Stay STRONG!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stay STRONG!!!

There are a lot of us officers who want nothing to do with the union and all the trouble it will bring. Because of a few screw ups are scared for their jobs they are bring this union on all of us. It doesn't only affect the screw ups it affects all of us. A lot of people are jumping to conclusions about the take home cars being taken away and canceling all extra duty. that isn't the case. Two jobs where removed, and I will agree the timing couldn't be worse, but what do you really think a union can do. I just ask everyone to do your research and not just listen what the PBA rep says. Like he said, "we can get that, IF IT'S IN THE CONTRACT" but the city wont put it in the contract. Just do the research and vote accordingly.

All I can say is do your homework and vote with your consceince. Don't let anyone influince your vote. Everything that we now have is negotiable when the union steps in. They wil take our money and make promisees they can't keep without the vote of they city commission, That being said the members that count live in walden lake and are comfortable with their safety and security. CITY COMMISSIONERS STOPR AND THINK OR RIDE WITH US. STOP COMPARING US TO THE GARBAGE MAN OR PUBLIC WORKS EMPLOYEE. WHO ELSE IN THIS CITY HAS TO WEAR A GUN BELT AND ALL THAT GOES WITH IT AND A BULLET PROOF VEST TO GO TO WORK. ANSWER NOBODY. SO START THINKING ABOUT HOSE OF US WHO PUT OUR LIES ON THE LINE EVERYDAY. EVEN FIREMEN WHO REPSOND TO LIFE THREATENING SITUATIONS DO NOT HAVE TO RESPOND UNTIL THE POLICE MAKE SURE THE AREA IS SAFE FOR THEM TO ENTER. WHY DONT YOU TRY IT SOMEDAY AND SEE HOW IT FEELS

I completely agree with you, you can't compare us to any other department in the city. you are also correct that the city commision decides what we get and they don't know what it's like to live on 40 a year, that probably wont even pay their light bill. A union will not make them give us more only fight what we want, they don't want someone coming in telling them how to run the city. dont think a union will help, but if everyone does their homework and thats what the majority wants i guess we will have to live with it

It seems like there is only one choice. Does anybody know when and where we vote?

Union

Not too long ago I was all for giving the Chief a chance to prove that he was ready to make the changes needed to make the troops happy. Well, he has promised change time and time again and when the deadlines he sets for himself come up nothing happens. He was warned by many for most of this year that if he did nothing then nothing could be done to stop the union.

The scare tactics of the past - taking away cars and off-duty jobs - are not working this time. If anything it has made some who were not sure see that we need union protection. If they are not scared of the union then they would not be trying so hard to keep it from being voted in.

Its gonna be a tough time for most of us. Stay strong. ROCK THE VOTE!!!!

P.S. I heard City Hall is filing some type of court action to try to stop the vote. If this is true, the Union will have to have as many of us as possible show up in person to show our support. Then and only then will we be able to vote. (not sure if this is totally accurate but i think its close)

say noooooo

Just say no.

PRO UNION

Can someone give me a reason as to why the Union should not be voted in. I have yet to hear that.........

Can someone give me one good reason to vote a union in, I haven't heard one. i only heard about how crappy it will get around here for several years, how we will have to pay dues, not get raises for several years, still not get the protection everyone thinks because the city WONT give that up.

Quote Originally Posted by officerinblue
    Can someone give me one good reason to vote a union in, I haven't heard one. i only heard about how crappy it will get around here for several years, how we will have to pay dues, not get raises for several years, still not get the protection everyone thinks because the city WONT give that up.
    I guess you work the city council, and know what they will and will not do? I value every opinion both positive and negative so I am no being a jerk, but I do not see where people get their information from? Examples? $100+ for dues per month. This was dead wrong. You will not get protection. This is also wrong. Speak with any member of any union in any city, county, or state. You'll hear a different answer than that. Now lets be realistic on what we CAN expect. The PBA will provide a stabil, fair, and uniform system which unfortuanately we do not have. Not only in the disciplinary system, but in hiring, promotoional, and grievance systems. The union will give you a voice in your future. It will be up to you to help, and excercise that voice.

What will it take to make a union successful? That is probably the best question to ask. Here is my opinion on what it will take:

- All officers of this department, both pro and anti union to unite and work for our common goal of a better department.

- Patience and understanding to know that this will not be an immediate fix but that if WE continue to work towards the common goal we set that we will be better for it.

- Dedication

I believe that our officers will come together and have those three things. I think that all officers want what is best for this department, and I think that all of our officers are willing to work together to make that happen. I understand completely being afraid of change but I also believe that without change we will continue to fall further and further behind. It's time to step up and make the decision to work together as a group to obtain what we deserve.

No, I don't work for the city council, just smart enough to see how our city handled and treated the fire department when they went union. Most of the officers pushing the union haven't been here long enough to remember that. As far as protection, the fire department is a contracted worker and they are still "at will employees". that will never change.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast