http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...T&SECTION=HOME

Does FHP need more troops to combat their efforts for safer streets?

On a resent trip up north I found other state troopers everywhere. In two of the states I found it funny that drivers were adhering to the posted speed limit, and these were two states that have the reputation of citing you for being just a few miles over the posted limit.

Then I returned to Florida. As soon as I crossed the state line it seemed that the speeds rose to 80 MPH if you want to just stay with the flow of traffic, and others still passing you.

Yesterday I went to Disney. On the drive over and back I actually saw 4 troopers when traveling in both directions! What a change since the fatal crash involving 70 vehicles.

The accident of the past week was a warning to all about the damagers of fog and smoke in this one area. But to compound the problem we have the drivers who are traveling much faster than they should. It would be nice if FHP could add several hundred troopers to their force. It would also be nice if Sheriff Gee had the deputies to send his deputies up onto the the interstates to patrol like in other counties in Florida. You can travel I-4 east of Hillsborough and see counties with deputies working radar along side of FHP or by themselves. But in Hillsborough we are so short handed it is next to impossible to ask a deputy to work the concrete slab.

One time I was caught working radar by a Sheriff on I-275. I had written several tickets for 85+ but that did not matter. I was told that FHP had that duty and if I was caught on the slab again I should be prepared to suffer the consequences.

One thing is certain. FHP is so understaffed that they can not effectively do their job without the cooperation and assistance of all counties and their law enforcement agencies.