I saw the Sheriff last night
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I saw the Sheriff last night

I'm a Reserve, and I have stayed out of the whole PBA/Union/Contract discussion as it's none of my business. As such, I ask that you don't label this as propaganda because that's not my intention. To be honest, I've lost track of who the good guys and bad guys are. All I know is if I see a guy with green pants and a badge, he's on my side.

Last night at our Reserve meeting one of our own, R2 Sgt. Andy (last name withheld) came to the meeting. He was retiring after almost 20 years of service due to a debilitating illness that has left him partially paralyzed. For those of you who don't know Andy, picture Hulk Hogan at the peak of his career, add about 3 inches in height and 2 inches on the biceps and that's Andy. To see him barely able to walk was a stark reminder of how fragile life can be.

Present at the meeting were Major Duncan, Captain Greco, and Sheriff Gee. They all came by to pay tribute to Andy and Sheriff Gee presented him with a plaque, an honorary badge, and a memento of their service together several years back. They were there on their own time because they wanted to honor Andy. Their attendance was a surprise, so none of us had cameras and none of the media was present. It only happened in our minds as far as public record goes, so even my cynical mind couldn't come up with an ulterior motive.

All current scandals aside, I was impressed with the Sheriff and thought his attendance spoke volumes about his character. I don't know anything about what he's like to work for full-time, but I personally have few doubts that he cares about the individual Reserve Deputies, down to the "lowest" level, and that he values the contributions that each of us make.

Having spent 20+ years in the business world, I can tell you that the Executive level is typically not stocked with charitable people that care enough about the "little people" to go out of their way to do anything for them. I'm not being cynical, I have countless examples to back my assessment up.

Having spent time on some non-profit boards, I can tell you that keeping volunteers happy can be much more difficult than keeping "regulars" happy. Volunteers can be high maintenance, insecure, moody, and with no real dog in the fight, very non-committal. They can wear your butt out in a hurry, and with no real power over them you've got to have some leadership qualities to motivate them.

I also know that the volunteers are as happy as we can be. Most of our squabbles are just internal Reserve cat fights and bruised egos. We feel appreciated, valued, and just about every reasonable request we make is granted. I know that's not all due to the Sheriff, but I do know for sure that if the head of an organization didn't feel that way, it would trickle down and become obvious fairly quickly. In the month of November alone, the Reserves volunteered almost 5,500 hours. That's pretty good for a group of roughly 100 volunteers and a pretty good indication of the health of the organization.

If you're an employee of the Sheriff, I can't speak to your complaints and will continue to mind my own business. I hope everything works out well for you and I personally appreciate all that you do.

If you're a citizen of Hillsborough County, in my opinion our Sheriff is a good man and a man of character and conviction. Momma always said "respect the position even if you don't respect the man." Like it or not, he is "our" Sheriff and his position deserves respect. Contrary to some of the scuttlebutt on this board, I believe he is a moral man and someone who cares about your safety and well being and personally deserves our respect as well. Short staffing, zone deployment, population growth, those are all valid issues but the men and women of HCSO do, and always will, manage to git 'er done. Bad guys go to jail, good guys go home, lather, rinse, repeat.

As a volunteer, Sheriff Gee is a man that I gladly donate my time to and someone whom I can relate to in regards to his convictions and beliefs. Out on the street, I don't think there is a finer group of individuals; from the newest rookie all the way up to the Sheriff.

I am glad that the sheriff was able to attend. However I can state that there are many times when he was not present when members with 20,25 or even 30+ years retired. We have even had a deputy that was very ill retire and he was no where to be seen. Was it because he had another engagement? Don't know. But i do know that there have been occasions when he was not present when the quarterly awards were handed out and the Office "formally" thanked those that were retiring. These engagements are set months in advance and should be on one's calendar as a must attend as the troops do notice. If I was sheriff I would have no problems what so ever turning down a request to be somewhere else, as my people would be #1.

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I am glad that the sheriff was able to attend. However I can state that there are many times when he was not present when members with 20,25 or even 30+ years retired. We have even had a deputy that was very ill retire and he was no where to be seen. Was it because he had another engagement? Don't know. But i do know that there have been occasions when he was not present when the quarterly awards were handed out and the Office "formally" thanked those that were retiring. These engagements are set months in advance and should be on one's calendar as a must attend as the troops do notice. If I was sheriff I would have no problems what so ever turning down a request to be somewhere else, as my people would be #1.
    That is a shame that he didn't attend those events. I can't speak for the Sheriff on those occasions and don't know what reason (if any) he didn't attend.

I think leaders often forget that sometimes a simple item on their to do list is a memorable, once in a lifetime occurrence for someone else.

It's like when a citizen comes up and says "Hey, remember me? You came to the accident I got in 3 years ago." We don't remember because it was one of hundreds over those 3 years, but to them it seems like yesterday and it is unimaginable to them that we don't remember.

Want to be a trend setter? Ask him. Maybe he had a valid excuse, maybe not. As a manager, I always appreciate when people ask me and give me a chance to respond rather than making assumptions. If it would be career suicide to ask, private message me the details and I'll ask. My pay stays the same.

It also helps keep the leaders accountable when we ask them the tough questions.

Reminds me of when Joe Docobo read reports and had Staff Inspections check with victims as to how they were treated by the deputies. Those deputies that good a good report received only a letter with a hand written note from Joe thanking them for their dedicated work. That one gesture on his part brought pride to many deputies. Too bad that these little notes aren't still coming as they meant a lot to all. Funny how such little things can mean more than a raise.

need better system

Reminds me of when Joe Docobo read reports and had Staff Inspections check with victims as to how they were treated by the deputies. Those deputies that good a good report received only a letter with a hand written note from Joe thanking them for their dedicated work. That one gesture on his part brought pride to many deputies. Too bad that these little notes aren't still coming as they meant a lot to all. Funny how such little things can mean more than a raise.
    I have to agree with you to a certain extent. To me it seems that the same people get recognized month after month, because their supervisor took the time to NOT BE LAZY and write a "Adda Boy" letter or recommend their troops for performance awards.

It is a shame that if you have a supervisor who could care less about looking out for their people, you never get the recognition that is due.

There needs to be a better way of thanking your troops, since better pay is obviously not going to be one of the ways with this administration, unless you are NON-UNION of course!

I see many great deeds go unnoticed and yet some deputies get a commendation for hosting a "Tea party", although we all know who the real workers are at this office, even if the administration is blind to it.

The paperwork that is needed for an "atta boy" need not come from a supervisor. If you see someone do something that is worth while you can write a memo to the major telling him what you observed. Most times that will result in the deputy being recognized for their actions.

Re: need better system

I have to agree with you to a certain extent. To me it seems that the same people get recognized month after month, because their supervisor took the time to NOT BE LAZY and write a "Adda Boy" letter or recommend their troops for performance awards.

It is a shame that if you have a supervisor who could care less about looking out for their people, you never get the recognition that is due.

There needs to be a better way of thanking your troops, since better pay is obviously not going to be one of the ways with this administration, unless you are NON-UNION of course!

I see many great deeds go unnoticed and yet some deputies get a commendation for hosting a "Tea party", although we all know who the real workers are at this office, even if the administration is blind to it.
    I believe you and I are must be in the same district. Well said brother!

District IV is a great place to work, and believe it or not, has great supervisors. A great job or some community service work on your own time rarely goes unnoticed. So, I know that you are not from DIV! I agree, a commendation, for the price of it, goes a long way! Pay is important, but it isn't everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    The paperwork that is needed for an "atta boy" need not come from a supervisor. If you see someone do something that is worth while you can write a memo to the major telling him what you observed. Most times that will result in the deputy being recognized for their actions.
    In 8 years I have written 3 memos observing 2 deputies and a citizen. I thought it would be nice if our major thanked a citizen for their invaluable help in a case. All three never made it past the Lieutenant.

I'll still write em though.

I can recall in the old days that we had a female deputy who frequently gave public presentations on the influence of the occult in criminal activities. (No, she wasn't in Crime Prevention.)

At the conclusion of every talk she mentioned that it would benefit her if people in the audience would write letters to the Sheriff expressing appreciation for her efforts.

Needless to say her personnel file was absolutely stuffed with commendation letters.

However, no one was fooled. She never made rank from it.

:wink:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast