PRB - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PRB

WOW, I live and work for an agency close by and was thinking about moving to Collier County and working for your agency, but after reading all this crap, I think I will stay where I'm at. The way most of you officers sound, the agency needs PRB, christ you guys sound like you deserve a break on everything and your going to get it, no matter what it takes. I'm an older officer, so I guess that is why I agree with classified, old school morales and integrity, not the reason you guys got into this career. Keep up your crap, because sooner or later you will get yours. Now go ahead and run your mouth about my response, it doesn't bother me, because I will still have a job long after your gone.

I forgot one other thing. To classified, I sure wish there were more of you guys out here, then the only thing that PRB would have to decide on is what kind of latte they want at dunkin doughnuts, and would leave the real cops to do their jobs and not have to worry about who's got their backs.

Brother, I am sorry you feel that way, and if you really were thinking about giving CCSO a look, I'd like you to reconsider.
    Yes, most of us are proud of the agency and the job we do, but I don't think that we believe we deserve a break on anything. What you are reading here has to be put into some perspective in light of some the unfortunate events of recent years, and the resulting administrative response. The vast overwhelming majority of the deputies have integrity, do their jobs honestly and fairly, and ARE their brother's keeper, watching out for one another and stepping in to prevent thier fellow deputy from making errors in judgement. But sometimes we are not there for each other, or , worse, someone does go out of their way to plant a knife in someones back for personal reasons. These things do happen, and at those times the agency, in the form of PRB, is forced to take action when a violation occurs. None of us like it, because it makes us all look bad, sometimes costs someone thier job (or worse) , and sometimes we DO NOT agree with the way the discipline was meted out, especially if we knew the person and always saw them positively.
    I have never seen any agency where the internal affairs people were not considered to be outsiders , and it is no different here than anywhere else. As with any agency of this size, there will be some bad behavior by the members, with differing levels of punishment, depending upon the agency...

We are not perfect, but as a whole , we ARE disciplined, honest professionals who actually care about getting the job done, keeping people safe, and putting the bad guys in jail . If those ideals are anything like the ones you hold, we would love to have you, you would be in like company.

Thank you Oldschool for putting my thoughts down so well. I'm somewhat embarrassed for us if reading some of the posts here has caused Big Dog to reconsider a switch to our agency. This is a fantastic place to work ! Every agency has it's hickups but I think ours by far is way down on the list. You'll only need to read the daily news letters to the editor to see what most people in our community complain about. Simple petty stuff which reflects that overall their quality of life is pretty darn good. They aren't complaining about murders, burglaries,theft or assaults. They whine about bad drivers and political issues. We must be doing a decent job for them to worry about such things. I don't know who Oldschool is, I don't know who any of the other posters are either but I can say that we do think we have the best agency to work for. Give us a second look brother.

FACTS

I have been with this agency a long time and have had several internals, both as a subject and as a witness. I have never been treated bad at a interview or been punished for an act that I was not responsible for. I am nervous at every PRB case, it is natural. What concerns me is what seems to be the inconsistancy in punishment. I also think that the sheriff is less tolerant of his people doing things that are embarrassing to him, election year is coming!

Re: PRB

Quote Originally Posted by classified
    Its not the fact that people are so worried about PRB because they, the individual members are corrupt. It's because it seems that in the last couple of years, PRB has gone completely crazy with attacks on its agency members "just because they can", not because its necessary. After a couple years of the members of the agency knowing that PRB is "out to get anyone they can", for "anything", it's like the members spend more time worrying about PRB than real bad guys. Maybe that's all they are capable of, who knows.

This is a trickle down effect and comes from the hi-archy is PRB and other parts of the agency. People who dont understand or respect the job that patrol officers do. Men who have never stepped out of a patrol car to face sure injury or death or insult. They've been "GIVEN" the power to control others without earning it. That type of Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. That rule of thumb has been around hundreds of years and is still true. To solve the problem the upper echelon MUST be in step with, understand how patrol or lower echelon think, then the lower echelon can be controlled, designed and monitored without having to behead them. These are not new rules based on new attitudes, they are the basis of human nature.

On the other hand if this current trend is allowed to continue, it will run rampant in the agency and at some point, and you know its happening now, the agency will turn inward against itself, cutting at itself from within. Soon no one will trust anyone, officers will move a little slower to back each other up, and THEN when someone is really involved in corruption, fellow officers will not put a stop to it because they fear that if PRB thinks you knew about, you must be a part of it.

I spent a lot of years in law enforcement and we did not attack each other the way it is shown of this forum. You gentlemen should be supporting each other and demand that your superiors know your job better than you do. How can an apprentice learn from someone above them who knows nothing about their job. The superior doesnt know when you're scared, angry or just venting and doesnt know when you're doing a good job or a bad job.

Training is great. Its a classroom, but we all know that the best classroom that instills permanent training in an officer, comes from the street or "on the job". It's memories are much more impressive and permanent than someone from somewhere else preaching to you. Sorry for preaching but it effects us old retiree's when we see our followers chewing each other up like this. We still believe in the "do the right thing" regardless who's doing it. Sure some of the rules have changed, but the "street" rules and "human nature" rules are the same.

So when you hear someone complaining about PRB, understand where they are coming from. That person is more than likely not corrupt or doing something that they are afraid of getting caught for, its the perception of not being understood by those judging them. It's disturbing. Be a team, back each other when backing the right thing to do. Police amonst yourselves to insure your buddy is going the correct path and then you wont have to worry about PRB. If there's nothing for them to do, their numbers will decrease. It's government and it works that way. Be careful out there and protect your buddys flesh like your own.
    I agree 100% time for a a change in procedures.

Troll2-
    I am curious as to what procedures you think need changing and how you would do it.

In my 20+ years, I have been a witness and subject in PRB many times and am friends with past and present prb investigators. PRB is a necessary evil. I am sure that if you asked any of them that they would tell you that they wished their job was not necessary.

Unfortuately, we cannot control the public submitting complaints and we cannot control the statutory requirment for the complaints to be investigated.

Also, as far as the infighting on this site, this I don't feel this is the norm of the agency. The negative posters on this forum amout to less than one percent of our agency.

porky and the bone dah

The guy who cut in line is an arrogant idiot.

PRB is mostly fair.

The most significant problem with the PRB process is they take way too long in conducting simple investigations, and they are too quick to polygraph people. They should understand that when a person's career hangs in the balance, they should investigate expediently but comprehensively.

The polygraph should be reserved for cases involving potential corruption. To often it is used as the investigative tool of investigators who should instead be conducting a thorough and timely investigation.

prb is hankering for a hunk of cheese.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast