Senior Drill Instructor Stu O'Shannon - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Hey Bond, you need to look at Senate Bill 706 that has been introduced by Senator Carey Baker. The bill would extend drop by 36 months if you can meet a physical requirement.

This is just part of his bill:

b. Special Risk Class members who are employed as law
    enforcement officers, correctional officers, or community-based
    correctional probation officers, as described in s. 121.0515(2),
    having a rank or the equivalent rank of captain or below, and who
    are currently participating in DROP for up to 60 months may elect
    to participate for an additional 36 calendar months. However, in
    order to participate the member must, before beginning the
    additional 36 months, pass the same physical examination required
    for new officers under s. 943.13(6) and provide an accompanying
    statement from the officer's examining physician, physician
    assistant, or certified advanced registered nurse practitioner
    that the officer is capable of performing the essential functions
    of his or her duties as a law enforcement officer, correctional
    officer, or probation officer.

Re: hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by 007bond
    Fat has nothing to do with it.
    Its if you are physically able to do the job which you are.
    Not only that you are smart.
    However, some people can't do the job because they are obese. I actually feel bad for them because if they ever had to defend themselves from hand to hand combat, they couldn't do it.
    The one girl dropped out because it was obvious she had no commanding presence.
    Is it better to let her get her arse whipped on the highway and let a passerby find her dead in a ditch?
    Physical fitness has to be a priority.
    You can be overweight and be physically fit but you cant be obese and tell me that you are able to do it.
    I agree ref: obese. I've watched people struggle to make the 7 minute (or 6, whatever it is now) cutoff on the PAT. You could see the shame on their face and I felt really bad for them. I've also seen skinny smokers struggle as well.

It must be hard for females as well, especially the attractive ones. When they try to use body language and words to control people I bet most people don't initially take them seriously. There are some female Deputies I've met however that flat out own the area around them and have a very commanding presence. A certain Corporal in D2 comes to mind, she makes me want to prone out every time I hear her yell!

For some reason, every time I see the Sheriff I involuntarily suck it in. I feel like I'm 15 and back on the beach in Daytona again and trying to impress the ladies with my muskulls.....

Well after reading, watching and listening to the article, video and sound bite there is only one thing to say. I have known Stu for many years and I got a woody just sitting here. His words damn near make me wanna go to the two week course.

Why is a two week course such a hard thing for these mostly young guys and gals to go through? I'm a little older now and spent alot of years in the military which included Army basic training. Back then (the 1980's) basic training was easy for me. Now being older it would probally be alot harder. That said alot of the recruits that we are getting now have no miltary training, just college. Whats wrong with testing their intestinal fortitude for two weeks? It's only two weeks and once the academy and module training is going the "classroom" work begins.

And then I see Shawn Dugan is one of the instructors. There's NO ONE you would want more as a X94 than Shawn. Hell, I'd pay money to have him come back me up on a hot call.

Yes, there is a hell of alot more to being a cop than being able to win a fight with either your hands or the tools on your "bat" belt. Your best weapon is your mind and communication skills. Talking someone into your back seat is a heck of alot more conducive to a long career than fighting with everyone. Besides, as you get older you realize that the fight you had last night at work hurts today.

All I'm saying is don't be afraid to try new things and new training techniques.

Hey "fltoddy." You gonna come out to play this weekend in DIV? We / I would love to hear you reserve guys and gals out there. Nuttin but love for ya, nuttin but love. :wink:

Blog

Quote Originally Posted by The Nitely Blog
    Well after reading, watching and listening to the article, video and sound bite there is only one thing to say. I have known Stu for many years and I got a woody just sitting here. His words darn near make me wanna go to the two week course.

Why is a two week course such a hard thing for these mostly young guys and gals to go through? I'm a little older now and spent alot of years in the military which included Army basic training. Back then (the 1980's) basic training was easy for me. Now being older it would probally be alot harder. That said alot of the recruits that we are getting now have no miltary training, just college. Whats wrong with testing their intestinal fortitude for two weeks? It's only two weeks and once the academy and module training is going the "classroom" work begins.

And then I see Shawn Dugan is one of the instructors. There's NO ONE you would want more as a X94 than Shawn. Hell, I'd pay money to have him come back me up on a hot call.

Yes, there is a hell of alot more to being a cop than being able to win a fight with either your hands or the tools on your "bat" belt. Your best weapon is your mind and communication skills. Talking someone into your back seat is a heck of alot more conducive to a long career than fighting with everyone. Besides, as you get older you realize that the fight you had last night at work hurts today.

All I'm saying is don't be afraid to try new things and new training techniques.
    Not to screw this thread up but, back on 12-03-07 I replied to you under the post on the union apology to.... please check it out

Stu

Here's a brief synopsis of Stu's career in case you're looking for dirt. Some good stuff in here including some pics:

http://www.usd.edu/~jhenriqu/web/howie/

Charlie's Angels

Hey "fltoddy." You gonna come out to play this weekend in DIV? We / I would love to hear you reserve guys and gals out there. Nuttin but love for ya, nuttin but love. :wink:
    Yup, we'll be down to just 2 cars but we'll still be hustling.

Don't hog all the 220's either, you know how mad that makes me....

Re: Charlie's Angels

Quote Originally Posted by fltoddy
    Yup, we'll be down to just 2 cars but we'll still be hustling.

Don't hog all the 220's either, you know how mad that makes me....
    Cool. It's a deal. You take the 220's and juvenile problem calls I'll take the paper. Thanks bro and have a great time.

Are you sure that's not your favoriate web page?? Don't ask don't tell...

Nope...

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Are you sure that's not your favoriate web page?? Don't ask don't tell...
    Nope, not my favoriate.

But, if you ask, I'll tell.

Heck, I'll just go ahead and tell now.

I'm like Sure (the deodorant)......I'm strong enough for a man, but made for a woman.

Now it's my turn to ask questions:

What's your most used computer command? C: enter?

(If you're slow, sound it out......)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast