$$$OVERTIME$$$ - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $$$OVERTIME$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Guest88
    I don't get it sarge...you say that you call deps and nobody will do it, yet you give it to Jeff and he gets it filled? Are there two separate lists you are using??? Sounds like you are just lazy and don't want to make more than two calls. IT SHOULD BE YOUR JOB!!!!!! Now go back to your fantasy football website and concentrate!!!!!! :lol:
    It's the job of the sergeant to fill the OT slots, but the G.O. doesn't say how to do it, so if a sergeant fills the OT by using JH, then the sergeant did his job correctly. There's more then one way to skin a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest88
    I don't get it sarge...you say that you call deps and nobody will do it, yet you give it to Jeff and he gets it filled? Are there two separate lists you are using??? Sounds like you are just lazy and don't want to make more than two calls. IT SHOULD BE YOUR JOB!!!!!! Now go back to your fantasy football website and concentrate!!!!!! :lol:
    Yes its me again, the Sgt you blasted.

I think one reason Jeff was able to find people and I could not always find guys is because guys would call Jeff and give their private cell phone and or pager #. Private cell phones and pagers are not on the agency home phone list. Believe it or not guys do call Jeff and provide that info but don't want it on the agency phone list.

Yes, other agencies do have plans. A list of names of people who want to work OT just like our detail list. Guess what, we can't fill all our details either and some guys get more than other because they answer their phones and don't say no when called. They give dates and times they are available and it takes a full time person to keep it all straight.

As a deputy I would give my name to certain sgts who had a shift or district I wanted to work OT in. When they called most of the time I said yes. I also knew that if I said no enough times my name would be crossed out and I wouldn’t get called anymore.

So no, I am not lazy because I use the Jeff system. I get the vacant zone filled and quickly. My deputies don't have to hump calls in other zones because it took me two hours to finally track down someone to work it. I am available to hear the radio and pay attention to the needs of my deputies because I am not playing dialing for deputies on the cell phone.

Your Lincoln logs are still in the cardboard box under you bed. Go play with them, you are starting to boar the rest of us!

C'mon Sarge,

The point I was and still am trying to make is that an agency should put something as valuable as O/T in the hands of a supervisor. If people can give Jeff their private #s, why can't they give them to you? And on top of that, the agency does have everybody's home #....use it. Your argument doesn't make sense.

Your attempted justification for using the "Jeff system" is sad. The fact is that you feel that you are too "busy" to do the work a deputy is doing while he is supposedly working calls......don't insult us by saying that you have less time than a road deputy to do this job (Can't dial the phone and listen to the radio....haven't you ever tried multitasking??? If you can't do two things at once, well, that is pretty sad).

It actually isn't your fault....it is the SSO administration's fault for ALLOWING you to delegate this. Some things need to be handled by a supervisor. And look what has been mentioned already in this post....could the SSO be sued for lack of equitable distribution of O/T?? I'm not sure, but it is obvious that some people are already thinking about it!!! What type of documentation does Jeff keep? Does he have a call log so that we can defend such a lawsuit? I doubt it, and based on our budget woes, we don't need to pay somebody because you will not take responsibility....the same responsibility you ASKED for when you took the sgt's exam.

I'm going to play with my Lincoln Logs now sarge, and by the way.....psssssst........it is "bore", not "boar." (Let's leave animals out of this, and perhaps you should give back that online diploma you "earned.")
    Have a good night!!!!

The Jeff system works great and nobody has suggested anything better.

Cell phones

ALL sworn deputies should have department issued cell phones, not just detectives and supervisors.

When o/t is needed, group pages go out to the cell phones of people interested in working o/t. First one to respond wins. Easy for us & easy for supervisors.

I tried the direct call to the dep method. It was a disaster. First your had to spend an hour trying to figure out who on what other shift was on their day off and likely to be able to work, and then came the excuses, Im busy, sorry. Got my kids to babysit, got Dr. appt. and fill in the blanks. Sounds easy but try multiplying the # of Sgt's by number of private call numbers and pagers ect. No oen Sgt can keep up with it, Jeff wins hands down.
    Now if they wanted to pay a full time coordinater with one point of contact, that might work, but its a full time job.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest 88
    C'mon Sarge,

The point I was and still am trying to make is that an agency should put something as valuable as O/T in the hands of a supervisor. If people can give Jeff their private #s, why can't they give them to you? And on top of that, the agency does have everybody's home #....use it. Your argument doesn't make sense.

Your attempted justification for using the "Jeff system" is sad. The fact is that you feel that you are too "busy" to do the work a deputy is doing while he is supposedly working calls......don't insult us by saying that you have less time than a road deputy to do this job (Can't dial the phone and listen to the radio....haven't you ever tried multitasking??? If you can't do two things at once, well, that is pretty sad).

It actually isn't your fault....it is the SSO administration's fault for ALLOWING you to delegate this. Some things need to be handled by a supervisor. And look what has been mentioned already in this post....could the SSO be sued for lack of equitable distribution of O/T?? I'm not sure, but it is obvious that some people are already thinking about it!!! What type of documentation does Jeff keep? Does he have a call log so that we can defend such a lawsuit? I doubt it, and based on our budget woes, we don't need to pay somebody because you will not take responsibility....the same responsibility you ASKED for when you took the sgt's exam.

I'm going to play with my Lincoln Logs now sarge, and by the way.....psssssst........it is "bore", not "boar." (Let's leave animals out of this, and perhaps you should give back that online diploma you "earned.")
    Have a good night!!!!
    Until you spend the first two hours of your shift trying to get someone on their home phone that wants to work OT, WITHOUT HAVING SWEETHEART ARRANGEMENTS, don't criticise. What makes you think all the deputies want the agency to have their personal cell phone number? With all the budget crap going on how can you justify giving every deputy a cell phone?

It was not lazyness that caused me to go to the Jeff system, by the way he works the opposite rotation from me and there fore I rarely called him on duty. Try filling in two weeks of OT for a vacationing deputy. Call Jeff and in a few days he has got it all covoered without charging the SSO OT to make the calls while off duty.

I have even sent out gruop digis trying to fill OT and many times guys just don't want to work it. Guess what? It will get worse with 12 hour shifts because nobody will be able to stay over and when you finally have a day off you don't want to come back in.

Yes, I am sure there is a better way to schedule OT. There is also a way we don't want. It is called mandatory OT. A supervisor taps you on the shoulder and says you are staying over and you cannot say no unless you have a really good excuse. I don't think we want to go there!

Does Jeff have "sweetheart arrangements?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but he does this every day, even when he is working a zone, right? Does he have some kind of special arrangement where he doesn't have to shag calls while he's calling for O/T? I don't think so. Can he call dep's from the other rotation? Yep. What does he do that's so special that he can fill a 2 week vacation slot and you cannot? Bottom line....if he can do it, so can you....you just prefer not to. :wink:

FAIR

HAVE A LIST BY HOURS, THE MORE HOURS YOU WORK THE LOWER YOU GO ON THE LIST. IT CAN BE DONE, EVERY OTHER DEPT DOES IT. YES JEFF WORKS HARD FILLING ZONES, BUT HE GETS HIS. ITS NOT HIS FAULT, HE IS JUST THE ONE THAT GOT STUCK WITH IT, DONT BLAME HIM.
    START OFF BY HAVING A LIST BY DISTRICT. THEN WORK OFF OF THAT, IF IT DOESNT WORK THEN GO BACK TO THE JEFF WAY.

To all of you who have the answer on how to "Get on a list" and have a supervisor call those folks~~ Please remove your cranium from your rectum before reading further.

Most overtime needs are not the result of vacations, but rather, illness, light duty, and other personal emergencies that come up with very little notice. It's these types of vacancies that most supervisors have trouble filling. So try this on for size Big Mouthy Boy!! You are the evening shift supervisor. You come on at 2100 and receive a digi from Comm that your Zone 2 has called in sick. You call one deputy.. it's an answering machine.. you leave a message~~ "Call Me." How long are you gonna wait till you go to Dep. # 2 ??

You try Dep 2.. It's his girl friend.. Says he's out playing softball.. expects him home soon.. he' ll call you.. You try Dep 3.. its his cell phone voice mail.. you leave a message. Try #4... Hi Sarge.. Yeah I'd like to help.. Lemme call and see if I can find a sitter for my kids.. My wife's workin tonight.. Ill Call you back... On and on.. I ve done it.. you can spend hours on the phone tryin to fill a hole.. It is not very effective.. Then when you get a winner... a good super has to call all the others back and tell em he's filled the spot.. As for a full time coordinator.. That's Mon-Fri 8-4.. How's he/she gonna help on the weekends, eves, or midnights..??

I used this system with jeff for years..It is the most efficient way to get the position filled now..Otherwise.. Try to get 2-3 floaters assigned to each squad, and when someone calls in sick or takes a vacation, then you just promote your floater to the zone where he/she is needed.. I agree on this point.. it's not a fair system for Jeff, Who receives no compensation from the dept, and a bunch of crap from some whinney wannabees.

'splain this to me Lucy ?? How come this system worked just fine for 7 or 8 years, and only now is a problem for the few cry babies??

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast