ABT Hire - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ABT Hire

I have to assume there is more than one interpretation of 316..640 Infractions may be an issue but crimial statutes are not. I am basing that on the fact that more than one UTC has been issued by ABT agents and it did not cuase a problem for anyone but the defendant. Does ABT work traffic? NO.

Assume away, there is just no legal authority to issue a citation. I wonder how ABT agents even got a ticket book issued to them?

Maybe someone with an ABT issued UTC book can put the statutory cite on this website!

The ABT issued a UTC book primarily to supervisors. As I understand it, this was done to facilitate the processing of misdeameanor arrests for some types of criminal DL violations. In the past ABT used a NTA to process these violations but this caused some technical issues in some clerk's offices. The solution was to use the UTC for the DL violations. This was a year ago, and I haven't heard much more about it.
    The facts are ABT has UTC books. The books came from DHSMV. ABT does not work traffic. I don't care enough about the issue to look up the powers bill and the AG ruling that covers ABT authority.

I asked the original traffic question, and to be honest, i could care less about traffic. I asked the quesiton bc I saw one of ya'll cars the other day and it said state officer. I figured with the state markings you could pull people over. I dont really care for 316 but it was just a question. Any reason why ABT was not inclued in the 316 state LE statute and most other agencies were??

The primary duties, really. Aside from that, no reason. Back in 1995, we had a director who had our enforcement authority reduced in a similar fashion to the Feds. Our powers went from everything to only beverage related matters, and all state felonies. That's right...the genius thought it would be a good idea for us not to be able to take action on any misdemeanors outside of a licensed premises. Thankfully, that was rescinded last year, and we're back to full enforcement powers. As far as the other agencies go, they have the 316 authority due to their visibility (my guess). We have marked cars (as far as I know, it's the first time in history) for the purposes of some of our public ventures like football games, fantasy fest, and spring break. They also help us in the area of warrant services. Even though we don't have regular traffic authority, we do have the ability to stop for criminal traffic. :cop:

That was also my other question. I noticed that you all had nice, new marked "police" cars, so i figured maybe they are movin in that direction, for whatever reason. Anyways, its really not a big deal. More of a quirky question i had. be safe.

uniform traffic citations

hey atb! give the facts.

1. those that desire to be the first responder need to be either the sheriff or municipal police!

2. want to write tickets, (UTC's), then join the FHP and you will have to make the non-quota, quota.

3. join atb, fire marshall, financial, and a host of other investigative agencies that do not take reports on missing people, car thefts, or deal with the signal 20 elements of the public.

4. work in the community then get into field operations or patrol. if you like specialized police work then then get into the brain cops where degrees are mandatory. most response from the writers sound as if they are trying on clothing missing the seriousness of either career. the brain cops have the industry by the rules. the street cops are held to the rules of the public, by statute, by fantasy, and by perception. all the brain cops have to call the street cops for help. who do you call?

investigate your career choice completely. its your life.

Inquiring on ABT

Very good responses. I am wondering why the sudden presence of uniforms and marked cars. Are you moving away from the Special Agent concept? I saw a marked car at at a LEO funeral a while back. I am confused what is ABT idea of Shift work?

Assistance is appreciated

Yes, some poor decisions have been made. The uniforms and marked units were, I think, a failed experiment.

To "Trained Observer":

Yes, we do at times have to call the street cops, but not because we are so called "Brain Cops". In case you don't know, we have ALOT of agents who have been street cops...for years, and in places like NYC, the southwestern US, and other big-ass places. Don't try to put us down for seeking an investigative career track. We work in ALL areas, from rich to piss-poor. We go weaponless on many UC investigations. We perform surveillance operations in shit-ass environments. We serve warrants, and seize alcohol - which is usually met with hostility.

I love patrol. I love all aspects of LE work. So what if I, as many others, have decided to try our hands at something else? We need you just as much as you need us...like it or not. If you are going to maintain that narrow minded mentality of yours, you'll be stuck a ptrolman due to your own ignorance. And, in the case you become a detective, you'll just be a hypocrit.

:twisted:

work it all

ABT has its fair share of problems. I have been limited on what I could do in certain offices. However, for the most part I have been able to work whatever cases I wanted. I am a trained detective and have exercised my abilities to kick ass with this division on more than one occasion. Old Chief Myers once said, "This place is what you make of it". He was right in many regards. If you want to work, you go out and work. If you want to be a lazy shit stain, then a shit stain you are and everyone knows it. I along with many others network with other agencies and get a lot accomplished. Unfortunately, with this current administration being more focused on wearing hefty bag informs and driving marked cars, I have to network more to take advantage of other department’s resources. It’s a sad state of affairs when the second highest revenue generating agency in the state has to finagle money and equipment from other agencies. But the fact remains; you can work nearly any investigation you want if you know how.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast