Quote Originally Posted by officerinblue
No, I don't work for the city council, just smart enough to see how our city handled and treated the fire department when they went union. Most of the officers pushing the union haven't been here long enough to remember that. As far as protection, the fire department is a contracted worker and they are still "at will employees". that will never change.
I am a former police officer at Plant City, so the union vote doesn't affect me anymore. I worked at Plant City for a long time and the union came up many times. Each time, the will of the Officers involved caved. For some, they got what they wanted directly from Chief...a position, etc. Others were frightened off by the fear of retaliation. I can't tell you what will happen if you vote for a union now. I will say if we voted for a union many years ago, this would be a significantly different department. Some Officers would still be here and others who are here would have been terminated. Some Officers would have been promoted anyway while others wouldn't have. Anything you hold dear such as take home cars, etc would have already been resolved. Punishment would be uniform. The practice of punishing Officers and Supervisors by taking them off the street and putting them on a desk for a year or more to write reports would end. This includes unfair demotions or lateral transfers.

Some Officers may have been glad to see someone treated in this manner, but it could just as well happen to you.

As far as the At Will clause, Plant City is only one of two cities in Florida with it in its constitution. The City Commission can change the constitution but will only do it if there is a reason to, not out of the goodness of their hearts.

It is your turn now. Your decision to make. If you go with a union, get a good one. One that will help, not hinder you. If someone is overly benefitting or suffering from the current situation, don't let them be the deciding factor. Make your own decision. I've read about some of the things going on there now. From the history of Plant City Police Dept's union efforts. Approx 23 years ago, a sergeant retired. When it came to a union vote, the city allowed the retired sergeant to vote ensuring the Union was voted down.

Tampa's Union is a good example. Bartow's Union was a bad example. You can continue the way it has been for over a decade or you can take your lumps and hope it will be better for you and those who come after you.