Dispatcher Bill - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dispatcher Bill

You deserve what you can get

I am a LEO and I appreciate the job you all do up there. I hope you get that bill passed because you deserve it. Just like we deserve better so do you. Go get whatever you can to better your careers and lives. Good luck.

To the dumbass that thinks that being a dispatcher is not a stressful job...think again...First of all, it is not a comfy environment...stress surrounds you 24/7. Wether you are a 911 operator, teletype operator or dispatcher you are under some type of stress. The 911 operators deal with people screaming at them, being ignorant, babies drowning, people being shot (and sometimes hear the shooting over the phone) to name a few things. When an officer/deputy pulls over your silly ass, the teletype person get to see how many times you've broken the law, what youve done and possibly of some armed suspects who may be in a stolen vehicle. Then we come to the dispatchers who have to be on their toes for the officers every move because who knows whats going to happen...case in point the 2 deputies last week. And you say there is no stress. Well then, I think you need you head examined. I just touched the tip of the iceberg on this very envolved and stressing job. Yes, I to work in the Communication Center and have for quite sometime now. The stress makes you sick (physically at times) and the nonstop chaos does too.

I am a LEO for Palm Beach SO. I have worked many hours up in "Crystal Palace" answering the phones on 3-11s. After 4 hours up there, you are ready to go off on some poor dipstick who calls in with some TNS complaint. The lines are ALL lit up, 911 and regular. As soon as you finish typing up a call and disconnect, the line starts ringing again. It may not be the "gun in your face" stress, but it is non the less STRESS ! ! It has the same detrimnental effects. I hope you dispatchers get the increases you seek. !.6% is a joke. After 30 years that comes to 48%. Thats crap, especially since it is predicted Social Security will be broke in a few years anyway. Then what, stand on the corner with a sign reading "Will dispatch for food"? Dispatchers deserve better.

I am a leo for a local broward county department. I am also an F.T.O. If there is one thing that I teach my trainees it is respect for you guys. I have never been a dispatcher and am guilty for being less than polite sometimes to you guys (due to 10-33 calls). But I have nothing but the utmost respect for you guys. Dispatchers hold the lives of the public, and leos in their hands and most do a great job with this awesome responsability. They get abused by the public and never even get to feel the satisfaction of putting a pair of handcuffs on the person that is abusing them (like we sometimes do). I say these things because a dispatcher saved my life about 5 years ago. The details are not important but, I will say that it was a dipatcher that was able to anticipate where I was running in a foot chase of an armed subject and after the battery on my radio got disconnected with out me knowing it was able to get backup units to me. upon thier arrival I was still fighting with the subject.
    I think that you guys are heros too. and are entitled to the benifit that you guys are looking for. And to the idiot that keeps making those stupid posts I say this: work your next shift with out your radio and see how safe you feel. To you dispatchers an honest "THANK YOU"

I am a leo for a local broward county department. I am also an F.T.O. If there is one thing that I teach my trainees it is respect for you guys. I have never been a dispatcher and am guilty for being less than polite sometimes to you guys (due to 10-33 calls). But I have nothing but the utmost respect for you guys. Dispatchers hold the lives of the public, and leos in their hands and most do a great job with this awesome responsability. They get abused by the public and never even get to feel the satisfaction of putting a pair of handcuffs on the person that is abusing them (like we sometimes do). I say these things because a dispatcher saved my life about 5 years ago. The details are not important but, I will say that it was a dipatcher that was able to anticipate where I was running in a foot chase of an armed subject and after the battery on my radio got disconnected with out me knowing it was able to get backup units to me. upon thier arrival I was still fighting with the subject.
    I think that you guys are heros too. and are entitled to the benifit that you guys are looking for. And to the idiot that keeps making those stupid posts I say this: work your next shift with out your radio and see how safe you feel. To you dispatchers an honest "THANK YOU"

high risk bill

While I do not put on a gun and a badge every day....I ask the ignorant ass that posted our non stress position status to work an officer involved shooting...tell me about the non stress sit on my butt position....you are a disgrace to whatever position you hold. Thank you to the the fellow south Florida officer for your support. My issue with this position is that we are classified with toll takers and paper pushers in an office who dont have to listen to an officers last words or a mother screaming for her childs life, or leave their family during a hurricane because the roads are closed and so are the schools. With all due respect to whatever position I think we deserve the bump. Oh and just for info, it knocks us down to 25 years not our rate of retirement contribution so in essence we still get screwed its not the same high risk as sworn get if that makes the jerk feel any better.

BSO PROUD

I worked over 30 years as a South Fl LEO including at BSO. I have also been assigned to the dispatch center at numerous agencies when they were short staff. You are the greatest and keep everyone of us safe. It is a pleasure to here a calm voice when the SH-T hits the fan. I commend each of you daily. Please do not allow a disgrunted LEO to keep you from your positive spirit. The stress is equal if not more as you are calling what is happening... trying to keep everyone calm and also at the same time get the appropriate help everyone needs.
    Keep up the great work... most of us love you guys and gals..
    I Thank You...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12