Indiana State Police

Indiana State Police

On Monday July 9, 2007 while traveling southbound on I-69 with my wife and small children, I was pulled over by Trooper Willis Hughes for traveling 81 in a 70 mph zone. Trooper Hughes was extremely rude and hostile during the traffic stop. Despite the fact that I remained calm and quiet, complied with every request made by Trooper Hughes, displayed my hands at all times for Trooper Hughes, and clearly displayed my law enforcement officer credentials to Trooper Hughes. Instead of extending me respect and/or professional courtesy, Trooper Hughes instead chose to chew me out in front of my family and then issue me a summons for 81/70mph zone which is over $125.00 fine. Trooper Hughes told me that "it didn't matter" that I was a cop. He also gave me the old smirk with a "You have a nice day now" while handing me the summons. I wonder what Trooper Hughes would think if an off-duty cop took the same attitude the next time he is passing a Trooper in distress. I guess that Officer should just keep on driving and say, "It doesn't matter that he is a cop." No wonder why he could barely look me in the eye when he issued that summons.

Sorry

Well, I guess times have changed, even in Indiana. It used to be the Troopers would extend you a courtesy....LOrd knows I have extended to them a few times......especially 81/70??? 11 over??? PETTY ! ! !
    Seems a littel harsh, but he was within his rights....BUt WHY would you do that to another cop. Glad to hear you acted right during the incident in spite of a jerk. Just remember, there are "those" in every agency. Hopefully, his co-workers with put a little heat on him. Just dont loose sight of the big picture.....We are all brothers, and even if a brother did you wrong, dont pay if back by stooping to his level. If we dont take care of eachother, who will? Be Safe.