background investigation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

background investigation

If someone were Baker Acted will that appear on the police report, or is that privacy protected. It was a suicide attempt 10 years ago on my son. He is looking to be a firefighter and was concerned about the background investigation. They never asked him about anything like this during the app process.

How old was he when it happened? Have there been any other issues since?

Thanks for responding. He was 18 at the time. It happened his 1st semester of college. There haven't been any issues since.

The only advice I can give is to be truthful if they ask. If they don't inquire about it, then he can say I don't see as a problem, it hasn't affected me since.

They can't say he's lying, if they don't ask. A common question asked "is there anything about you that would hinder you on doing your job?" If he says no, and honestly feels this isn't going to affect him, then it's not a lie. I would just to cya make sure he pulls all his records showing he's suitable for the job. I'm not sure about the fire department, but we have to take a psychological exam prior to being a police officer. It's also going to depend on the circumstances behind the baker act. If it wasn't violent and not serious, I don't see a real issue. I hope this helps. Tell him good luck and if you have any other questions, please ask

If he was 18 then it would show up in a background check. I do not know how it would effect him becoming a Fire fighter. I would think that because it happened 10 years ago, it shouldn't affect him.

I would also think that they may ask what he has done to help the issue. Ie: did he get good counseling/therapy and now the issue is resolved? We all run into fireman on our job. If I remember I will ask them.

Thanks again. He already took his psychological and it did not come up. he passed that just fine and now he is just waiting to get a call about his physical. He said that one question on his psych test was True or False, "I have attempted suicide and no one knows about it." He answered false. I knew about it after it happened. i picked him up from the hospital the next afternoon. The kept him for less than 48 hrs. He didn't even speak to a psycholoigist about it. They asked him at the hospital if he really wanted to die and he told them no. They let me take him home. The backgroung investigator went and spoke with his neighbors some time last week.

Thanks again. He already took his psychological and it did not come up. he passed that just fine and now he is just waiting to get a call about his physical. He said that one question on his psych test was True or False, "I have attempted suicide and no one knows about it." He answered false. I knew about it after it happened. i picked him up from the hospital the next afternoon. The kept him for less than 48 hrs. He didn't even speak to a psycholoigist about it. They asked him at the hospital if he really wanted to die and he told them no. They let me take him home. The backgroung investigator went and spoke with his neighbors some time last week.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ
    Sounds good to me, tell him good luck

May I toss me 2 cents in this conversation? My suggestion, and I understand where your coming from, but, my suggestion is to advise him to learn how to say, "Paper or Plastic" No offense, but he attempted suicide because he was in college, what's he going to do if he sees a dead baby with his rear opened up and seamen dripping from it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast