Want to know what kind of Deputies work at the HCSO? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

but those not topped our are getting a step, let us not be misleading here as it makes it sound like deputies were only getting an offer of 1%. That is not the case. Many were getting a step that came about from the 1st cba and a cola.

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    but those not topped our are getting a step, let us not be misleading here as it makes it sound like deputies were only getting an offer of 1%. That is not the case. Many were getting a step that came about from the 1st cba and a cola.
    Yo Joe. While it is true that youngin's like you will get a step plan raise the old farts with over 11 years will only get 1%. Thats not even cost of living my man.

While you might not worry about that now, hopefully, god willing, you will be an old fart one day and will reap the benefit of a more than 1% raise in pay.

Yes & No

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    Yes and No. The topped out people (over 10 years) were only offered just under 1%, basically nothing. The problem is that this is over half of the office that is being short changed. Come on but a less than 1% raise is awfully insulting. The people that have been here beween 1 to 9 years will still get a raise thanks to the unions step plan from the 1st contract. Remember, before the Union, it took Deputies 19 years to top out. Many say that they are not geeting a raise this year because of the union and that is frankly NOT TRUE AT ALL. They are still getting the same step raise from the unions 1st contract. The inly ones not getting a raise are the topped out deputies, who will not miss a 1% raise anyway. I would prefer they take my 1% and put it toward hiring more deputies. Be safe " average Joe".

as a citizen I thank you for the information.

I thought todays news conference went well and was real disappointed when I heard a shot against the pba president himself. I didnt like it when the pba was doing it and I dont like it when the staff does it as well. Score one for the pba just for not slinging mud today. Good job mike

yup

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I thought todays news conference went well and was real disappointed when I heard a shot against the pba president himself. I didnt like it when the pba was doing it and I dont like it when the staff does it as well. Score one for the pba just for not slinging mud today. Good job mike
    I Have to agree with you on this one

Quote Originally Posted by fltoddy
    At HCSO, not only do they treat the volunteers like family, they actually beg us to come out and help in whatever minor way we can assist.
    ...they know we help provide a more visible presence and help clear some minor calls, which is good for the community. Because of that, we are treated like royalty from the Shift Commander all the way down to the newest recruit.

I volunteer even though it costs me personally; time away from my family, time away from my job, costs that aren't covered by HCSO, etc.
    I agree...We are treated very well. The Regular Deputies have been nothing but good to us out there.

While I appreciate the thanks we get, it's sometimes difficult for some to understand why in the hell would we be doing this for NOTHING.

Consider this...People PAY to jump out of planes or bungee jump knowing there is some possible danger in doing so, yet they still do it for the thrill of it... I like to go on the streets and I don't have to pay a thing.

The best part is, I get to take a S/1 off the street, maybe a few X15's from time to time and free up a Zone Deputy whenever possible...

The only thing frustrating at this point is that we cannot write non-criminal Citations but hopefully that will be addressed.

I agree

Not to hijack my own thread, but I agree that not being able to cite is frustrating.

I'm not frustrated because I want the power kick, I'm frustrated because it's just another thing we can't complete.

Mentally, I want to justify the expense of putting us on the street, the expense of me taking the time away from my family, and the expense of the regulars needing to watch out for us against the value we bring.

My perception of our value is lowered by the fact that there are very few things we can perform and complete on our own. I don't think for a moment that we need to be jumping hot calls or trying to handle the high risk stuff on our own. We don't do this on a daily basis so we're not as adept as the regulars, and I don't want to punt beyond my field coverage.
    But, our current orders are that we can't write reports, we can't write cites, and we can't be dispatched on calls.

I guarantee you I can work a noise complaint as well as the most seasoned veteran in HCSO. Same goes for juvie trouble, contact message, found property, neighbor trouble, etc. Can those calls turn in to something bad? Yeah, but the odds are that they won't.

But when I don't have the ability to write, guess what? That means I have to call out a zone deputy which (in my mind) defeats the whole purpose of me being out there. If I were a regular, I'd appreciate the help but I'd think "What's the point if I have to go out there, I might as well have taken the call myself?"

Want to hear my definition of a perfect night? It's when I can log on, work calls back to back to back, take care of my own paper and cites, and go home without the regulars even having any idea what I look like.

All they need to see are the trash calls showing up in the list of holding calls, then disappearing before they have a chance to take them.

I know it's a complex issue and a lot of liability issues, and I don't mean to turn this into a gripe session, it's just frustrating needing a babysitter all the time for calls that the Citizen's Patrol could probably even do.

Here's a tip for the regulars: sometimes we lay low because we aren't sure if you're on a call because you want to be or if you're waiting on a 10-71 to try and catch a break. Jumping calls is a very treacherous area for us, so if in doubt we don't. But, if you ever see Reserves logged on and you're dispatched to a non-ORP call or sitting around waiting for a 10-71, just send us a message and we'd be glad to jump it. Even if we have to drive 20 minutes to get to a call, if it's a priority 3 and we can free you it's worth it. Some of us may grumble about it, but that's the kind of stuff we're here for and the grumblers need to just bite their tongue and get over it.

Re: I agree

Quote Originally Posted by fltoddy
    I agree that not being able to cite is frustrating.

I'm not frustrated because I want the power kick, I'm frustrated because it's just another thing we can't complete.

I know it's a complex issue and a lot of liability issues, and I don't mean to turn this into a gripe session, it's just frustrating needing a babysitter all the time for calls that the Citizen's Patrol could probably even do.
    Certainly no "power kick" there. To me, Cits are annoying to write up. I would prefer to give a written or verbal warning but there are those times when a driver is so blatantly wrong and/or they have a history of committing the same violation that they deserve it. It's only on those occasions that I would like to able to do it.

It's kind of odd that we went though all the high liabilities training, graduated from the academy, we can carry a firearm, go hands on with and cuff suspects but we can't write a cit...

I'm sure this will change as we "evolve". No worries.

In D3 we handle plenty of calls where we either back up Deputies or relieve them of minor stuff on a regular basis anyway...

I'd rather be in a foot chase and catching some dumba$$ who deserves a new set of bracelets! :twisted: Good Times....

Reserves for D2

I often see where many Reserves work District 3. This may be because you gentleman live there and I understand that, or it could be because you are treated better there, so I dont know the exact answer. What I do know is that D2 could sure use some help 24/7. Very busy District and it is nothing but call after call after call all day and evening long. I think it may slow down a little bit around 0300. Just a hint if you all can keep us in mind in the future. Thanks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast