Tactical Vests
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Vests

Tactical Vests

One change in policy I would like to see is allowing us to wear tactical vest if we choose to instead of our current vests. Fort Lauderdale allows this and it not only looks good but allows the officers to carry extra magazines and extra equipment if the officer so desires. I also believe the officers that don't wear a vest while working would rather a tactical vest to throw over if something goes down. I wouldn't even mind coming out of pocket for the tactical carrier. Does anybody else like this idea or want to comment on this?

I think it's a great idea as well. I personally don't ever think we would be allowed to only because it's looks too "intimidating". Forget our safety and well being...we're too scary.... Especially with all the shooting/robberies lately, it would add some needed protection for us. These scumbags don't have anything to lose and they don't give a $hit.

Well part of the problem with the tactical vests if that they are bulky. They create some difficulty when trying to draw your firearm, and can actually prevent you from doing it. That is why K9 has thigh holsters, and SSU is going to thigh holsters. PP sells the carrier for about $100, and anybody can buy one if they want. They will customize it to fit your body armor. But to wear it over your blues would look kinda stupid in my opinion. It doesn't look professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Well part of the problem with the tactical vests if that they are bulky. They create some difficulty when trying to draw your firearm, and can actually prevent you from doing it. That is why K9 has thigh holsters, and SSU is going to thigh holsters. PP sells the carrier for about $100, and anybody can buy one if they want. They will customize it to fit your body armor. But to wear it over your blues would look kinda stupid in my opinion. It doesn't look professional.
    Thigh holster were started by the British military SAS to keep the holster and pistol away from the (over the uniform) ballistic vest. The vest would ride up and then cover the pistol and not be available when needed. Since the SAS are cool dudes, American cops wanted to be cool too. So they started wearing them thinking the holster improved the CDI (chicks dig it) factor. They however suck for holster retention because you can't cover them with your arm if someone tries to disarm you. They suck even more when riding around in a vehicle.

City has gone to hell

The tac vest that we are all use to sucks. It is bulky. But if you have see Fort Lauderdales it is difference. It wears closer to the body and has that new mole system where everything attaches to it. Mag ouch u name it it holds it. Newest stuff out. It costs a few bucks but who cares. If ur at the station you can take it off easily. But again some one said it. Its too intimidating which is bull. This department want to do nothing but sugar coat the truth from the residents. Admin needs to grow a set and stop paper pushing and look at the real deal. We have many people here that dont wear vests but like the option of the tac vest. This city has had how many homicides? How many robberies and shootings. Lets get real the intimidation factor is a poor excuse. The criminals are running the city. We dont do anything pro active. We just take reports. Its time for BDU and tac vests. We should all look like anti crime/safe streets. Its time to show an image to the bad guys. The citizens dont care what we wear. Its not the Barney Fife days anymore. They just want to be protected. But then again most residents on the west just enjoy all their fancy homes and cars and are oblivious to the truth. But then again all the decision makers live out there anyway. Im sure the residents on the east side have had enough. This city has gotten a bad rep. Its time for a change. Other citys are high speed and do what it takes. We just take reports again and again. But try to put it under one case number because we dont want it to look bad for the stats and IBP. Give me a break! Its time to step up MIRAMAR! And then again u have to know its bad if the City Commisioners are armed and dangerous!!!!!!!!!

And its not spell checked so dont say anything.

Ft Lauderdale carries many different styles of tac vest and so far i have seen no complaints from those who wear it...

so put your purses down and man up

Speak Up Guys

I would love to have the option to wear a tactical vest. Even if i had to buy my own carrier. The problem I see is even if everyone things it is a good idea, nobody will man up and goto one of our captains or majors and voice up. I would but im on probation and dont want to stir up $hit. Im sure somebody is in good with one of these majors or even chief and talk to him about it. If it isn't brought up to the people to make the decisions, they won't know what we want. Please someone bring the issue up. We could all benefit from it if we choose to wear one.

Admin guy: "well lets just remember one thing guys its intimidating too the public".

you know when you see a road officer wearing a tac vest it lets the subject their dealing with KNOW THAT WE MEAN BUSINESS. THUS THE SUBJECT takes a second look at the officer...

now if the coinhabitants JB and AL our fearless pba leader were to wear one they would just look hideous

Re: City has gone to hell

Quote Originally Posted by Time for change
    If ur at the station you can take it off easily. But again some one said it. Its too intimidating which is bull. This department want to do nothing but sugar coat the truth from the residents. Admin needs to grow a set and stop paper pushing and look at the real deal. We have many people here that dont wear vests but like the option of the tac vest. This city has had how many homicides? How many robberies and shootings. Lets get real the intimidation factor is a poor excuse. The criminals are running the city. We dont do anything pro active. We just take reports. Its time for BDU and tac vests. We should all look like anti crime/safe streets. Its time to show an image to the bad guys. The citizens dont care what we wear. But then again all the decision makers live out there anyway. Im sure the residents on the east side have had enough. This city has gotten a bad rep. Its time for a change. Other citys are high speed and do what it takes. We just take reports again and again. But try to put it under one case number because we dont want it to look bad for the stats and IBP. Give me a break! Its time to step up MIRAMAR! And then again u have to know its bad if the City Commisioners are armed and dangerous!!!!!!!!!

Im just gonna quote some of your comments in support. Many residents that I have dealt with on the east and west side have noticed the change in the city as well as the police department. Many of the residents have complained to me and said the police department is of no help because the bad guys are winning in Miramar.

A few officers do not wear there vests. Im sure once approved they would definetly put a tac vest on because its more suitable for them in many ways.

I think both squads should at least have the option on their work fridays to wear BDU's or some other form of uniform. Cmon we work 11 1/2 shifts we are constantly running calls. I wanna say everyday there is at least one legit shooting, Now that doesnt mean that someone needs to be injured or dead but that someone physically fired off a shot. most of the times its more than 1 shooting daily.....

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Ft Lauderdale carries many different styles of tac vest and so far i have seen no complaints from those who wear it...

so put your purses down and man up
    If anything the community supports them as well as the ((((ADMIN)))

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast