am one of the Vice Presidents with Local 6015, IUPA.

I saw first hand how the services by the PBA deteriorated over the years, while the dues kept increasing. I wasn't the only one that saw this. Several verbal and written complaints were filed with President, Vince Champion, only to fall on deaf ears. He failed to act on this along with complaints from Melbourne PD. It cost them dearly, roughly 300 members leaving PBA.

Things were good until around 1999 to 2000 when in house attorney Winston Borkowski left PBA to take a job with the State of Florida. I have to admit he was the best they ever had and it was downhill ever since he left. Since then they have gone through an attorney at the rate of about one per year. Their attorneys are always on a learning curve. They are unable to retain them, then again after first hand experience, you wouldn't want them. They rehired one that we actually lost an important grievance, because she couldn't count to ten. The number of days to file a grievance, even after being reminded by the reps three times to make sure it was filed within the timeframe. They had another good part time attorney in Phil Lupo from Rockledge, only to squabble over a few dollars and failing to pay him what he was worth. The the PBA hires an attorney from Michigan only to find out that the City of Port St Lucie investigated this and found out he was disbarred in Michigan. What an embarassment for all of us in Port St Lucie when this happened. Our city revealing what the PBA should have before this attorney was hired.

I could go on and on about the bozo's they have hired to represent their members, but I'll let it go. Anyone who has been a member with Coastal PBA since 1999 can honestly say, the services have gone downhill.

Then against the members wishes, they hire a staff representative that was a civilian administrator with our police department, fired by the Police Chief, then they agreed to make it a resignation (forced resignation). They used this individual at IA hearings and at the bargaining table. Would you actually think you had a snowballs chance in an IA by this person representing you. I think not. Once again, this fell on deaf ears by the PBA. Their answer to this was that we will not have staff reps crossing each other on I-95. Boy they really listened to their members wishes. They only think about their pocketbook. The one staff representative that was respected by many was let go or quit because of the BS. Coastal PBA are dictators and run it like so.

Now to the post from the so called PSL Officer who said IUPA doesn't provide a staff rep or an attorney during IA's or not having a local office or attorney.

First of all, I truly believe that the person that wrote that article, IS NOT a PSL Officer. It sounds like the same rhetoric and lies written by a certain VP of Coastal PBA in the PBA BOLO when we voted PBA out.

I can honestly say that IPUA has always supplied a business agent or an attorney during all IA's if the officer asked for it. There are a few officers who are comfortable with the local reps/officers.

Now for the local office. It is our choosing if we want to open a local office. Right now there isn't a need to since all seven executive board members/officers are local and members of the Port St Lucie PD. Can we say the same about Coastal Florida PBA. I don't think so, since they are in Daytona Beach, over 150 miles from Port St Lucie and a 2-1/2 hour drive away. Just think if we needed an attorney from that distance away.

We have local call out attorneys for emergency's. WE HAVE A LABOR ATTORNEY AT THE BARGAINING TABLE FOR OUR CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS. I don't even think Coastal PBA knows what that is.

I have been part of negotiating the last four contracts. Let me tell you how nice it is to have a labor attorney at the table instead of a staff rep telling the city, "we have to get back to you after conferring with legal counsel". Which leads us to the in house attorneys at Coastal. There are many flaws in our previous contracts that the PBA attorney didn't pick up. IT PAYS TO HAVE A LABOR ATTORNEY AT THE TABLE.

For IA's, our attorney is 30 minutes away in Palm Beach Gardens, not like Coastal's attorney which had to travel 150 miles and 2-1/2 hours to Port St Lucie.

In closing our union is run by our [b][u]own police officers, not by people far, far away.

Our members are happy with IUPA. They have delivered on everything they promised. Yeah, we may have one or two die hard PBA fans, but probably not more that that.

Oh by the way, IUPA was voted in by a count of 126 for IUPA and only
    11 for PBA. [b]Just about 92% for IUPA, and a merely 8% for PBA. This should tell you something.

Thank you and I can tell you that you will be happy by dumping PBA. St. Lucie County Sheriff's are very unhappy with Coastal as are the PEA, city employees. Watch out for a mass exodus from Coastal and rightfully so.

The post from "Another PSL officer" has the B/S meter working overtime. He has to be fake by far. I have personally set in on 90% of the IA's dealt with (which by the way I AM "TRAINED") and handled since IUPA's inception and that's a bunch of crap. (Oh by they way...not any ONE of which resulted in anyone getting fired and or offered resignation for "improper emails") and as a matter of fact NO disciplinary actions resulting in time off or terminations have been handed out to date?

Im sorry, but to be honest we have had an attorney at every IA that has merited it so far (which was ONE). ANY decision for an attorney to be or NOT be present has been the decision of the executive board collectively (9 local reps)...not someone in Talahasse that has to get back to you in four or five days after going through three other people. On the others that were possibly involving any type of any REAL discipline, there has been a IUPA rep at the office within hours and attending the IA.

if that person writing that truly IS someone from PBA it just goes to figure... with MORE smoke and mirrors preceeded by lies.

and "former IUPA member"...PBA was 90% done withour contract??? holy crap!?! Oh wait...well maybe yeah....with all the closed door/back room deals like years past?!?!?!

The ATTORNEY at the table NOW (oh thats right... PBA never HAD an attorney at the table for us) has already found where the city has violated SEVERAL state laws and violations of fair labor standards act for the past eight years! So if it take another NINE months....every single officer we represent has said then so be it!

You see we do what OUR MEMBERS WANT DONE.

When protecting the interests of ALL of your members, it takes a little more time than just looking out for a few.

Nevertheless I refuse to make this a stomping ground. Brevard was wanting answers... A few of us wrote in with the first hand truth. I wish only the best of luck!! You would be happy with IUPA if they treat you as good as they do us.

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast