Hernando County Real Estate... too good to be true?

Hernando County Real Estate... too good to be true?

We are possibly looking to relocate to Hernando County. We are currently south of you (several counties) where the cost of real estate is outrageous and looking to move somewhere where we can actually "upgrade" instead of getting stuck buying another 3 bed, 2 bath small house.

I looked on realtor.com in Spring Hill area and saw NEWER houses - and A LOT of them... even a ton of 4 bedroom homes!!!-------- in the 175k-225k range. I was shocked. I couldn't even DREAM of getting a 4 bedroom home down here for less than 320k!

So I guess my question is - is there a catch? Why are so many homes for sale and at decent prices? How are your property insurance rates? Can you be insured? What are the rates like????? I just wonder if this is too good to be true....

Please, any info would be appreciated.

Also if any of you can point us in the direction of good areas to look at? We wouldn't even know where to start!

Thanks in advance! I have another question but I'll put that in a different post. Sorry this is long, I tend to go on and on like most women do, LOL.

Come on, SOMEONE'S gotta have some info! Please, any info on the real estate and/or homeowner's insurance up there would be greatly appreciated!!!

Yes what you read is correct for the most part. The housing market has decreased in price in the last few years.

The average tax bill for a house in the $100k range with Homestead is about $1300 per year. On average the insurance for the same house will run around $2000-2500 per year.

Hernando County schools are very bad. They rank 66 out of 68 counties in Florida. Find a good private school.