Want to know what kind of Deputies work at the HCSO?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Want to know what kind of Deputies work at the HCSO?

Here's my personal observation of something that I consider a true indication of the quality of Deputies working at HCSO and what their true motivations are.

I've been in law enforcement for almost 14 years, every year of it has been as a volunteer (Reserve / Auxiliary / whatever). I'm not looking for praise, just setting the stage.

I've worked with 2 area agencies, and one that is out of state. I've noticed one major difference at HCSO that I didn't find at the other agencies.

On many occasions, at the other agencies, we (volunteers) were sent home in the middle of our shift due to complaints by the other officers / union / PBA. I never really complained because their beef was that we were taking overtime from them. I volunteer to give back to the officers, but I know they do it to pay their bills so I don't gripe.

At HCSO, not only do they treat the volunteers like family, they actually beg us to come out and help in whatever minor way we can assist.

Does it potentially screw them out of some overtime? Probably.
    Does it possibly mask some of the short staffing issues? Maybe.
    Does it make more work for them? Sometimes.

However, they know we help provide a more visible presence and help clear some minor calls, which is good for the community. Because of that, we are treated like royalty from the Shift Commander all the way down to the newest recruit. It's personally embarrassing to me as I'm the type that likes to just come in, do my job, and go home without attracting attention.

A good way to judge someone is to watch how they treat the "little" people. Watch how they treat the janitor, the cashier, the garbage guys, the volunteers.

We are treated like gold even though we probably take money out of their pockets. I think it's because they are desperate for help because they want to do more police work in their zone. They want to do more work in their zone because they want to make our county a better place to live.

Don't judge the department by the voice of a few malcontents. HCSO is chock full of a lot of great Deputies that do their job because they believe they are making a difference.

I volunteer even though it costs me personally; time away from my family, time away from my job, costs that aren't covered by HCSO, etc.
    I'm not blowing my own horn, but look at your schedule and try and come up with 20 extra hours each month in addition to a full-time job and small children.

However, every time I work on the street I find at least one reason to make me want to keep doing it. These men and women are making a difference, and I've yet to meet one that it isn't worth my small personal contribution.

I am not considering going full-time because I'm too selfish to want to take the paycut. But, if you're considering applying for a job here, I would encourage you a 100%. Yeah, you may have to put up with some aggravating boot camp / training crap but that's a small price to pay I think. I've wasted more time on dumber things.

I know there will be some haters that will accuse me of being staff. I can assure you I'm not, I'll even meet you to prove it as long as you don't mind coutersigning on my cites while you're here....

Re: Want to know what kind of Deputies work at the HCSO?

Quote Originally Posted by fltoddy
    Here's my personal observation of something that I consider a true indication of the quality of Deputies working at HCSO and what their true motivations are.

I've been in law enforcement for almost 14 years, every year of it has been as a volunteer (Reserve / Auxiliary / whatever). I'm not looking for praise, just setting the stage.

I've worked with 2 area agencies, and one that is out of state. I've noticed one major difference at HCSO that I didn't find at the other agencies.

On many occasions, at the other agencies, we (volunteers) were sent home in the middle of our shift due to complaints by the other officers / union / PBA. I never really complained because their beef was that we were taking overtime from them. I volunteer to give back to the officers, but I know they do it to pay their bills so I don't gripe.

At HCSO, not only do they treat the volunteers like family, they actually beg us to come out and help in whatever minor way we can assist.

Does it potentially screw them out of some overtime? Probably.
    Does it possibly mask some of the short staffing issues? Maybe.
    Does it make more work for them? Sometimes.

However, they know we help provide a more visible presence and help clear some minor calls, which is good for the community. Because of that, we are treated like royalty from the Shift Commander all the way down to the newest recruit. It's personally embarrassing to me as I'm the type that likes to just come in, do my job, and go home without attracting attention.

A good way to judge someone is to watch how they treat the "little" people. Watch how they treat the janitor, the cashier, the garbage guys, the volunteers.

We are treated like gold even though we probably take money out of their pockets. I think it's because they are desperate for help because they want to do more police work in their zone. They want to do more work in their zone because they want to make our county a better place to live.

Don't judge the department by the voice of a few malcontents. HCSO is chock full of a lot of great Deputies that do their job because they believe they are making a difference.

I volunteer even though it costs me personally; time away from my family, time away from my job, costs that aren't covered by HCSO, etc.
    I'm not blowing my own horn, but look at your schedule and try and come up with 20 extra hours each month in addition to a full-time job and small children.

However, every time I work on the street I find at least one reason to make me want to keep doing it. These men and women are making a difference, and I've yet to meet one that it isn't worth my small personal contribution.

I am not considering going full-time because I'm too selfish to want to take the paycut. But, if you're considering applying for a job here, I would encourage you a 100%. Yeah, you may have to put up with some aggravating boot camp / training crap but that's a small price to pay I think. I've wasted more time on dumber things.

I know there will be some haters that will accuse me of being staff. I can assure you I'm not, I'll even meet you to prove it as long as you don't mind coutersigning on my cites while you're here....
    That was a great post and I agree with you 100%. I am a Union member and plan on staying a union member. Every Government system needs checks & balances and thats what the Union provides.

You are right, this office is full of great people, however many only jump on the bandwagon of things when it makes them look good in the eyes of the Staff because they are simply trying to get ahead of the rest. Some of the very anti-union deputies (Future Cpls) were the same ones that I observed not even two months ago ranting & raving about how bad this office was. This is the Gods honest truth.

I love this office and I would support any fellow brother or fellow citizen who got in harms way. That is our job and I take great pride in that. The above reserve deputy speaks the truth when he says we love them, because we do. First of all, they are like any other fellow brother to me and I would be there in a flash should they need help. The fact is that we are VERY VERY SHORT HANDED on the street and in the detective units. We desperately need more deputies, as crime has recently gotten to epidemic proportions in this county.

Read the daily blotters and see just how many citizens are robbed at gunpoint each night, how many businesses are robbed or even more frequently burglarized. We are now at the highest murder rate EVER in this county's history, and it is only October! We are now at the highest traffic fatality rate EVER as well. The answer is simple, we need help and we need it soon.

This is not a whining session for me, it is the truth. I also take insult when a certain Cpl stands and says that we (meaning me I would think) were offered a 5% raise this year. That is a blatant LIE. Over half the office was offered barely a 1% raise this year and that is the absolute truth.

The money aspect of the this whole thing is not even the most important thing as far as I am concerned. It is the fact that please don't insult our intelligence or inflate the truth. Yes, that makes me mad.

Once again, I believe in this job and I believe that the only way to put a stop to this crime rate is for leadership to SUPPORT ALL of it's current deputies who are bending over backwards to handle the current call volume and do whatever needs to be done to increase the manpower on the street.

Take pride in what you do and never back down or frequently change your beliefs. If you do this, you will be greatly respected by others and most importantly respect yourself.

I love it when I hear the reserves on the radio taking calls because I know that they are there to help us keep our heads above water. I can't speak for anyone else but The Blog appreciates you guys and gals.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nitely Blog
    I love it when I hear the reserves on the radio taking calls because I know that they are there to help us keep our heads above water. I can't speak for anyone else but The Blog appreciates you guys and gals.
    As my post indicates above yours Blog................Ditto my brother.

p.s. it has sure been nice around here since 007 was banned. Thank you Mod-1

I liked bond.

Once again, I believe in this job and I believe that the only way to put a stop to this crime rate is for leadership to SUPPORT ALL of it's current deputies who are bending over backwards to handle the current call volume and do whatever needs to be done to increase the manpower on the street.

Take pride in what you do and never back down or frequently change your beliefs. If you do this, you will be greatly respected by others and most importantly respect yourself.

I APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS STATED ABOVE!!! You hit the nail on the head!!

However, that is the problem with the Union, they have decided to take a stand against the leadership and don't want to bend over backwards to handle the current call volume.

Do you actually think the Sheriff doesn't want the ratio of deputies to citizens to be higher?

Do you not think that he wants to pay deputies as much as possible?

Geeez....What leader in their right mind would want to keep their employees unhappy?

If Sheriff Gee had the ability to make us the highest paid police agency in the United States, don't you think he would do it!! Let's have a little common sense here and let the man do his job!!!

Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Wrong
    I liked bond.
    Which one of his multiple personalities did you like..... :roll:

He was the only funny person that ever posted here..
    The rest of you all suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous

I APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS STATED ABOVE!!! You hit the nail on the head!!

However, that is the problem with the Union, they have decided to take a stand against the leadership and don't want to bend over backwards to handle the current call volume.

Do you actually think the Sheriff doesn't want the ratio of deputies to citizens to be higher?

Do you not think that he wants to pay deputies as much as possible?

Geeez....What leader in their right mind would want to keep their employees unhappy?

If Sheriff Gee had the ability to make us the highest paid police agency in the United States, don't you think he would do it!! Let's have a little common sense here and let the man do his job!!!
    I also appreciate and respect your views. But I believe his hatred toward the union has been a huge factor in the way things have been handled. It is more then obvious. One minute there is no money and the next the people outside the PBA are given 10% and 4% raises while the core of this office is offered 1%.

The PBA are the haters..
    If Bond isn't brough back, I am signing the petition.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast