TO: CHUCK HABER - Page 13
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: TO: CHUCK HABER

Senior Member LEO Affairs Corporal

Verbosity

[quote=The Nitely Blog]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Lie Detector":6uh3nxsb
    What the %^&*$ did you just say?
    It is real simple, I haven't posted to you before but readin your obfuscated post brought out the worst in me.

If you need help with the big words go to dictionary.com
    Bad news dude. I work the east side of the county. If ya ask me what "I reckin so" or "ya'll" means I can help ya out but, obfuscated, I aint got no clue bout that one my man. Ya got me.

But good news, I just saved a bunch of money by switching to GEICO. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:[/quote:6uh3nxsb]

That reminds me of when I was a fed and was transferred from Tampa to Washington, DC, as a supervisor. I had an assistant who brought me a problem which he had been unable to solve. He told me that all of his efforts to ameliorate the problem merely exacerbated it.

During that same time I had contact with a Colonel in the Pentagon who described a particular situation as "time critical and resource limited." That's Pentagon talk for "we don't have what we need to get the job done by the time it should be finished."

There was a study done that indicated that the average sentence written by a government bureaucrat was at least fifty words long! You might say that verbosity was a commonplace characteristic of government minions.

There is a danger associated with employing esoteric language. You may misuse or mispronounce the words. I once saw a Supreme Court justice mispronounce "superfluous" during a speech at the White House. He MAY have known what it meant but he sure didn't know how to pronounce it.

:lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    Well since they all are attempting to educate y'all I thought I would help

One entry found.

obfuscate

Main Entry: ob·fus·cate
    Pronunciation: \ˈäb-fə-ˌskāt; äb-ˈfəs-ˌkāt, əb-\
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): ob·fus·cat·ed; ob·fus·cat·ing
    Etymology: Late Latin obfuscatus, past participle of obfuscare, from Latin ob- in the way + fuscus dark brown — more at ob-, dusk
    Date: 1577
    transitive verb
    1 a: darken b: to make obscure <obfuscate the issue>
    2: confuse <obfuscate the reader>
    intransitive verb
    : to be evasive, unclear, or confusing
    — ob·fus·ca·tion \ˌäb-(ˌ)fəs-ˈkā-shən\ noun
    — ob·fus·ca·to·ry \äb-ˈfəs-kə-ˌtȯr-ē, əb-\ adjective

:wink:
    Gracias for the info Joe. I appreciate it. I'm gonna use that one the next time I'm in Gibtown talkin to a drunk carny. That'll throw em for a loop. :lol:

better yet, put it into a orp and see if you get a reaction from the supervisor

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    better yet, put it into a orp and see if you get a reaction from the supervisor

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    Now your talkin my man. Great idea.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213