Sick leave and vacation leave

Sick leave and vacation leave

An important issue that needs to be discussed is , need for more vacation time, and a sick bank that all officers could donate to.

Re: Sick leave and vacation leave

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    An important issue that needs to be discussed is , need for more vacation time, and a sick bank that all officers could donate to.
    I second that

Negative ghost rider! More vacation time = OK, I'll take that. But donating SICK time for someone else to use = I don't think so! If guys / gals have used up whatever sick time they had accumulated, well then too bad. You just don't get paid for the next sick day. I have accumulated 10 years of sick time (I have never called out sick in that 10 years) and will be damned if I'm going to donate some of my time to those that ABUSE SICK TIME. Cops need to realize we are paid to come to work - not call out sick every other day or in conjunction with your days off. Just my two cents worth! cha-ching.

Quote Originally Posted by workaholic
    Negative ghost rider! More vacation time = OK, I'll take that. But donating SICK time for someone else to use = I don't think so! If guys / gals have used up whatever sick time they had accumulated, well then too bad. You just don't get paid for the next sick day. I have accumulated 10 years of sick time (I have never called out sick in that 10 years) and will be damned if I'm going to donate some of my time to those that ABUSE SICK TIME. Cops need to realize we are paid to come to work - not call out sick every other day or in conjunction with your days off. Just my two cents worth! cha-ching.
    What if you get cancer and you use all your sick time that you have saved, I would donate some of mine to you. I can tell by your post what you stand for, sad. I wish you and your family well.

Sick Time

Exactly, sick bank would only be used in the event of a serious illness or injury, that would require an extended period time away from work. Obviously the person writing the post opposing this, has no clue, or does not realize that if you get injured or very ill, after your sick leave runs out your screwed.

Re: Sick Time

Exactly, sick bank would only be used in the event of a serious illness or injury, that would require an extended period time away from work. Obviously the person writing the post opposing this, has no clue, or does not realize that if you get injured or very ill, after your sick leave runs out your screwed.
    Why would you want a bank for it, though? Why not just allow people to donate time to "in need" officers on a case-by-case basis? The bank is a p.i.t.a. to administer.........

Wow, been here 10 years huh.... that narrows down the pool of posibilities on the poster. Lord forbid if someone got real sick, I wouldnt wish that on anyone but I do agree that a sick pool is not a bad idea. This agency is getting big enough that it is possible to create. The sick time would not just be given away, it would be assessed as to whether or not the person requesting it has a valid request. Workaholic aperently has never been a part of one of these programs and doesnt know how they work. As far as just donating time to one individual, most agencies make you donate your vacation time which takes us a while to accumulate. I like the sick pool idea better. Give this place time, they have come a long way already.... nothing happens over night.

time off

Wow I guess I'm just selfish!! Too bad, I don't give a damn what you think about me personally. I have only two issues to clarify and hope you would understand. 1 - If you are out for an extended amount of time you will probably qualify for long-term disability insurance benefits. You can also recover monies through AFLAC. 2 - I had in the past donated time to two seperate officers (one who had cancer; the other gave birth) and both officers resigned from the department and "cashed out" their respective sick time money before it was used. Time that was donated by many other officers. Do you think that is really fair? To put extra money in someone elses pocket? I DON"T THINK SO!!! Hope you all see my point - I won't get screwed again.

Re: time off

Wow I guess I'm just selfish!! Too bad, I don't give a darn what you think about me personally. I have only two issues to clarify and hope you would understand. 1 - If you are out for an extended amount of time you will probably qualify for long-term disability insurance benefits. You can also recover monies through AFLAC. 2 - I had in the past donated time to two seperate officers (one who had cancer; the other gave birth) and both officers resigned from the department and "cashed out" their respective sick time money before it was used. Time that was donated by many other officers. Do you think that is really fair? To put extra money in someone elses pocket? I DON"T THINK SO!!! Hope you all see my point - I won't get screwed again.
    No you're not selfish and sometimes things are not fair, but when you did donate some time you got burned, However YOU did the the right thing and I admire you for doing that. The long term disability will not happen because it's not job related. We do have a caring dept. The other Chief did take care of us. I know of a few officers that had no sick time and the Chief told them not to worry just to get well, Floyd did a good job and he did care I think we all agree to that and Charlie is the same he cares about us, I remember Floyd told us Charlie would take of our needs and I believe that. You did the right thing and I commend you for that, but don't let that incident affect your feelings toward anyone else. We will always be a team.

hey there smart one, obviously you have never worked any where but here. To calm your nerves on sick time "banking" the days can only be sued if a person is out from work,. with a doctors notice (long term) for a long time, say weeks or months. At our old agency it was only available to those with more than three weeks out or more... So your comment although clear is a bit paranoid at best....