Transition to GA Law Enforcement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transition to GA Law Enforcement

I am an 8 year veteran of a municipal PD here in Florida. I am considering a move north. Curious about GA POST requirements for certified officers. Any references you could provide would be appreciated.

Stay in Floriduuh

Retired last year from Dade County. Check out the GA POST certification web site. Usually, if you have active training and max certification in FL/ Ga will put you through a 200 hour cross certification on high liability, driving, criminal law, etc. They do not have a cross over academy like FDLE does for out of State LEOS. It depends on what they see on your training records, education, and experience. You will be asked to submit all the training records, plus a resume.

If you run into any problems get back with me on this site and I will call you. I am going through the same process as we speak.

ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT YOU WOULD BE S20 TO POLICE IN GA. I HAVE MANY YEARS IN WITH ATLANTA PD AND I CAN PROMISE YOU THAT THE SYSTEM IS VERY MESSED UP. EACH TIME YOU ARREST SOMEONE YOU "WILL" HAVE TO OBTAIN A WARRANT FOR THAT PERSON WITHIN 48HRS. YOU "WILL" HAVE TO GO BEFORE A JUDGE AND EXPLAIN WHY YOU ARRESTED HIM. IT IS ABSOLUTLEY THE WORST JUSTICE SYSTEM IN THE USA. ALL TRAFFIC INFRACTIONS ARE MISDEMEANORS SO YOU WILL HAVE TO GOTO COURT "EVERYTIME YOU WRITE A TICKET". I WORKED IN FLORIDA AND MOVED TO GA WORKING AS A COP. I COULD NOT MAKE IT MORE THAN 2YRS BEFORE I RETURNED TO FLA. IF YOU WANT TO GOTO GA TO BE A COP I SUGGEST U RESEARCH IT BIG TIME BECAUSE I CAN PROMISE YOU WILL REGRET IT. BY THE WAY I WORKED FOR THE HIGHEST PAID DEPT... APD AND I MADE 42K A YEAR ON 8HRS SHIFTS. AND ALSO DONT FORGET BY GA STATE LAW YOU ONLY GET PAID $25 DOLLARS FOR COURT BY THE DIST. ATTORNEY NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU ARE THERE... YOU BEST DO YOUR HOMEWORK GA LEO SUCKS.....

It cant be a Georgia law or state mandate to get $25.00 for crt because some agencies, ie, Gwinnett County pd as stand by pay and a 3hr min for crt. My suggestion to you is to take a few days off and visit some of the depts that you are interested in. And try to speak with the Ofcs that you see on the street, because they will provide you with the best and honest informations.

I recently went through the appication process for Dekalb P.D. I was disappointed at the treatment of applicants with many years of law enforcement experience. There was a long time civilian employ of the agency that went through at the time I did. That person made statements to me about the high turnover rate, specifically at this department. I could understand those statements after the process.
    It may sound like I'm disgruntled because I did not get an offer, but that is not the case. My only reason for posting is to say how quickly I realized how great I had it.
    I was hard-pressed to find agencies that allowed takehome cars like many do in Florida(knock on wood),not to mention rate of pay and benefits.
    I don't presume to know everything about the Georgia deparments, I can only speak of my own experience. Florida is pretty great even with our occasional news-worthy drama. To all FL and GA LEO's Be Safe

GA vs FL

Totally agree. Law enforcement in GA is way behind the times as far as pay, benefits, and retirement. No backing from union what so ever... and if you get in a shooting... good luck your on your own. Also if already certified they put you in an academy with current rookies in between their classes. They dont have a crossover academy like FDLE just for experienced LEO"s. If you have had an other experiences in GA I would like to know. POST sent me a letter and I need the 200 hrs high liability classes before 3 years of my prior job. Howver, I will say this... the guys and gals are much more professional than some S FL LEO's but some lack good officer safety issues. Depends on agency. Plus everything goes through a warrant vs just a PC Affidavit.. what a waste of man hours !

From what I was told, if you have at least 2 years of full time experience. There is a modified 7 weeks academy available.

GA POST

I have a letter from GA POST, it says all I need is 200 hrs of high liability. The catch is they put you in an academy class with new recruits at various times. GA POST does not have seperate classes for out of State LEO's like FDLE does on the comparative compliance classes... something they should look into and make the transition easier!

You are right. However, just remember that it is for 7 weeks. And they may be a staffing issue(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast