relocating

Thread: relocating

relocating

I received a call in reference to possibly coming down for some testing. How is the department as a whole and Orange county to live in? Once on the road are their a lot of overtime shifts or details available? Do you typically get your take home cruiser once you get through field training or is there a delay? Also are you allowed to use the take home for personal use within the county? Thank you.

There are some good areas to live within Orange County. Mostly on the east side, or within city limits. The west side is mostly crappy. Also avoid the south side. And the north. you get the picture!

As for overtime and details - as much as you can eat.

Take home is based upon availibiliy. some people have an assigned car before they even finish FTO, and some people wait months. And we are not full indy unless you are on-call.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    There are some good areas to live within Orange County. Mostly on the east side, or within city limits. The west side is mostly crappy. Also avoid the south side. And the north. you get the picture!

As for overtime and details - as much as you can eat.

Take home is based upon availibiliy. some people have an assigned car before they even finish FTO, and some people wait months. And we are not full indy unless you are on-call.
    Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. What did you mean though by "we are not fully indy unless you are on-call"? I worked for a municipality down there before, so I don't know a lot about the Florida Retirement System. How is it?

I mean you can't use take-home for personal buisness unless you are subject to a call-out.

FRS is pritty good. Plus the Sheriff pays all the contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I mean you can't use take-home for personal buisness unless you are subject to a call-out.

FRS is pritty good. Plus the Sheriff pays all the contribution.
    What's the percentage you can get out at in 25 years 75%? Does that include overtime or is it just based off of your base salary?

Thanks

I think its 75% at 25. It might be 80%.

Its the average of your last 3 years including overtime but not including off-duty.

looking for a litte info also. How high can you negosiate your salary if you are a certified officer with a little experiance ,,,,,,15-20 years? have always been interested in your department andplan on relocateing to Ocala area. Can anyone help Thanks

Junior Member LEO Affairs Rookie
    There is no negotiating salary here. You will fall into a bracket with more than three years of experience and start at Step 2. Doesn't matter how much experience you have. That is one of theproblems of obtaining certified deputies with experience. I am hoping that will all change soon, but the PBA needs to start thinking about this. Hopefully the PBA will start thinking about everyone else besides themselves. Sorry, went off topic.

Eventually the pay will get a lot better. This is a great agency with good people. If you want to come here, you might think of moving a little closer to Orange County so you can have a take home. Ocala might be a little out of the take home boundary.

Good Luck!