How is the dept? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: How is VBPD

Quote Originally Posted by fed up ofcr
    DO NOT APPLY TO VBPD!!! :shock:
    1) To start you will need to have alternate sources of finance because the area is horribly overpriced for the salary we get. (and for what the area has to offer)
    2) The retirement is sad to say the least, and city council is toying with our medical benefit package. The results will only worsen the benefits. Family packages cost in excess of $400-$600 a month and the city is proposing making single subscribers pay for their coverage as well. The coverage we do have is not worth it (even though it's free for me) if that tells you anything.
    3) The benefits are self funded by the city and managed by a local healthcare network - so when you retire you can't take the coverage with you if you want to move away from the area. Speaking of retirement - we have a 1.8% multiplier so you can't retire and stay in the area, then again you can't leave because you won't have benefits. :x :?:
    4) The population, crime rate, and work load are getting worse while the hiring and retention of officers is staying the same or declining.
    5) The 'good ol boy' system is in effect for any kind of transfers.
    6) You can bank on never having a holiday weekend off during the summer ever again because days off are cancelled to suplement staffing at the oceanfront.
    7) And the oceanfront - look forward to being a bouncer with a badge and gun standing out front of bars babysitting drunks and dodging bullets from the increasing gang population frequenting the resort at night.
    8 ) Enjoy our court system where we have to prepare our own cases (felony and misdemeanor) and prosecute our own misdemeanor and traffic cases. Don't be mislead we can't object, argue case law, or do anything other than testify as a witness while the defendant has a $2,000 per hour lawyer going up against you. You will be in court A LOT only to have a very liberal court system dismiss your case because a lawyer argued against you making you look like you are out arresting people for minding their own business.
    9) The department will throw you under the bus for courtesty complaints stemming from suspects who were resisting or even fighting you. They can call you whatever they want, cuss you like they hate you, come at you swinging but if you cuss at them during the course of the altercation/arrest be prepared to get disciplined.
    10 ) Morale is probably the lowest it's been in years.

Hope this helps your decision! :wink:

What about state police?

leave

To the VBPD officer who wrote the two page narrative about how bad our department is...leave. The time you spent writing your 1000 word essay would have been better served filling out a job application.

Yes please pack your bags and leave. We have a waiting list of people to hire that at least want the job.

Our Department has been full strength since Jan 2008. As people leave to find greener grass they hire the next guy on the list.

With regards to greener grass. I always tell people that the grass may not be greener its just different. We can problems and faults with every department in the country. Overall this isn't a bad place to work and live.

VBPD sucks. Bottom line, you get investigated here more than the criminals do. Pay is lousy, no raises for two years!!! Enough said, I cant wait to get out of this dump.

The VBPD department has a lot to offer as far as experiences. However, there are area's that are lacking. Health care, manditory Holiday's, retirement, unpaid lunch breaks. Silly things that add up. Health care is the biggest issue. Year by year the department and our provider are minimizing their contribution. I went from being a simgle employee, to a single w/ child, to the family plan, and I pay more for healthcare than I do childcare. To boot, we now pay for 10% of an ER visit, plus a $100 co-pay. The tier system for medication is rediculous, and the cost for the "bottom level" medication is still $25. Parts of our department can be great. But the health care is in serious need of revamping.

How is VBPD

I cant believe these folks are talking bad about the dept they work for. If it's that bad then just leave. No one is stopping you. It's not like the military where you have an obligation for a certain number of years. Just quit and go somewhere else where you will find something wrong with them as well. You see, it don't make any difference where you are, the complainers will always be complaining about something. Yes the grass is always greener on the other side... until you get there. I have found over the years that the ones who are the complainers are normally the ones that are always in trouble for something. Oh its not always us, but sometimes it can be and we just think that we are all that and no one can have an opinion thats right except us.

benefits

I see you had to transfer to the "You gotta be rich to afford it" family plan recently. However the new updates to the 2009 benefits plan make it even worse for your former single plan. Single subscribers will now pay a $25 monthly fee for their healthcare benefits. The city also passed a change in benefits that will require the employee to pay a $100 deductible per visit for a maximum $1500 a year out of pocket per employee. Factor that in with no pay increases and a high cost of living. All of those "Waiting in line" guys will have to have a second job to afford to live here and have healthcare for their families....And won't be waiting long...

Re: leave

Quote Originally Posted by beachpd
    To the VBPD officer who wrote the two page narrative about how bad our department is...leave. The time you spent writing your 1000 word essay would have been better served filling out a job application.
    Better spent on applications - yes. Good to give out the facts about why the applications are being filled out, and why retention is the lowest in the nation for departments our size - Even better....

and yes i chose my own name. vbpd is what you make of it. if you want to sit around whining, you are going to be a miserable person. me? i chose to come to work every day, having the most fun of my life. i didnt take on this carreer to get rich, i do not intend to leave, nor complain. if all youi want to do is find fault, then you are an unhappy person. knock yourself out, scram, leave adios. sure pay and benifits could be better, but isnt that an argument in any job? best advice i can give is enjoy life, and have a good time doing your job. and remeber, no one forced you to take the entrance test....smile

The one's complaining aren't the ones who are always in trouble. Maybe they just have familes and can't afford to buy food for them or other necessaties in life because our pay does suck. Better yet, they are never home to spend time with their familes because we don't get paid nearly enough. So instead of spending time with our families we have to work 20 hours extra a week to make a means. Meanwhile the admin doesn't give a crap about us as they are making 80-130 thousand a year. All you guys saying how great it is are probably brand new and have no clue. Look at your retirement if you were to stay here 25 plus years. You wont make crap. It's ashame in this job if you stay and survive 25 years you won't get a decent retirement. It pays to get hurt and leave. What a joke, just like out dept and our depts so called leaders!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast