Great Job - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great Job

how system work

Oh, I didn't catch that part. I would assume that a Judge gave California notice to come get him and I guess California wouldn't and by order of the court the jail had to let him go. I think its called extradication.

response

Below is a sentence copied from an article in the Johnson City Press on 02-27-07.

According to WCSO investigators, Phillips was out on parole from an armed robbery conviction out of Sacramento, Calif., when he was picked up here for violating the terms of his parole. Washington County authorities were forced to release Phillips from jail on Feb. 20, though, after Sacramento police “failed to respond” by that date.

The little part "failed to respond" is what lots of people are talking about around town. I am sure someone is going to need to clarify that in the future probably in civil court. A sharp attorney will be digging into the pockets of either Sacramento or Washington County if this turns out to be true.

Some people better start paying better attention to details. People are not as willing to blindly accept things, like they used to, without asking questions and expecting intelligent responses.

Re: how system work

It's common for a jurisdiction to put a limit on how far the are willing to travel to extridite someone, depending on the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Just a guess
    Oh, I didn't catch that part. I would assume that a Judge gave California notice to come get him and I guess California wouldn't and by order of the court the jail had to let him go. I think its called extradication.

maybe just poor wording

Maybe it is just a play on words but "failed to respond" indicates something like.

The California department did not answer a teletype message or phone call.

OR

They said they were coming but never showed up.

The fact is that "failed to respond" was a quote given to a reporter. By who? Not sure. If the reporter was paying attention then there should have been a follow up question like "what does failed to respond" mean? Now if the California department did properly respond (ie. by saying we dont go that far to extradite) and the wording in the newspaper is just lousy, then some bright lawyer will most likely go after them. Wouldnt you if someone in your family was murdered by a felon who should have been in jail?

This brings me back to what was said earlier. Sometimes no matter what is said to the news they still figure out how to mess it up. That is why it is important to not give the news media information in "police slang" but be very clear in plain english. Writing it down for the news helps too. People are obviously paying attention and dont accept just anything they get told anymore.

I still think our people did a great job catching these murderers though. I think we can all agree on that.

press people

True. If California didn't want him and Tennessee had no charges. Then Washington County had no choice but to let him go. But the jail don't release people w/o a Judge saying so. So, a judge was the one that gave the order to release by a certain date if the responsing agency doesn't make contact. I agree, the new people didn't use correct wording. As for the officer's, Great Job. Good Eye. Not many people could or would be able to look for a vehicle used in a crime. Great Job officers. Keep up the good work and don't let a few of these statements on here get to you all. people will forever talk behind peoples back. keep your head up and spirits high.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12