The lone Deputy - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The lone Deputy

Junior Member LEO Affairs Rookie
    Panhandle Po-Po,

Thanks for the information. I have to give it some more thought. I will be taking a pay cut if I am hired. If I remember right you said the starting pay was 32,000 a year. I need to see if I can afford to live on that. What about off duty details? How much do they pay on average? Also, what about house rentals?

Thanks,
    K9
    You block your dream when you allow your fear to grow bigger than your faith. -Mary Manin Morrissey

Thanks for the information. I have to give it some more thought. I will be taking a pay cut if I am hiried. If I remember right you said the starting pay was 32,000 a year. I need to see if I can afford to live on that. What about off duty details? How much do they pay on average? Also, what about house rentals?

Off-duty details are available, its busier during the spring break time frame (Feb-May) and you can pull in around 1500.00 per month. Between Jun-Oct its okay and you can average around 700.00 per month. Nov-Jan it slows down and you may only have around 4 details per month, but people are always looking to get rid of details for one reason or another.

Details pay 25.00 per hour.

I don't live in county so I don't know what the rental prices are. In my area you can get a good place in a good neighborhood for around 1000.00 a month.

I don't think I would take a pay cut to come here, I'd probably be content just visiting my relatives that lived here. By the way we only get paid once a month, which sucks, but I guess I'm use to it now.

PPP

Off-duty details are available. Its busier during the spring break time frame (Feb-May) and you can pull in around 1500.00 per month. Between Jun-Oct its okay and you can average around 700.00 per month. Nov-Jan it slows down and you may only have around 4 details per month. You can probably make more those amounts becuase people are always looking to get rid of details for one reason or another. I've made around 10,000.00 in the year I've been doing details.

Details pay 25.00 per hour.

I don't live in county so I don't know what the rental prices are. In my area you can get a good place in a good neighborhood for around 1000.00 a month.

I don't think I would take a pay cut to come here, I'd probably be content just visiting my relatives that lived here. By the way we only get paid once a month, which sucks, but I guess I'm use to it now.

PPP

Panhandle Po-Po:

What Union are ya'll with? I couldn't find a FOP lodge in Walton county.

We have the GOB: (Good Ol' Boy) representation :!:

Sorry, no union here, the WCSO hasn't come that far yet. With 250 sworn personnel hopefully we'll get a union sometime in the not too distant future.

It will probably have to wait for an administration change; there is still a lot of that "this is how we used to do it" mentality.

PPP

Walton County has plently of lodges, but only if your looking for a Masonic lodge, not a FOP lodge. I think the closest FOP lodge is in Okaloosa County.

Quite a few WCSO deputies are members of the Masonic lodge and our #1 holds a very high position within the Masonic organization. Not to say that, that impacts deputy membership though.

But, in my opinion that is where the GOB network has its foundation. I can't remember how many times I've been on a call and have been approached by someone saying "good job" I'll tell #1 about you.

When I first came here I was :? when people said that, but soon realized what they meant and how they were connected.

PPP

I don't know whether that is a good thing or not.

I just pray to God ya'll don't ever go with Teamsters... That is a horror story within itself, and plus they will take you on a magic carpet ride when it comes to your pension.

Thanks for the info!

Well since I just thought of this, are ya'll allowed to have tint in your cars?

What kind of duty gear is issued?

Have they put those Glocks in service yet, are ya'll since with the Berettas?

Yes, we can our windows at our expense, but only the rear windows not the front driver/passenger. Screw that, I'm all about my comfort. I'm not going to waste my money tinting the back windows when I don't care if those being transported have the sun beating down on them or can be seen by the public.

We are issued ugly ass leather basket weave styled duty gear. The worst part is the belt, which has an old west gunslinger style buckle attachment sewn to the front part. Its a b***h to get your cuff cases, etc. past that attachment piece.

They got around 400 Glock 40's in March; was supposed to have everyone re-qual so we could get rid of the Berretta's, but it hasn't happened yet. New hires are issued the Glocks though.

I have been a deputy 21 years and My wife is a Fort Lauderdale PO. I am thinking about moving to the panhandle someday. I was checking your thread and I feel envious.. I have worked the jail, road patrol and I am currently an SRO at a middle school. I can taste the relaxation just looking at your agency's web site. I am getting tired going to funnerals down here.. I will have my 25 years in soon and I will be 47. Not too old to start a second retirement. I am fluent in spanish.. Do you have latins in your community. Just wondering...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast