Want to know what kind of Deputies work at the HCSO? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Reserves for D2

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I often see where many Reserves work District 3. This may be because you gentleman live there and I understand that, or it could be because you are treated better there, so I dont know the exact answer. What I do know is that D2 could sure use some help 24/7. Very busy District and it is nothing but call after call after call all day and evening long. I think it may slow down a little bit around 0300. Just a hint if you all can keep us in mind in the future. Thanks.
    Each District has a Reserve that coordinates District work and saturations. Other than the R2 AI's, we are not allowed to ride solo, so to ride in a District we need to team up with someone. As a result, most Reserves just show up for the saturations as the logistics of finding a partner to work with, when you're able to work, get taken care of. It's a nightmare to coordinate your after work schedule with someone else. Try meeting a buddy for drinks (that's not on the same shift as you) and insist on meeting somewhere central and taking one car and you'll see what I mean.

I personally just block off 3 Friday nights a month and hope for the best.

In all fairness, additional training and scrutiny would be required before more Reserves could ride alone. Training is so backed up it's hard to get FDLE required classes, let alone anything progressive or "optional."

As to "getting treated better there", man, I sure haven't seen that. For the life of me I can't figure out why we are treated as well as we are. I've never worked D3, but I can tell you that D1, D2, and D4 have treated me better than I ever expected. Sure, there are some shift commanders or supervisors that are a little overly cautious with us, but I certainly don't blame them. As a Reserve, I'm even scared to work with a few of the other Reserves. I figure it's their butt if something goes down so I'm okay with any custom restrictions they impose.

What would be helpful is if we had some idea as to when the saturations would be most effective, i.e. when the District could use the most help. That would at least allow us to focus our efforts when needed the most. Jerry Cristina is the D2 Reserve coordinator, he's also an HCSO employee so you can look him up and email him with any suggestions.

Also, as I've mentioned before, if you see a Reserve signed on put them to work. We're there to help, and if a Reserve is out there just to satisfy their siren fetish I'd rather you drive them off by making them work anyway. When we help, we learn, and the more we learn the more we can help. It's also a motivator to get out and ride more when you build a camaraderie with some of the regulars. I would never ask to ride 10-12 with a regular (unless I knew them personally), but I'd never turn down an invite to do so.

Sorry for the long rambling answer to your request. If you have any ideas / suggestions please let us know.

Re: Reserves for D2

Quote Originally Posted by fltoddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I often see where many Reserves work District 3. This may be because you gentleman live there and I understand that, or it could be because you are treated better there, so I dont know the exact answer. What I do know is that D2 could sure use some help 24/7. Very busy District and it is nothing but call after call after call all day and evening long. I think it may slow down a little bit around 0300. Just a hint if you all can keep us in mind in the future. Thanks.
    Each District has a Reserve that coordinates District work and saturations. Other than the R2 AI's, we are not allowed to ride solo, so to ride in a District we need to team up with someone. As a result, most Reserves just show up for the saturations as the logistics of finding a partner to work with, when you're able to work, get taken care of. It's a nightmare to coordinate your after work schedule with someone else.

In all fairness, additional training and scrutiny would be required before more Reserves could ride alone. Training is so backed up it's hard to get FDLE required classes, let alone anything progressive or "optional."

As to "getting treated better there", man, I sure haven't seen that. For the life of me I can't figure out why we are treated as well as we are. I've never worked D3, but I can tell you that D1, D2, and D4 have treated me better than I ever expected.

What would be helpful is if we had some idea as to when the saturations would be most effective, i.e. when the District could use the most help. That would at least allow us to focus our efforts when needed the most. Jerry Cristina is the D2 Reserve coordinator, he's also an HCSO employee so you can look him up and email him with any suggestions.
    I work D3 with an RII Partner because it's close for both of us. We're fortunate and a bit unique in that we always work together and our regular jobs give us the leeway needed to ride often. With over a year of partnering, we understand each other real well. We put in an average of 65-100 hours per month.

When we ride, we patrol the entire District. We try to clear the queue of as many calls as we possibly can take before going 40.

We also X94 as many units as we can. X50's happen when it's slow and we make d@mn sure that if we have to call for x94 to our X20 on a traffic stop, it's for good reason. All others violators get warnings.

I think what the Deputy was referring to is just what I described above.

We are currently looking into training for possible one man units MAYBE one day in the far future. Certainly not yet...

I just wanted to say thanks for the reserves that came out in force in D4 this weekend to assist us with calls. You guys were much appreciated and helped out alot. Thanks.

You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by The Nitely Blog
    I just wanted to say thanks for the reserves that came out in force in D4 this weekend to assist us with calls. You guys were much appreciated and helped out alot. Thanks.
    You're welcome NB, thanks for letting us know. Nothing against the other districts, but I'm a huge fan of D4. Great group of Deputies, good supervisors, and a great District Commander. "Them's my people" and I'd just as soon work D4 than any where else.

We're trying to get training on the "paper" calls so we can handle more. I hate seeing you all tied up on a late reported property crime when there are so many other things going on.

Hey, there's an idea for the memo you all have to come up with! You can suggest that the Reserves get redbooks and a small block of training so you can turn over the "armed secretary" calls to us....

Re: You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by fltoddy
    We're trying to get training on the "paper" calls so we can handle more. I hate seeing you all tied up on a late reported property crime when there are so many other things going on.

Hey, there's an idea for the memo you all have to come up with! You can suggest that the Reserves get redbooks and a small block of training so you can turn over the "armed secretary" calls to us....
    Haaa, no problemo my man but a word of caution. Be carefull what ya ask for because ya might just get it. I hate the "armed secretary" calls as much as the next deputy but I would'nt want you guys to get bogged down with them. The NRE calls that ya handle help us out a great deal dude. Besides, ya get to go call to call with the rest of us if your not stuck on a report call. :wink: Your volunteering your time. Ya might as well have a good time as opposed to writing all night. And again, thanks for the help this past weekend.

fltoddy,

The "Redbook" is on the Intranet for your availability. It is referred to as the "Quick Reference Guide". We appreciate your desire to learn and we appreciate your help!

I'd rather see you guys out there having fun. I'm with NB on that. Besides, I hate those loud music and pesky neighbor trouble calla. Trust me...I'd rather you guys handle 4 or 5 of those and I'll take the dictation on that S/21.

Touched a nerve......

Quote Originally Posted by Guest0015
    I'd rather see you guys out there having fun. I'm with NB on that. Besides, I hate those loud music and pesky neighbor trouble calla. Trust me...I'd rather you guys handle 4 or 5 of those and I'll take the dictation on that S/21.
    Either you know me pretty well or the example calls you mentioned were a very lucky guess......

If I could work nothing but loud music and pesky neighbor calls for 12 hours straight, you'd have to beat me away from a patrol car. I lived next to an aspiring rap music "artist" for about 6 months, and I'm a little....er.....sensitive to inconsiderate people and very understanding of people that are victims of it. I'm also a firm believer that leaving that kind of behavior unchecked fosters the appearance of a lawless neighborhood and that leads to more crime, so called "white flight", and a loss of pride of ownership.
    I also think we (the Reserves) excel at neighbor trouble because we have one piece of equipment the regulars aren't issued: time. We don't have calls stacked or other constraints so we're able to spend time on those calls and hopefully put an end to them. I spent 1 hour at a neighborhood call in D2 3 months ago. The zone Deputy told me they're out there weekly for an ongoing dispute. We talked them through it and last time I checked there hadn't been a recurrence.

(deep breath) Suffice it to say that if any loud music / juvie trouble / neighbor trouble calls come in, hook a brother UP.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234