Nepotism, what is it?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Nepotism, what is it?

Nepotism refers to the act of favoring relatives because of their relationship more than their abilities. The word nepotism comes from the Latin word 'nepos', meaning "nephew" or "grandchild".

But, what IS IT?

FACT: We have prohibited family members of current employees from working here in the past. I also happen to know that these prohibited applicants are exceptional police officers. One works for SPPD while the other is at St. Pete Beach. So it's obvious from these two examples alone (let's label them Exhibit 402 and Exhibit 318) that people of realation are NOT allowed to work at this agency. These are just the two that I can think of. This is perhaps due to the "Henevelds" of past. A sterling example of why husband and wife should not work together in an agency this size.

QUESTION: When does this rule take effect, at birth or marriage? The answer is obvious. Should the agency allow this? Or better yet, should WE as THE AGENCY allow this?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FACT: A female officer was bumped from an OT detail by a senior officer. Happens all the time, everyday in every agency. I would wager, no matter what your seniority is at this reading, that you too have experienced being "bumped."

QUESTION: Did you have the ability to have your spouse, who is a Senior Police Officer and senior to the officer that bumped you, RE-BUMP the other guy, and sign up for the details? Now this in-and-of itself is not anything more than just spiteful but can be tolerated. But it does not end here.

FACT: This S.P.O. bumped the other guy, divided the OT detail(s) in half and split it with his wife who was already bumped off.

QUESTION: These details are set up and coordinated by a certain officer. She draws up the schedules and ensures that they are covered per policy. Why is a S.P.O. dividing up details and placing his wife on there when if he REALLY wanted to work the detail, he would just take it all himself. Oh, that's right....we have a policy that says you can only have 5 hours of OT per week before your seniority becomes worthless. Why doesn't the other officer just bump the wife from the 1/2 of the detail that she is covering? He was on there first to begin with right, so if the S.P.O. only wanted to work half of the detail, why not split it with the guy that is senior to his wife? Anyone get where I am going with this?

This whole situation just stinks of more than greed. The administration obviously does not care that this goes on and it has for years! We need to make sure that they know that we are not going to put up with it. If you get bumped by a senior officer, especially if his wife just got bumped from a detail, you better check the board the next day.

If you find that your detail that was taken away from you has now been miraculously divided in 1/2 and a junior person is signed up for it, you better bump them and get your 1/2 back. Or better yet, if it is a CERTAIN S.P.O. check with the comm center or 419 after the detail and see who actually showed up. It is only just a matter of time before he puts his name on it and she shows up to cover at the "last minute."

They get away with this for only two reasons. 1) The admin lets them and 2) WE let them. Well, when #2 stops, this BS will stop!

WAKE UP!!! This has gone on for too long!!! Stand up for yourselves!!!

We are not going to "win" as there is two of them acting as one single corporation or LLC. The odds are in their favor as it is essentially 2 against 1. But that's fine, it is not about winning, it is about what's fair and just. Why should you be deprived some off duty pay because someone else needs another 4 wheeler?

This is yet another sterling example of why this should not be tolerated. We could very well be writing this about two brothers, but, we do not allow this at our agency. We prohibit brothers from working here for this very reason. But, we have a history of bending the rules for some and not others.

It is one thing to be an exception to a rule, like being able to work in the same department or on the same special operations details with your subordinate/spouse, (don't forget an S.P.O. is a supervisor) but it is another thing to pull these kind of shennanigans and only draw attention to yourself. It's almost dowright arrogant and a slap in the face of the other officers in the agency.

If this was Tampa, HCSO, PCSO or Houston PD, this would not even be an issue. One would be assigned to one district or precinct and one to another. And they would NEVER see, hear, supervise, train or influence the other. Big agencies afford you that opportinuty, but not this one. Not a place where I can fart in Z3 and you smell it in Z5. It just is not a luxury we have here. Bigger agnecies provide bigger opportunities. Not any better, just more, and one of them is working with your spouse. Why you would want to wake up next to anyone only to go to work and see them for the next 10 hours is beyond me!! But if that is your thing, I understand.

If our agency, city or union will not address this, then WE the PEOPLE need to handle it ourselves.

lost

I was lost in the 2nd paragraph, what TV show are you watching? Who cares? Get a life.

ahhhh boys now becareful what you say about your next supervisor play nice!!!!

I just have a question real quick..the purpose of the nepotism policy is to ensure that one relative will not supervise another, right? So what happens when both of them rotate out of there specialized positions? Or is the marraige a way to garauntee that at least one of them always stays in a special position...pretty convenient if you ask me...because if they both go back to the road, then one will supervise the other...how will the higher ups deal with that?

I love it when "policy" turns into "convenience."

I Wonder

I wonder why either of them are so "celebrated" by the Admin. They are hateful, nasty, people. The female half was the one of the poorest road officers ever....completely worthless, The other enjoys inflicting pain on others. The Admin just loves them though.

i agree ~ i'll never forget this radio transmission ~

sgt go to channel 2

go ahead

i'm on a x50 and it says " if the driver is the owner than seize the tag "

ok

well the owner's brother is driving and the owner is the passnger can i still seize the tag!!!

This is rediculous and needs to be stopped!

you know everyone talks crap about the other guy and you can't make everyone happy all the time.... folks are so jealous of eachother is crazy.... if everyone would pay as much attention to their police work instead of the gossip and worrying about another getting something they dont have pinellas park would be a much better place..... just do your jobs go home to your family and that should be it.... your going to die young if you keep worrying about all this shit that doesnt matter..... who cares if officer flintstone gets a new car and your senior to him... who cares if officer rubble gets over time and you dont.... in a nutshell and the big scheme of things none of this shit is going to matter in the end....

it appears to me the two these posts are referring to are very happy.... do you really think they worry about you getting a new ticket book and they dont comon now can't we think of a good subject to chat and debate about instead of eachother..... this is crazy.... misery loves company and its easy to see that ya'll are a bunch of miserable *******s... be happy in your personal life and your professional life will follow........

lol

Ok well we have had other people work here who 10-42 and a half was sworn. Some left when they got married. However I agree with the original poster. This is only swerving aroud S.OP. I think that if they do this they should have to give the OT pay to the Senior Officer who got bumped. Also if one of them can't make it they should have to call who ever was bumped and offer it to them before they let there 42 1/2 sub for them. IN MY VIEW SHE IS A RATTLE SNAKE.. He is that dam stingray ready to stab you in the heart when you look away. I hope for the sake of PP that he is not promoted. I would almost rather have J.M. as a sgt. I totally agree with the other poster a larger agency would allow them to work together with no problem. One in south county and one in uncorp clearwater.

Everyone at the PD knows that certain officers and spo's can't get away with basically whatever they want if your "cool" with SGT or LT. I understand that ocurrs at all jobs but I believe things around the PD are getting out of control. I agree with the original writer to this post. Morale is down at the PD and I hope the chief and captain see that. I'm out

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast