Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re: Express

[quote=Alex T. Lablatt]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Remember?":22scoptz
    Time for BSO to police Wilton Manors?
    Vehicle search raises serious Fourth Amendment concerns

By PHIL LAPADULA
    Friday, February 02, 2007

About a year and a half ago when former Wilton Manors Police Chief Richard Wierzbicki announced his retirement, some members of the gay community rushed to the defense of the beleaguered Manors police department, believing that a small local police force would be more sensitive to the concerns of gay residents than the behemoth known as the Broward Sheriff’s Office. But after recent events came to light, many people are now reassessing that position.

On Nov. 29, a Wilton Manors police officer stopped John Pfaff, a local gay resident, allegedly because a tag light was out on his Chevy pickup truck. During the stop, Officer Gary Blocker asked Pfaff for permission to search his person and his vehicle. Pfaff said he consented to the search because he had nothing to hide and felt intimidated by a man with a badge and a gun. As he began the search, Blocker asked Pfaff if he would “find anything strange like a **** ring, lube or condoms,” according to Pfaff’s complaint.

Pfaff later filed a complaint against Blocker. In his complaint, Pfaff states that when he got home, he checked his lights and discovered that all of them, including the tag lights, were working. He now wonders why he was stopped in the first place and why Blocker asked to search his vehicle. He thinks he may have been pulled over because of gay bumper stickers on his truck. But Officer Pfaff has denied that he pulled over Pfaff because he is gay, according to an internal investigation of Pfaff’s complaint by the Wilton Manors Police Department.

I gave Officer Blocker a chance to explain why he searched Pfaff’s truck, but he did not return my phone calls.

The Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states: “the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue but upon probable cause…”

While Officer Blocker apparently did not technically violate the Fourth Amendment because he asked permission to search Mr. Pfaff’s truck, it seems obvious that he has shown disrespect for the Fourth Amendment’s intent. The amendment was clearly intended to prohibit searches in which there is no probable cause to suspect a crime has been committed.

The internal “investigation” of Mr. Pfaff’s complaint by the Wilton Manors Police Department did not even address the issue of probable cause. It gave no reason for the search of Mr. Pfaff’s truck and his person. In fact, based on the report, Officer Blocker did not identify anything about Mr. Pfaff or his truck that would lead him to suspect that illegal drugs were present.

Furthermore, the report on Mr. Pfaff’s complaint contains the ridiculous assertion that “it has become increasingly usual for homosexual male subjects in Wilton Manors to advise they have a ‘**** right’ either in their pocket or on their penis at the time of the search.”

First of all, I can’t imagine that there are gay guys out there riding around town wearing **** rings. Secondly, I can’t imagine a police search stemming from a traffic stop that would venture into the area of a ringed penis.

We are told that the searches of Mr. Pfaff and his vehicle were permissible simply because Officer Blocker asked permission and Mr. Pfaff consented to the searches. Who wouldn’t consent when confronted by a man with a badge and a gun? Who would not be intimidated by such a request?

It appears that this was nothing more than a random search. The people of this community, gay and heterosexual, at least have the right to know under what circumstances they can expect to be subjected to a humiliating search when they are out going about their business in a law-abiding manner. It’s bad enough dealing with the mindless car culture down here, being chained to our cars and having no choice but to drive everywhere, without thinking that we could be stopped and searched for no apparent reason every time we venture out the door.

I would like to point out that the Express did not go out on a muckraking mission trying to dig up dirt on the Wilton Manors Police Department. Mr. Pfaff came to us and asked us to tell his story, feeling that he had been treated in a humiliating manner. Since we first reported on his story, three other people have come forward with similar stories. We reported on one of the incidents. The other two have asked to keep their names out of print for now. We have also received several letters to the editor denouncing the search.

Fortunately, Mr. Pfaff was not arrested during this incident, nor was he even cited. In fact, Mr. Pfaff stated that Officer Blocker was polite and generally conducted himself in a professional manner. It’s apparent that Officer Blocker believes such searches are needed to stem the drug-abuse problem in South Florida.

I disagree. Anyone who reads my writing in the Express has probably surmised that I am very much against illegal drugs. In fact, I do not support legalization of the various poisons that the drug dealers are peddling out there (a subject for a future editorial). But I do not support trampling on the Bill of Rights either. I think more and better drug education and access to treatment are the answers.

This controversy is swirling at a time when violent street crime is on the rise both in South Florida and nationwide. Don’t the police have better things to do than conduct searches of law-abiding motorists? As reported in this week’s Express, the Fort Lauderdale Police Department announced a crime-prevention seminar at the gay community center in response to concerns about violent street crime voiced by gay residents.

By the way, the Fort Lauderdale Police Department has a gay community liaison, Det. Brice Brittenum, who also happens to be gay. The Broward Sheriff’s Office has an openly lesbian community liaison, Adrian Reesey, whose job involves serving as a sounding board for the gay community and various other ethnic and neighborhood groups. Both BSO and the Fort Lauderdale Police Department have independent review boards to investigate complaints against police officers.

So why is it that the new “gay paradise,” Wilton Manors, currently with openly gay city commissioners and two past gay mayors, has no official gay liaison officer and no independent civilian complaint review board?

The Pfaff incident takes place at a time when former Wilton Manors Police Chief Richard Wierzbicki is suing the city in a dispute over his pension. By almost all accounts, Chief Richard Wierzbicki was an excellent public servant who understood and respected the diversity of the community he served. He reached out to the gay community, even dropping by the Express office on more than one occasion. But since his departure, things appear to be going south fast.

In fact, Wierzbicki’s lawsuit comes at a time when the Wilton Manors Police Department is under increased pressure to justify its existence in a city with soaring tax rates. At a recent city commission meeting, former Mayor Sandra Steen urged the city to cut costs and consider eliminating the police department and bringing in BSO. Maybe it is time for the increased professionalism and resources of BSO in Wilton Manors.
    As a " straight" taxpayer with a family in this city who lives on NW 5 ave and knows Officer Blocker I just cannot understand what has happend to this police department. I moved here over 9 years ago and thought this was a great city to live in. Coming to live and socialize in a diverse city was a dream of my wife Kathy's and our families. What has happend. This WAMH is nothing more than a political organization trying to further a few persons political goals. I thought they were organized to help secure our neighborhood. Their have been so many break in's around us we are thinking of moving out of Wilton Manors. Every time I try to call to talk to a detective or supervisor ( they told me he was out 3 months on a training school) they are out. My wife and I wonder what "out "is. We always see 2-3 cars at dunkin donuts or the 7/11 is that what "out "is. In reviewing this site since the article in Sunday's Sun Sentinel, is "out "for the chief eating a 2 hour lunch at J. Alexanders each day. How is that helping my property values with our esculating crime stats.With the lower tax revenues, management needs to be held more accountable to justify their positions & salary.Shame on you police chief and city management.[/quote:22scoptz]You should call officer Blocker supposedly he is now a detective. Maybe knowing someone can get the help with the breakins.

[quote=Alex T. Lablatt]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Remember?":14lfmsl4

By PHIL LAPADULA

About a year and a half ago when former Wilton Manors Police Chief Richard Wierzbicki announced his retirement, some members of the gay community rushed to the defense of the beleaguered Manors police department, believing that a small local police force would be more sensitive to the concerns of gay residents than the behemoth known as the Broward Sheriff’s Office. But after recent events came to light, many people are now reassessing that position.

On Nov. 29, a Wilton Manors police officer stopped John Pfaff, a local gay resident, allegedly because a tag light was out on his Chevy pickup truck. During the stop, Officer Gary Blocker asked Pfaff for permission to search his person and his vehicle. Pfaff said he consented to the search because he had nothing to hide and felt intimidated by a man with a badge and a gun. As he began the search, Blocker asked Pfaff if he would “find anything strange like a **** ring, lube or condoms,” according to Pfaff’s complaint.

Pfaff later filed a complaint against Blocker. In his complaint, Pfaff states that when he got home, he checked his lights and discovered that all of them, including the tag lights, were working. He now wonders why he was stopped in the first place and why Blocker asked to search his vehicle. He thinks he may have been pulled over because of gay bumper stickers on his truck. But Officer Pfaff has denied that he pulled over Pfaff because he is gay, according to an internal investigation of Pfaff’s complaint by the Wilton Manors Police Department.

I gave Officer Blocker a chance to explain why he searched Pfaff’s truck, but he did not return my phone calls.

The Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states: “the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue but upon probable cause…”

While Officer Blocker apparently did not technically violate the Fourth Amendment because he asked permission to search Mr. Pfaff’s truck, it seems obvious that he has shown disrespect for the Fourth Amendment’s intent. The amendment was clearly intended to prohibit searches in which there is no probable cause to suspect a crime has been committed.

The internal “investigation” of Mr. Pfaff’s complaint by the Wilton Manors Police Department did not even address the issue of probable cause. It gave no reason for the search of Mr. Pfaff’s truck and his person. In fact, based on the report, Officer Blocker did not identify anything about Mr. Pfaff or his truck that would lead him to suspect that illegal drugs were present.

Furthermore, the report on Mr. Pfaff’s complaint contains the ridiculous assertion that “it has become increasingly usual for homosexual male subjects in Wilton Manors to advise they have a ‘**** right’ either in their pocket or on their penis at the time of the search.”

First of all, I can’t imagine that there are gay guys out there riding around town wearing **** rings. Secondly, I can’t imagine a police search stemming from a traffic stop that would venture into the area of a ringed penis.

We are told that the searches of Mr. Pfaff and his vehicle were permissible simply because Officer Blocker asked permission and Mr. Pfaff consented to the searches. Who wouldn’t consent when confronted by a man with a badge and a gun? Who would not be intimidated by such a request?

It appears that this was nothing more than a random search. The people of this community, gay and heterosexual, at least have the right to know under what circumstances they can expect to be subjected to a humiliating search when they are out going about their business in a law-abiding manner. It’s bad enough dealing with the mindless car culture down here, being chained to our cars and having no choice but to drive everywhere, without thinking that we could be stopped and searched for no apparent reason every time we venture out the door.

I would like to point out that the Express did not go out on a muckraking mission trying to dig up dirt on the Wilton Manors Police Department. Mr. Pfaff came to us and asked us to tell his story, feeling that he had been treated in a humiliating manner. Since we first reported on his story, three other people have come forward with similar stories. We reported on one of the incidents. The other two have asked to keep their names out of print for now. We have also received several letters to the editor denouncing the search.

Fortunately, Mr. Pfaff was not arrested during this incident, nor was he even cited. In fact, Mr. Pfaff stated that Officer Blocker was polite and generally conducted himself in a professional manner. It’s apparent that Officer Blocker believes such searches are needed to stem the drug-abuse problem in South Florida.

I disagree. Anyone who reads my writing in the Express has probably surmised that I am very much against illegal drugs. In fact, I do not support legalization of the various poisons that the drug dealers are peddling out there (a subject for a future editorial). But I do not support trampling on the Bill of Rights either. I think more and better drug education and access to treatment are the answers.

This controversy is swirling at a time when violent street crime is on the rise both in South Florida and nationwide. Don’t the police have better things to do than conduct searches of law-abiding motorists? As reported in this week’s Express, the Fort Lauderdale Police Department announced a crime-prevention seminar at the gay community center in response to concerns about violent street crime voiced by gay residents.

By the way, the Fort Lauderdale Police Department has a gay community liaison, Det. Brice Brittenum, who also happens to be gay. The Broward Sheriff’s Office has an openly lesbian community liaison, Adrian Reesey, whose job involves serving as a sounding board for the gay community and various other ethnic and neighborhood groups. Both BSO and the Fort Lauderdale Police Department have independent review boards to investigate complaints against police officers.

So why is it that the new “gay paradise,” Wilton Manors, currently with openly gay city commissioners and two past gay mayors, has no official gay liaison officer and no independent civilian complaint review board?

The Pfaff incident takes place at a time when former Wilton Manors Police Chief Richard Wierzbicki is suing the city in a dispute over his pension. By almost all accounts, Chief Richard Wierzbicki was an excellent public servant who understood and respected the diversity of the community he served. He reached out to the gay community, even dropping by the Express office on more than one occasion. But since his departure, things appear to be going south fast.

In fact, Wierzbicki’s lawsuit comes at a time when the Wilton Manors Police Department is under increased pressure to justify its existence in a city with soaring tax rates. At a recent city commission meeting, former Mayor Sandra Steen urged the city to cut costs and consider eliminating the police department and bringing in BSO. Maybe it is time for the increased professionalism and resources of BSO in Wilton Manors.
    As a " straight" taxpayer with a family in this city who lives on NW 5 ave and knows Officer Blocker I just cannot understand what has happend to this police department. I moved here over 9 years ago and thought this was a great city to live in. Coming to live and socialize in a diverse city was a dream of my wife Kathy's and our families. What has happend. This WAMH is nothing more than a political organization trying to further a few persons political goals. I thought they were organized to help secure our neighborhood. Their have been so many break in's around us we are thinking of moving out of Wilton Manors. Every time I try to call to talk to a detective or supervisor ( they told me he was out 3 months on a training school) they are out. My wife and I wonder what "out "is. We always see 2-3 cars at dunkin donuts or the 7/11 is that what "out "is. In reviewing this site since the article in Sunday's Sun Sentinel, is "out "for the chief eating a 2 hour lunch at J. Alexanders each day. How is that helping my property values with our esculating crime stats.With the lower tax revenues, management needs to be held more accountable to justify their positions & salary.Shame on you police chief and city management.[/quote:14lfmsl4]

mr straight taxpayer...was there a need to say you were straight?? Maybe you should get involved with your homeowners assoc. They can only do so much, you expect them to guard your house? Call the DB IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM...your time would be better spend than sittin here and writing about stuff you know nothing about,,,Were are you getting crime stats??I certainly wouldnt believe everything you read on here,,,just like I DONT BELIVE you live in WM...

[quote=Anonymous]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex T. Lablatt
    Quote Originally Posted by "Remember?":1a54bikb

By PHIL LAPADULA

As a " straight" taxpayer with a family in this city who lives on NW 5 ave and knows Officer Blocker I just cannot understand what has happend to this police department. I moved here over 9 years ago and thought this was a great city to live in. Coming to live and socialize in a diverse city was a dream of my wife Kathy's and our families. What has happend. This WAMH is nothing more than a political organization trying to further a few persons political goals. I thought they were organized to help secure our neighborhood. Their have been so many break in's around us we are thinking of moving out of Wilton Manors. Every time I try to call to talk to a detective or supervisor ( they told me he was out 3 months on a training school) they are out. My wife and I wonder what "out "is. We always see 2-3 cars at dunkin donuts or the 7/11 is that what "out "is. In reviewing this site since the article in Sunday's Sun Sentinel, is "out "for the chief eating a 2 hour lunch at J. Alexanders each day. How is that helping my property values with our esculating crime stats.With the lower tax revenues, management needs to be held more accountable to justify their positions & salary.Shame on you police chief and city management.
    mr straight taxpayer...was there a need to say you were straight?? Maybe you should get involved with your homeowners assoc. They can only do so much, you expect them to guard your house? Call the DB IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM...your time would be better spend than sittin here and writing about stuff you know nothing about,,,Were are you getting crime stats??I certainly wouldnt believe everything you read on here,,,just like I DONT BELIVE you live in WM...[/quote:1a54bikb]

You want crime stats? Check the FDLE website for UCR stats. We are right up there for crime rate per 100,000 with cities like:
    Pembroke Park
    FLPD
    Dania
    Pompano
    BSO (unincorporated located around Broward and NW 27 Ave)
    Great company if you LIKE crime. I invite you to drive through these areas. See what the araes are like and we have similar crime. This is the service you get from WMPD.
    Taxpayers what are you getting for your money? I suggest that you clean house at the top before its too late to save the PD (if it is not already too late.) Because your only option then is BSO.
    Our crime rate went up,I believe, 15% (2005 over 2004 rate) when the city decided to demoralize the PD with the Dhillon report. And crime went up again with our current Chief RP for 2006 year. Cant wait for the 2007 stats.
    You can check the stats yourself.
    LETS REVIEW:
    Save this place now by cleaning house and keep the PD or go BSO. Either option will reduce crime and get you your money's worth.

Hey Realistic. I find it curious that you're beating the dead-horse BSO issue again, since four of the five cities you cite in your case are policed BY BSO. And you think they'll be an improvement?!?! Why don't you back off, and let Chief Perez do his job. Once he cleans out some of the juvenile malcontents, who really aren't interested in much beyond an endless recess period, and hires some people who actually want to work, things will improve. Give the man a chance to reach the bottom layer of sediment which has been piling up for the past 20 years in the agency!

[quote=Anonymous]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex T. Lablatt
    Quote Originally Posted by "Remember?":162lo8m1

By PHIL LAPADULA

As a " straight" taxpayer with a family in this city who lives on NW 5 ave and knows Officer Blocker I just cannot understand what has happend to this police department. I moved here over 9 years ago and thought this was a great city to live in. Coming to live and socialize in a diverse city was a dream of my wife Kathy's and our families. What has happend. This WAMH is nothing more than a political organization trying to further a few persons political goals. I thought they were organized to help secure our neighborhood. Their have been so many break in's around us we are thinking of moving out of Wilton Manors. Every time I try to call to talk to a detective or supervisor ( they told me he was out 3 months on a training school) they are out. My wife and I wonder what "out "is. We always see 2-3 cars at dunkin donuts or the 7/11 is that what "out "is. In reviewing this site since the article in Sunday's Sun Sentinel, is "out "for the chief eating a 2 hour lunch at J. Alexanders each day. How is that helping my property values with our esculating crime stats.With the lower tax revenues, management needs to be held more accountable to justify their positions & salary.Shame on you police chief and city management.
    mr straight taxpayer...was there a need to say you were straight?? Maybe you should get involved with your homeowners assoc. They can only do so much, you expect them to guard your house? Call the DB IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM...your time would be better spend than sittin here and writing about stuff you know nothing about,,,Were are you getting crime stats??I certainly wouldnt believe everything you read on here,,,just like I DONT BELIVE you live in WM...[/quote:162lo8m1]
    I did try to get really involved in my WAHM Homeowners Association. Problem was I tried to introduce myself to the past president, Joseph Angelo, at the St Clements School and later President Boyka at Pace School, but they were more interested in flirting with a male member's of the audience at both locations and brushed me off , rather than listening to a complaint by a homeowner and his family who was trying to engage them in conversation. That is why I Identified myself as STRAIGHT.It gets frustrating after a while to be brushed off on different occasions.And I did call the PD and got passed along to the DB who said my complaint did not have the criteria for a follow up investigation and would not assist me in any way. I got crime stat's from a sun sentinel and miami herald reseacher and a student intern at Nova Southeast who was doing a research paper on crime in broward county in relation to crime in the southeaster US for the FBI Index. I am a Professor at Nova so I do not believe everything I read but can base an answer on the facts that are presented to myself in a logical fashion. And I do not expect anyone to guard my house. But I do expect a prompt response from the elected officials from the city on why crime has gone unchecked and you can look at any "stats " to see that is happening. Thank you LEO AFFAIRS,for letting me express my views.

Quote Originally Posted by GuestAgain
    Hey Realistic. I find it curious that you're beating the dead-horse BSO issue again, since four of the five cities you cite in your case are policed BY BSO. And you think they'll be an improvement?!?! Why don't you back off, and let Chief Perez do his job. Once he cleans out some of the juvenile malcontents, who really aren't interested in much beyond an endless recess period, and hires some people who actually want to work, things will improve. Give the man a chance to reach the bottom layer of sediment which has been piling up for the past 20 years in the agency!
    Do you really want to go there. Let's see. Lets go back the last five or six hires. There seems to be a history. If you are unfamiliar, I can be MORE specific in a future post.

So he has to fire everybody? He is the only one worthy? Please! I think he has gone through almost 25 employees and he still cant get a handle on it. Trust me if he cant get a handle on it, and there is NO indication he will, or our new PD becomes too expensive or they dont fix the tax thing etc etc etc. that BSO horse will be alive and kicking. Again, its your choice, fix it or lose it. I dont think you have the pulse of the taxpayer/resident who is sick of the stats I listed. If you want change RP must go. RP's methods are intimidation and fear. Do you believe that is a motivator? Why were stats lower when, as you say it, it was an endless recess period? Because you are a liar or ignorant or both. You have lost very talented people and some that remain are just hunkered down waiting for RP to leave.
    To your point that some of those places are BSO yes they are, but look at their crimne areas. Some of them will be that way forever, but Wilton Manors should not have the high stats that we do. Where is the Wilton Manors ghetto? I guess you just want to close your eyes to the crime here.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Do you really want to go there. Let's see. Lets go back the last five or six hires. There seems to be a history. If you are unfamiliar, I can be MORE specific in a future post.
    Oh, please do tell........

Crime stats are up everwhere so lets be honest here....its a sign of the times. WM is still safer to live than most areas. I find it very hard that everyone you have run across in this city turns their back to you and doesnt answer your ??..Maybe its just YOU :lol:

New Sun Sentinel Article Dated 10-18-07

Chief of Black Elected Officials group refuses to resign
    By Juan Ortega | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    October 18, 2007

Pressure continued to increase Wednesday for Lauderdale Lakes Commissioner Levoyd Williams to resign as president of Broward Black Elected Officials. Williams instead has vowed to reclaim the reputation of the nonprofit political group.

The business practices of the organization have fallen under increased public scrutiny for weeks, as some members have left the group in protest. The most recent departure came this week when fellow Lauderdale Lakes Commissioner Barrington Russell quit, saying the group has been too slow to answer critics.

Those critics have questioned if the Broward Black Elected Officials group has spent too much money on fundraising rather than spending more of it on student scholarships, as well as insufficiently kept track of finances. Members don't know specifics about the group's finances and redirect questions to Williams, who in turn hasn't answered how much money the group has collected and what percent has gone to charity.

"I called him on Monday to clarify the financial position of the organization. The response wasn't satisfactory and didn't make much sense to me," Russell said. "With rumors of misappropriations, you should be in a position where you should be able to give accurate information."

The group, with about 20 members, has a mission of fostering leadership skills among elected officials and raising scholarship money for high school and college students.

Williams said he plans to make available soon the group's financial form for the 2005-2006 fiscal year, a document he said was prepared by an accounting firm and given to the Internal Revenue Service. The financial activity for the 2006-2007 fiscal year would be filed at a later time, Williams said.

"This is a worthy organization and sometimes worthy organizations come under attack," Williams said. "But worthy people stick to it."

Dania Beach Vice Mayor Albert Jones, a former member of the organization in the 1990s, said he wants to rejoin the group — but only after Williams gives up his post.

"Whether there's wrongdoing or not, for the greater good, Williams has to resign," Jones said. "Just presenting information is not enough. The stigma is already there."

Wilton Manors Commissioner Joe Angelo, recently appointed as the group's treasurer, defended Williams, saying Williams took too much responsibility to compensate for waning group participation.

"Levoyd has taken on more work than any one person can handle. We're finally realizing that," Angelo said.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast