LETTERS TO THE PAPER THIS WEEK - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quality of Life

It is true, as you say, people move here for the rural life style, scenery, weather and friendly folks. Many of those friendly folks moved here from somewhere else to have a better quality of life and enjoy this area.
    Now, Brother's Restaurant does not seem to have a problem with customers and neither does Rib Country. And, I'll bet the new Chinese restaurant will be very busy as well. Heck, even the No Name Restaurant is busy at lunch. My point is that this community will support new eating establishments and those establishments will contribute to the local economy thanks to those friendly folks that live here and those that moved here.
    People like to get out, socalize and dine. It is how we meet other friendly folks. The us versus them attitude of locals against outsiders is just not acceptable any longer. Labeling someone because of where they live or where they are from is just not Christian. Discrimination is not taught at any of the local churches. But the myth of you are better because of how long you lived here is petty and small minded.
    As to National chains, give them a reason to come and they will.
    Back to law enforcement issues.

Lt. Crisp

Lt. Crisp, let it be known that a certain patrolman wants your position. Enough said!

Re: Letters to the Editor

Quote Originally Posted by knowledgeable
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner1
    Okay, I know I was supposed to read the letters about Andy Taylor on ego steriods and his #1 Barney but what I really think is the letter about a decent chain restaurant is more important.
    When will the self righteous bible thumpers let our county move into the current century? The economic impact of an Outback Steakhouse or Carrabba's, Red Lobster or Olive Garden would be tremendous for our community. We can not even think about it until provisions are made for alcohol to be served.
    Instead of sending everyone out of the county and encouraging drunk driving, it is time to bring some jobs and dining that we would all enjoy. I guarantee the parking lots would be full and you would be waiting for a table the day such a place would open.
    Bladerunner1 forgets that we are a rural community and most folks move here because of the rural atmosphere. The crime rate is low, people are friendly and caring, no traffic jams, the quality of life is good, the seasons are great, and the scenery is beautiful, just to name a few of the things that attract folks to our area. If you want the hustle and bustle of city life then move back to Florida. You are grossly mis-informed to think liquor by the drink will bring in the chain restaurants. Red Lobster, for one, did a feasibility study on locating in Murphy a couple of years ago. They must have 1,000 customers a day, 365 days a year in order to locate in an area. Our population just does not support those requirements. Big name restaurants look at a number of factors and not just liquor by the drink when searching for new locations. Make a few phone calls to the chain restaurants corporate headquarters and find out their requirements. It will be an eye opener.
    Dear Guest: I was "born and raised" in Murphy, went away to school, lived in a big city for a number of years then moved back to Murphy several years ago. I have many friends from Florida and I can say its not where you are from that makes you a smart-aleck big mouth know-it-all. We have some Florida people move here that immediately want to change everything and it gives other Florida folks a bad rap. We have locals that fit the "not nice" category. I am not ill informed and definitely not a GOB. I am quite involved in the community, read the papers and do have knowledge of government and economic development. Most companies and/or chain restaurants send in their real estate arm and investigate the area and never make their presence known. They do feasability studies and determine if the customer base is here. The way GOB's keep out development is by enacting zoning laws and ordnances. Cherokee County has NONE. Our local government and law enforcement definitely needs some good leadership. We, as the voting public, need to attend the public governmental meetings and voice our concerns in a postive constructive way. When a large number of citizens begin to show up at these meetings and become vocal about government practices and law enforcement, thing may start to change. I certainly do not have all the answers as to how to change things but being positive and vocal is a good start. "PUT THE HEAT" on the politicians, so to speak!

Re: Letters to the Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Knowledgeable
    Quote Originally Posted by knowledgeable
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner1
    Okay, I know I was supposed to read the letters about Andy Taylor on ego steriods and his #1 Barney but what I really think is the letter about a decent chain restaurant is more important.
    When will the self righteous bible thumpers let our county move into the current century? The economic impact of an Outback Steakhouse or Carrabba's, Red Lobster or Olive Garden would be tremendous for our community. We can not even think about it until provisions are made for alcohol to be served.
    Instead of sending everyone out of the county and encouraging drunk driving, it is time to bring some jobs and dining that we would all enjoy. I guarantee the parking lots would be full and you would be waiting for a table the day such a place would open.
    Bladerunner1 forgets that we are a rural community and most folks move here because of the rural atmosphere. The crime rate is low, people are friendly and caring, no traffic jams, the quality of life is good, the seasons are great, and the scenery is beautiful, just to name a few of the things that attract folks to our area. If you want the hustle and bustle of city life then move back to Florida. You are grossly mis-informed to think liquor by the drink will bring in the chain restaurants. Red Lobster, for one, did a feasibility study on locating in Murphy a couple of years ago. They must have 1,000 customers a day, 365 days a year in order to locate in an area. Our population just does not support those requirements. Big name restaurants look at a number of factors and not just liquor by the drink when searching for new locations. Make a few phone calls to the chain restaurants corporate headquarters and find out their requirements. It will be an eye opener.
    Dear Guest: I was "born and raised" in Murphy, went away to school, lived in a big city for a number of years then moved back to Murphy several years ago. I have many friends from Florida and I can say its not where you are from that makes you a smart-aleck big mouth know-it-all. We have some Florida people move here that immediately want to change everything and it gives other Florida folks a bad rap. We have locals that fit the "not nice" category. I am not ill informed and definitely not a GOB. I am quite involved in the community, read the papers and do have knowledge of government and economic development. Most companies and/or chain restaurants send in their real estate arm and investigate the area and never make their presence known. They do feasability studies and determine if the customer base is here. The way GOB's keep out development is by enacting zoning laws and ordnances. Cherokee County has NONE. Our local government and law enforcement definitely needs some good leadership. We, as the voting public, need to attend the public governmental meetings and voice our concerns in a postive constructive way. When a large number of citizens begin to show up at these meetings and become vocal about government practices and law enforcement, thing may start to change. I certainly do not have all the answers as to how to change things but being positive and vocal is a good start. "PUT THE HEAT" on the politicians, so to speak!
    Very well said and taken. I agree with you and hope you too contribute for change in this county. We need big change and would like to see more of the youth involved. With the leaders we have today, this county will not grow. This is the most secretive group of government people I have every seen, they lie and hide behind their state statues. More people need to get involved in the process for change. More people need to challenge our county leaders publicly and in the newspaper.

WOW

The 10-73 has struck on every thread...He is very impressive! Lets make Ed the new KING! Goo Job Ed, you are kicking Butt! They are really scrambling now....hehehe

If you google the Net, its everywhere!

Is somebody impersonating "ED"? :lol: Maybe he ought to hire an investigator to find out who is.

Re: Lt. Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Lt. Crisp, let it be known that a certain patrolman wants your position. Enough said!
    -----------------------------
    I hope Lt. Crisp is carefull, with my expeirenced with the sheriffs dept and the homeland sercrity dept. Lt.Crisp is a great canidade for sheriff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12