Lap Tops-GPS - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lap Tops-GPS

the almighty GPS

you are right.
    the GPS will expose some call dodgers or call milkers or casanovas but we have one of the largest illegal immigration problems, we are the chosen hangout of terrorists, we have a huge population of legal residents with names that befuddle our computers and while cops in the Georgia mountains had thumb scanners to id people in 1998, in 2007 we got laptops that keep an eye on deputies and don't forget the thorough fingerprinting of late. hard chargers are always full of crap. their cases always suck and eventually they get jammed up for some kind of stupidity. one day, you will be one of the older deputies that you deem useless and you'll have a better understanding of what the job is really all about. until then, i will proudly think of myself as a retard because the name retard refers slangly to a retarded person and every retarded person i ever met was trying to do the best they could with the challenges they had. nobody is afraid of technology. but for all the GPS might help idiots who can't use a map or know their zone, there's tools like the thumb scanner, simple tint meters and more drug dogs that would serve as tools to stop, identify and search criminals which would lead to arrests of criminals which is what we are supposed to be doing. a year from now, you might not like your laptop GPS so much. the GPS helps me by substantiating my work but just because it's good for me doesn't mean that i think cops need any more micromanagement issues. you are right though, i am a retard. thank you.

laptops

you couldn't have said it better. (been there/Done that

Re: LAPTOP GPS

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEN THERE/DONE THAT
    AFTER 8 YEARS, IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN ENOUGH PEOPLE GET DEMOLISHED BY THE ADMIN MACHINE, YOU MUST BE IN A BUBBLE.
    DOING QUALITY WORK MEANS TAKING TIME TO DO THE INDEPENDENT PARTS OF AN INVESTIGATION CAREFULLY AND ACCURATELY. ZIPPING AROUND LIKE AN ENERGIZER BUNNY, TRYING TO MAKE SGTS LIKE YOU WONT DO YOU ANY GOOD WHEN THE BLUE TEAM HAMMER FALLS ON YOUR 8 YEAR VETERAN HEAD. RESPECT VETERAN DEPUTIES. THERE'S A REASON WHY THEY USUALLY TAKE THINGS AT A MORE CAREFUL PACE.
    THAT GPS WILL EFFECTIVELY END WHAT EVERY SUPERVISOR IN THIS AGENCY HAD FOR ALL THEIR YEARS (BUT YOU DON'T HAVE ANYMORE), PRIVACY . IF YOU DON'T THINK THAT THE GPS IS A TOOL IN THE SUPERVISORY TOOLBOX OF DEPUTY FIXER UPPERS, YOU MIGHT BE THE FIRST LUCKY PERSON TO FIND OUT WHAT IT CAN DO FOR YOU.
    MOST OF THOSE "JOHNNY LAW/ GO GET 'EM" TYPES DO ALOT OF QUESTIONABLE SEARCHES AND USE ALOT OF INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE. MAYBE THE LAPTOP MIGHT EVEN HEAR THINGS. WHO KNOWS.
    HOWEVER, PBSO IS THE BEST LE SHOP IN THE STATE AND A GREAT PLACE TO WORK AS LONG AS YOU DON'T HAVE SOME 8 YEAR ZEALOT WORKING NEAR YOU.

What. I came from a city that had the silent sergeant in the car and computer. The city and their supervisors were more liberal than PBSO could ever be. We had the silent sergeant in our cars that monitored our speed, where we were, how long we were they, what we were saying and so forth. when we activated our lights and siren the sergeant knew that and would watch how fast we were going. I can say, the GPS and cameras helped me out more than they hurt me. It's people like you who can't change with the change in time and are better off retiring. Technology is the future, and PBSO is antiquated. Computers will cut back on the paperwork, and allow us t o run tags, use DAVID, and do our own reports. Who knows maybe computer will force some of the useless older Deputies out and make room for some hard chargers. Again the GPS will not be used for discipline purposes. The lazy PEOPLE who are always dodging calls, or sitting at home all shift should get caught and hopefully fired. More accountability, and for some in this agency, they need it. It’s a real pain when you are humping calls and your zone partner is at his girlfriends house while you’re taking delayed calls in his zone. Maybe you’re one of those Deputies. Afraid to do your own reports? I don’t know, but I do know the wheels of progress can’t be stopped and if you can’t live with it you are going to have a hard life. Go find a larger agency without computers and GPS. Boca, Delray, FHP, WPB, Greenacres, well every city in Palm Beach has them. BSO has GPS now. I hear Riviera doesn’t, maybe that may be a good place to apply.
    Wow! Must be something in the air that has everyone so touchy. The technology is outstanding and way overdue for our department. However, don't for one second think that the minute you screw up that the same technology won't be used against you. You are no different than anyone else and however great this department is, it is a great place to work, it comes down to C.Y.A. Don't take everything so personal, unless in all your zipping around you've done something that makes you feel everything is directed at you. I appreciate your anger though, it amuses me.

I didn't realize you guys didn't have computers in your cruisers. Has the agency purchased a system yet? If so what system did they go with? GPS definitely has it's pro's and con's, but overall the computers make policing a lot easier and expedite a lot of things. Stay safe.

Don't worry about the GPS and the computers, the agency is not out to get anyone. This is the national trend that has been around for numerous years. But maybe that zone partner you have who is dodging the calls then wants to sleep for hours at a time at night, maybe he should be looked at.

Im one that is looking forward to GPS and deputy accountability.

There will be no "10-53" an hour prior to getting off, only to be parked in the driveway 5 minutes later.

There will be no more hiding for the cowardice deputies when there is an in progress call and the deputy is already at the entrance of the community.

No more "any unit in the area of xxx for a xxx"

No more units going halfway across their district, or even out of the district to go home.

While its a completely real possibility that abuse will happen, and it will be used against us at times. I feel this is the only way for these guys we work with to start answering for their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by User33
    I didn't realize you guys didn't have computers in your cruisers. Has the agency purchased a system yet? If so what system did they go with? GPS definitely has it's pro's and con's, but overall the computers make policing a lot easier and expedite a lot of things. Stay safe.
    Yes the agency has purchased the system. I'm not sure what you're asking as to what system we got, but our new cad system was designed by one of the top computer guys in the nation. I saw the system and it's amazing. The current mapping program was deleted, and PBSO went with Microsoft Map Point which links to the current GPS in the computer, it works great. All cars will have ticket printers and DL swipes. The computers are Panasonic tough books. Hope this helps.

Yes the agency has purchased the system. I'm not sure what you're asking as to what system we got, but our new cad system was designed by one of the top computer guys in the nation. I saw the system and it's amazing. The current mapping program was deleted, and PBSO went with Microsoft Map Point which links to the current GPS in the computer, it works great. All cars will have ticket printers and DL swipes. The computers are Panasonic tough books. Hope this helps.
    We got the same CAD system that Fire Rescue got, has anyone talked to Fire Rescue about their problems?

Why would we delete the current mapping program, when it's capable of working with GPS and the new CAD system. Map Point is nothing more than Streets & Trips, with a few more bells and whistles. The mapping program the department has been using for years is the county standard and compatible with all county agency mapping systems. Seems like a waste of money to just ditch it since Map Point streets won't be updated as quickly as the current program is.

I thought we were getting ITronix laptops?

Quote Originally Posted by How do you know?
    We got the same CAD system that Fire Rescue got, has anyone talked to Fire Rescue about their problems?

Why would we delete the current mapping program, when it's capable of working with GPS and the new CAD system. Map Point is nothing more than Streets & Trips, with a few more bells and whistles. The mapping program the department has been using for years is the county standard and compatible with all county agency mapping systems. Seems like a waste of money to just ditch it since Map Point streets won't be updated as quickly as the current program is.

I thought we were getting ITronix laptops?
    Well since I'm on the board, we are not going with fire rescue cad system, it was created by one of our Sergeants. Fire rescue has not had any problems with their system. The map being used currently wasn't user friendly so Map point was the agreed upon system. It's compatible with the computer GPS. Map point is upgraded every year, I don't know where you got your information. Our computers are Panasonics, sorry to disappoint you it's a better computer. Just be happy, beggars can't be choosers. I would be happy with a dell at this point. The system is amazing. Coming from a city PD with great technology I didn't think it was possible to top it. PBSO will with their new system.

Quote Originally Posted by Because I know
    Well since I'm on the board, we are not going with fire rescue cad system, it was created by one of our Sergeants. Fire rescue has not had any problems with their system. The map being used currently wasn't user friendly so Map point was the agreed upon system. It's compatible with the computer GPS. Map point is upgraded every year, I don't know where you got your information. Our computers are Panasonics, sorry to disappoint you it's a better computer. Just be happy, beggars can't be choosers. I would be happy with a dell at this point. The system is amazing. Coming from a city PD with great technology I didn't think it was possible to top it. PBSO will with their new system.
    I find it very hard to believe that you're on the board and this is the information your giving. Obviously, you are someone that was picked to sit on the board that has no working knowlegde of computers (very typical). If you were on the board you would know that we are going with the same CAD vendor as Fire Rescue, which is Intergraph, but maybe you were on a "late" call when that was decided.

Your right about the current map system not being "user friendly", but that wouldn't be a problem if the department had done what they promised several years ago and TRAINED people. You're correct with saying that Map Point is updated once a year, however, the current map is updated EVERY DAY. To me that sounds like a better deal, when this county is growing SO fast.

As far as the laptops go, I'm ok with Panasonics, was just confused because some of the testers were testing ITronics and thought they were great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast