Avon Park and the PD

Avon Park and the PD

Can someone give me some honest answers on what is thought about Avon Park and the PD. Please , no bashing just facts and how they deal with nearby agencies. Are the officers well thought of ( oops)?
    Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thank s ... Fl LEO looking to the future !

There Dispatch is better than HCSO
    They have their fair share of employee's with skeletons in the closet.
    Most seem like good cops, a few suck but that is everywhere.
    I would rate their PD better than nearby Sebring

AP the city:
    Not much there
    Council does not seem LEO friendly as of late
    I would live in Sebring way b4 AP

20 sec low down on AP

You Should Know

Avon Park Police Department is a good organization with professional officers as the same for the Highlands County Sheriff's Office, Sebring Police Department, and Lake Placid Police Department. We all strive for the best. Avon Park has a good administration who is supportive of the troops. There is some termoil with the council but I'm sure this will be worked through. The community for the most part likes the police department and is supportive. There is not a lot in Avon Park but it is a good place to work. It is not a matter of which dispatch is better. The objective is to get the job done and work together, which is what we do. If you are an outsider looking to come here, all the law enforcement agencies are good and share the same professionalism as any other law enforcement agency anywhere else.

The Law Enforcement Officers who serve the citizens of this county are some of the most dedicated and professional people you will find. It is not about which agency is better or who has better equipment. I believe every Law Enforcement Officer in this county (municipalities included) are dedicated to the profession that they have chosen and demonstate this to the highest level each and every day.

THANKS

Thanks for all the information... greatly appreciated.

APPD

The PD is not a bad place to work. It's real small to the point where they just seem to drive in circles. There is also no real chance of promotion due to the size. I don't believe they have any specialized divisions either.

I know I did my research and ride along with all of the agencies before I excepted with the SO. I hear all of the guys who used to work at APPD tell how bad it was. I just feel the SO offers a whole lot more in about every aspect. When I was doing my ride along it seemed as if the SO was always having in progress calls or something was going on. I look at APPD where you see them run code to dog barking calls because they are bored. I think it just boils down to larger agency much larger more opportunities.

The personal they hire seem to be young and arrogant for no real apparent reason. I know I spoke with an officer from their department who said he was contemplating leaving just because the lack of training. There are a few guys there who are good guys. They all just say they are stuck in an agency that is in turmoil at least for now.

Thanks..

Thank You all for the overview of the agency. Please be safe and from someone who has worked 33 years on the job...make every day fun.. it truly is a great job... and the right attitude works wonders..

Re: APPD

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    The PD is not a bad place to work. It's real small to the point where they just seem to drive in circles. There is also no real chance of promotion due to the size. I don't believe they have any specialized divisions either.

I know I did my research and ride along with all of the agencies before I excepted with the SO. I hear all of the guys who used to work at APPD tell how bad it was. I just feel the SO offers a whole lot more in about every aspect. When I was doing my ride along it seemed as if the SO was always having in progress calls or something was going on. I look at APPD where you see them run code to dog barking calls because they are bored. I think it just boils down to larger agency much larger more opportunities.

The personal they hire seem to be young and arrogant for no real apparent reason. I know I spoke with an officer from their department who said he was contemplating leaving just because the lack of training. There are a few guys there who are good guys. They all just say they are stuck in an agency that is in turmoil at least for now.

I would like to know where you get your information. You obviously have NOT done your research.