December 17, 2007

Rick A. Lott
    Mayor
    City Commission
    City of Plant City, Florida
    302 W. Reynolds Street
    Plant City, Florida 33563

Dear Mayor Lott and City Commissioners:
    We hope this letter finds you and your families well this Christmas season. As you are no doubt aware, an initiative by officers of the Plant City Police Department to seek representation by the West Central Florida Police Benevolent Association was recently undertaken. And while the command level staff and the members seeking representation have a say in this matter, the remaining fifty percent of the department has no voice. We are being forgotten, or altogether ignored. We are most concerned about these recent developments and request that the city commission intervene on our behalf and conduct an independent investigation.

Once the existence of this letter becomes public, it is almost certain we will be labeled as complainers or disgruntled by the administration of the department. In fact, we represent those who come to work daily, do our jobs to the best of our ability, and merely seek the status quo. We represent those who are proud to put on this uniform and wear this badge everyday, who work so that we can spend what little extra time and money we have on our families, and who hope that one day our hard work will pay off in the form of a successful career and a fruitful retirement. We have long been subject to the indiscretions of this agency’s administration just so we can enjoy the benefits of a career with the police department. Because we feared retaliation by the administration and were afraid to speak out, we are now bound to pay the price.

As we have previously stated, we are not in support of the union, but we
    must at least recognize why half the Department has elected to seek outside representation. We believe, at the very least, you should be privy to what has placed us in this predicament. For some time now, the administration, which includes lieutenants, captains and the chief, has been permitted to run the Department freely and with minor oversight by the City Manager’s Office. Unfortunately, this lack of involvement on the part of City Hall has permitted the Chief and the staff to drive morale to its lowest levels. The low morale is not a product of what the administration does, but a product of what it does not do; when an agency, such as ours, is comprised of young and eager officers, they aspire to go above and beyond. The Chief has taken advantage of this will to succeed. On multiple occasions, the Chief has promised officers promotions or transfers in order to keep them from going to larger agencies or to hold down insurrection. The following are recent examples of this policy:

In late June, the Chief announced to the employee advisory board that “big changes” in the form of transfers and promotions would come about in July of 2007. That month came and passed with no fulfillment of those promises. When confronted with this, the Chief denied ever having said this to the advisory board.
    In late August, members of the Department’s Emergency Response Team, including the team leader, began resigning because a lack of support on the part of the Chief. This lack of support included limited funding and the failure to use the team in situations where their use would have been safer than deploying members who were not trained in tactical entries. In early September, the Chief began the selection process to realign the Department’s Emergency Response Team and named a new team leader. The Chief ordered the team to hold tryouts in mid-September. Members of the Department came in on their days off and personal time to tryout for the team. The results were then submitted to the Chief. To this date, no one has been selected for the team and as a result the Department is still without a team to respond to emergency situations that arise within the city.

Then, in what appeared to be a breakthrough, the Chief announced in late September that he was seeking applicants for promotion to sergeant and to the ill fated K-9 program. He further announced in writing that the process for both would be conducted during the month of October with selections being completed in November. To further complicate matters, the Chief announced to the employee advisory board these selections would be completed by November 15, 2007. The Chief conducted oral interviews for K-9 applicants during October. These interviews led the applicants for the K-9 positions to believe selections were imminent and would be done as promised. The Chief elevated the hopes of these officers. As before, November 15th, the day the Chief verbally announced as the deadline for his selections, came and went. The applicants heard nothing from the Chief. He made no announcement as to why no selections were made. The officers, who are mostly young and eager, and who were subjected to the stress of the selection process, felt as though they deserved an explanation. None was ever provided. This, of course, left a bad taste in the mouth of those who sacrificed their time and whose hopes were crushed. The sergeant exam was never conducted. There was less outrage on the part of this group. Most of the sergeant applicants were officers with 6 or more years experience who are used to the procrastination of the Chief and never really felt as though the promise would come to fruition.

This pattern of promises without fulfillment has become the norm at your police department. We affectionately refer to this process as “chasing the carrot.” This ‘”chasing the carrot” mentality has resulted in the loss of many good officers to other agencies, not because of the pay, but because of the laizze fair attitude of the administration which is, and we quote a captain: “if they don’t like it, we can find someone else…there are academy classes graduating all the time.” We feel statements such as that represent poor leadership on the part of the administration and as a result, we find ourselves embroiled in this battle against not only the staff, but our fellow officers. As a commission, you have certainly fulfilled your duties by appointing supervisors to manage the department. Your managers are effective, but they are not leaders. Our Chief feels he does not have to answer to his people and explain why he does the things he does. A true leader communicates with his people. “There is nothing more demoralizing than a leader who can't clearly articulate why we are doing what we're doing.”- Barry Posner. The administration must understand we are not their children. We are adult men and women whose lives depend upon each decision they make.

If you permit a union to infiltrate the ranks of the police department, it will tear us apart. We will no longer represent the cohesive culture that we have come to represent and will therefore become less effective as a law enforcement agency. A division has already begun forming among the ranks. The staff, most of which are either in the DROP or will be entering the DROP, has taken an “us against them” approach toward all the officers, whether they are for the union or not. This stance has alienated those who have been loyal to the Department and have done nothing wrong. We are being lumped in with the union supporters simply because we are officers. We feel this is a slap in the face. There are some of us who have sacrificed many long hours and our families for this city. To be threatened with statements such as “the city will discontinue our take-home vehicle program”, “extra duty will be eliminated” and “things such as tuition reimbursement will no longer exist,” has pushed young and easily influenced officers to the pro union side.

We hope that you will seriously consider the impact that a police union would have on our city. Inaction on the part of the commission can only cause the loss of good officers to other agencies and create disgruntled employees. Please focus on the real issue which is the poor leadership displayed by the staff and the Chief of Police and address the cause of the unhappiness and low morale at the police department. This is not about raises, benefits or the retirement. This is about equality and doing the right thing. We are coming to you, because according to the Chief, the city staff finds humor in the fact that a union is coming in. They do not take the union seriously. The Union has already swore to run a negative smear campaign against the commission, don’t let those you trusted to do a job, and who have failed you, sully your good names. You are all good people, who we know only have the best interest of your employees and constituents at heart. You have proven this time and time again through your actions and your progressive attitudes. Please follow the lead of the City of Bartow and conduct an independent investigation into the low morale at the police department and restore the agency to its proper place among the most professional in the state. It may not prevent the union from being voted in, but it is the right thing to do.

Thank you for listening.
    Sincerely,
    Officers of the Plant City Police Department who are not for the union.

PRO UNION

You stated "If you permit a union to infiltrate the ranks of the police department, it will tear us apart. We will no longer represent the cohesive culture that we have come to represent and will therefore become less effective as a law enforcement agency."

Oh so ganging up on other Officers (breaking labor laws) who have the right to vote is ok? That really shows how cohesive we are right? :shock:

Can you please tell me "why not the Union?" I have yet to hear someone give a vailid reason as to why not to vote a Union in. Oh I agree on the poor leadership, great quote by the way, but why not vote a union in? Please inform me of that..... and also how we will be less effective. I want answers :!: Because I have answers for what it can do...WATCH THE VIDEO.

There are some Officers who are on the fense about the Union, but have you done your research about a Union and what it can do. I hear Officers say HCSO is having problems and so is Lakeland. Have you picked up the phone and called one of there representatives and done some research to find out whats going on with them:?: Or you just going off hearsay :?: Every agency have had some bumps along the way, which were later smoothed out. We are looking towards the future with the Union and what it can do. Watch the video and educate your self what a Union can do. The video clearly states what the PBA will do.

Who Wrote This. . .

. . . Billy McDaniel? What a suck a--!!!

By the way...

Copies of this in letter form have been mailed to the home of the Mayor, all the commssioners, and to George Newman at the Tampa Tribune.

Things will never change in this city. The commission has always allowed the chief to do these things because he sucks their butt and does what they want whatever the cost.

Re: PRO UNION

Yes we have checked with HCSO and LPD. Talked with the officers and not their PBA rep(s). Ask the people that are affected and not the ones making the $$$$$$ off them.

If you are worried about the At Will status within the city, then don't have sex with your co-workers and blame others for your mistakes. The majority have no problems with child behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPD OFFICER
    You stated "If you permit a union to infiltrate the ranks of the police department, it will tear us apart. We will no longer represent the cohesive culture that we have come to represent and will therefore become less effective as a law enforcement agency."

Oh so ganging up on other Officers (breaking labor laws) who have the right to vote is ok? That really shows how cohesive we are right? :shock:

Can you please tell me "why not the Union?" I have yet to hear someone give a vailid reason as to why not to vote a Union in. Oh I agree on the poor leadership, great quote by the way, but why not vote a union in? Please inform me of that..... and also how we will be less effective. I want answers :!: Because I have answers for what it can do...WATCH THE VIDEO.

There are some Officers who are on the fense about the Union, but have you done your research about a Union and what it can do. I hear Officers say HCSO is having problems and so is Lakeland. Have you picked up the phone and called one of there representatives and done some research to find out whats going on with them:?: Or you just going off hearsay :?: Every agency have had some bumps along the way, which were later smoothed out. We are looking towards the future with the Union and what it can do. Watch the video and educate your self what a Union can do. The video clearly states what the PBA will do.

Ok you still have not answered my question as to why we shouldn't vote the Union in. You say you have checked with HCSO and LPD, well......give me answers. No one here that is anti-union has been able to give me an answer. If someone gives me a valid reason to change the outlook of bringing in a Union, I am all ears. Just saying "don’t do it" is not good enough for me. Maybe you should think about setting up a “anti Union meeting” and explain your side of the story. Convince me :!: I’ll bring my PBA Rep too.

Quote Originally Posted by 3
    Yes we have checked with HCSO and LPD. Talked with the officers and not their PBA rep(s). Ask the people that are affected and not the ones making the $$$$$$ off them.

If you are worried about the At Will status within the city, then don't have sex with your co-workers and blame others for your mistakes. The majority have no problems with child behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPD OFFICER

Oh so ganging up on other Officers (breaking labor laws) who have the right to vote is ok? That really shows how cohesive we are right?

Ganging up?? Whatever! You support it and go after more support. We don't support it and talk to others about why the non support. Breaking labor laws??? Don't think so!! Coming from a small group that is hiding and not informing everyone on the meeting location. If it is so good for us then there will be no one that will vote, NO. Just shut up and bring on the vote.

[quote=PRO UNION]Ok you still have not answered my question as to why we shouldn't vote the Union in. You say you have checked with HCSO and LPD, well......give me answers. No one here that is anti-union has been able to give me an answer. If someone gives me a valid reason to change the outlook of bringing in a Union, I am all ears. Just saying "don’t do it" is not good enough for me. Maybe you should think about setting up a “anti Union meeting” and explain your side of the story. Convince me :!: I’ll bring my PBA Rep too.

Quote Originally Posted by "PCPD OFFICER":3c8ij7g6

[/quote:3c8ij7g6]

Please inform me of that..... and also how we will be less effective. I want answers Because I have answers for what it can do...WATCH THE VIDEO.

PBA rep will say anything to get your money.

quote="t"]Oh so ganging up on other Officers (breaking labor laws) who have the right to vote is ok? That really shows how cohesive we are right?

Ganging up?? Whatever! You support it and go after more support. We don't support it and talk to others about why the non support. Breaking labor laws??? Don't think so!! Coming from a small group that is hiding and not informing everyone on the meeting location. If it is so good for us then there will be no one that will vote, NO. Just shut up and bring on the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by PRO UNION
    Ok you still have not answered my question as to why we shouldn't vote the Union in. You say you have checked with HCSO and LPD, well......give me answers. No one here that is anti-union has been able to give me an answer. If someone gives me a valid reason to change the outlook of bringing in a Union, I am all ears. Just saying "don’t do it" is not good enough for me. Maybe you should think about setting up a “anti Union meeting” and explain your side of the story. Convince me :!: I’ll bring my PBA Rep too.

Quote Originally Posted by "PCPD OFFICER":1luxdyou

[/quote:1luxdyou]

"PBA rep will say anything to get your money."

Its funny how you can not answer my question as to why we should not vote them in. Is the above statement the best valid reason you can give? Why don't you set up a meeting and advise us why we should not vote them in, for a second time. I want to hear the answers. In addition there was a letter that came down from the PBA to the Chief, informing him of some senior Officers coercing other Officers off to the side at work and in roll call. That is illegal. But I will shut up now.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Col. Jessep: You want answers?
    Kaffee: I think I'm entitled.
    Col. Jessep: You want answers?
    Kaffee: I want the truth.
    Col. Jessep: You can't handle the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by gg
    Please inform me of that..... and also how we will be less effective. I want answers Because I have answers for what it can do...WATCH THE VIDEO.

PBA rep will say anything to get your money.

quote="t"]Oh so ganging up on other Officers (breaking labor laws) who have the right to vote is ok? That really shows how cohesive we are right?

Quote Originally Posted by PRO UNION

Quote Originally Posted by "PCPD OFFICER":1ufrk5ve

[/quote:1ufrk5ve]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast