SLOWLY BUT SURELY
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

SLOWLY BUT SURELY

At this time where everybody wants to belly ache about what we don't have, let's take a minute to give kudos to the Chief and EAB about the things coming to pass as of late. Just like we get tired of complaints, gripes and moans on the street about us, I'm sure the Chief get tired of it too from us. Let's acknowledge the little victories Even though they are small and insignificant to some, they are still victories. Hopefully they will result in what we all want come October. Remember change does come but it doesn't happen over night. Whatever the circumstances were to get this point, don't really matter anymore. They are past events. We just need to focus on remaining a team and going home at the end of the day. The other things are being addressed, we just have to continue to be patient. There are lot of agencies that have it much worse than us. Look at the posts for Zephyr Hills P.D. Most of us had the opportunity to research your choices when you put your applications in. We had the opportunity to say no when the Chief offered you a job. So that must mean it wasn't all about the money. Somewhere in there it must have meant this is where we wanted to work. So I don't think we should bad mouth the agency and the man who hired us

changes

It is hard not to bellyache when things have been allowed to get as bad as they have. As you said, kudos to the EAB, but I wouldn't extend them to the Chief.
    He has been in office over 10 years, the situation we have did not develop yesterday. He has been advised over the years about current issues, likes, and dislikes. I have sat in meetings with him where he was advised of these issues. His response was either "I'll look into it" or more often dismissive.
    It has been brought up on a number of occasions that we need more officers, not just on the street but in most sections. In 10 years, the city has grown quite a bit, how many positions for officers have we had added. We are currently down approx 10 officers counting the recent hirings and possible hirings. If our department had say, 100 officer positions, 10 empty slots wouldn't hurt near as much as when you have 75 officer positions.
    For years, officers have wanted small things such as ball caps, why did it take a crisis to get them approved. Morale and retention is not going to improve around here until Chief makes a very strong effort to improve it. I know I'm not the only one Chief walks by and doesn't say anything when I say hi.
    When take home pay and benefits improve to the point I don't have to work off duty jobs just to get by every week (it isn't like I'm living it up), there are enough officers to cover all of the zones and rovers (like we once had) so I have time to conduct traffic stops and be proactive, and promotions and specialty positions are based on merit, experience, and seniority instead of favoritism and "newness factor-1 year or less of LEO experience" then we will attract and retain more quality officers then we could ever use. As it is, we have returned to a status we once had many years ago. A training agency for other departments. We train the officers and send them to another department.
    As for hoping for improvements in October, I have heard that every year. I really enjoyed my raise last year. It raised my standard of living tremendously. I hope you enjoyed yours as well. Over the past 10 years, we have had way more disappointing budgets than ones we liked. What happens next if you don't get what you want this time? Are you going to post another "wait until next October'?
    As for comparing agencies, I was off duty near some deputies griping about their agency. One stated "it could be worse, we could be working for Plant City". I though seriously about identifying myself and defending our agency. I didn't though, it is hard to argue against a fact.

Just a thought

We are no more a training agency for other departments today than we have ever been. No agency in this area can compare to TPD's pay. As long as they are hiring we will always lose a few people to them.

The problem (if you really think about it) is that we have not been making an effort to replace the officers that we lost over the past couple years. That has changed!!!!! It is amazing that when you call applicants back and get them in the hiring process that you can actually hire people. I believe you will really start to see a difference in the next few months as far as hiring goes.

I know the reason that I applied at PCPD and have stayed at PCPD is because of the people. I like working where I know everyone and everyone knows me and there is a feeling of "family". We are family and we need to watch out for each other. I have not ever meant to give anyone the impression that I think this place is perfect and that Oct. 1st is going to be some miracle day when suddenly we get a huge raise and no one ever has to work signal 15 again. I dont know what October 1st will bring. I only hope that its great news for all of us. If not, then we can decide what needs to be done at that time.

THIS COMMENT IS SPECIFICALLY TO SENIOR LEO - if things have been so bad here for so long and you have been so unhappy with your pay and benefits - WHY HAVE YOU STAYED SO LONG?????

senior leo-staying soooo long

we stay in belief that things will change in the october to follow and when the change does not happen it seems that another year wasted towards retirement.then we the seniors are stuck.

Polk, You have not worked on the street in a long time. Patrol officers is the heart of the agency. You don't understand how it is to run call to call.

You have been in the back since, year two of your employment. You have people standing right behind you at all times.

Patrol officer's need better back up. Until, Plant City losses an officer to death. McDaniel's feels we are just numbers to him. He don't have to answer to our children or family's. He has all the toys. He comes in and does his time . He don't now or every will care for the officers of Plant City. Its just a job to him. If he did he would say hello to his officer's. We give him the repect of a kind "hello". What kinda family is really at Plant City.

McDaniel didn't even to go Matt William's day of rest. Every other agencies brass was there. Our chief had a stomach problem or was it his unform didn't fit.....

Some want to leave Plant City but has claim bank-rup. They can't leave now..........Don't let him blow smoke. The changes will start when we have new brass at the top. :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

If you think just because I have not worked patrol in years that I do not understand --- You are WRONG!!
    First of all, thats why I wanted the temporary recruiter position. So we could fill the vacancies and get more people out on the street to help patrol. Because you are right about one thing - patrol is the backbone of the agency - the agency would not exist without patrol. Patrol should be the number one priority.
    Secondly, I am apparently a lot smarter than you give me credit for because while you may think someone has blown smoke up my a**, I can assure you that is not the case. I speak my mind at each and every opportunity, sometimes when it would actually be better for me personally to just shut up. Trust me when I say that I have been on our side (because I am still one of you!!!)

changes

keep blowing smoke Polk... if we need to have good advice we will seek our mothers. wake up...it is bad... will stay bad... Family you say..hummmm..Let;s have a family reunion... :!: :!: :!:

WHATEVER!!

Guest, whoever you are, you must not know me or have ever spoken to me about my opinions on any subject. I never said it wasn't bad, what I always said was lets do what we can to make it better. Guess what - people like you have made me sick of trying!!!!!!! Do it on your own.

not that bad!

Polk...don't let the one or two officers (and I use that title only because they have a badge, not that they deserve one) that continue to gripe about how bad things are convince you to stop attempting to make things better. We do have areas that we can improve on...but show me any department that is perfect. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence...what we need to do is pluck the couple of weeds (aka the previously mentioned "officers") growing in our grass and throw them over the fence. We can only continue to try to make this department the best that it possibly can be. I for one can tell you this department is light years ahead of where it was when Surrency was here and I appreciate your efforts to make it even better.

Bushwacked by rookies

Quote Originally Posted by old enough to know better
    Polk...don't let the one or two officers (and I use that title only because they have a badge, not that they deserve one) that continue to gripe about how bad things are convince you to stop attempting to make things better. We do have areas that we can improve on...but show me any department that is perfect. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence...what we need to do is pluck the couple of weeds (aka the previously mentioned "officers") growing in our grass and throw them over the fence. We can only continue to try to make this department the best that it possibly can be. I for one can tell you this department is light years ahead of where it was when Surrency was here and I appreciate your efforts to make it even better.
    I AGREE TOTALLY WITH YOUR ASSESSMENT OF THE DEPT....The younger officer's ( or as I should put it SEASONED OFFICERS of less than 2 yrs. ) continue to gripe about the dept. These officers have no idea what it was like to work for the former Chief or a Capt. who would make you re-write an accident report for a misp.word or the diagram had an erasure mark on it or a Sgt. who always had to show who was boss. That regime is over and WE need to move forward on a positive note. Let's start weeding out the problems....let's help them get to HCSO, TAMPA , POLK....ect.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast