8s, 10s or 12s for SSO patrol? - Page 2

Poll: Which shift do you want? (SSO patrol only)

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

:D

Cons:
    1) child care issues
    2) increases OT
    3) increases use of sick time (mostly on the nightshift)
    4) productivity goes down (efficiency too)
    5) it costs more (this is usually a big surprise to admin)
    6) overlap issues
    7) training issues (harder to implement training cycles)
    8) when people call in sick, then OT goes way up on 12s

Pros:
    1) if you go from 8s to 12s, then it gives you 3-day weekends
    2) OT is automatically built into it (this could also be a con)
    3) admin only has to worry about filling 2 shifts (not 3 shifts)

All the studies I've seen are from agencies that went from 8s to 12s ----- I haven't seen any studies on agencies that have gone from 10s to 12s.

Enough

Enough of this topic. If its not broke dont fix. So why bring it up. Youre asking for problems. Geez people leave it alone

i quit im going to work some 12s at VPD SPD OR NPPD

Quote Originally Posted by ya
    i quit im going to work some 12s at VPD SPD OR NPPD
    How many former VPD officers do we have with us in field training, as a result of them going to 12s???? (and other issues)

I am grateful for 10 hour shifts. I'd rather go back to 8 hour shifts, but I know that everybody loves the 10 hour schedule -- and nobody wants 12s because it destroys family life (and other personal issues).

My .02

I've been on 12's for roughly 13yrs. There are pros and cons, but it really is good. Here's how we work it in Manatee Co.
    one week we only work Wed and Thur, the next we work Mon, Tue, Fri, Sat, and Sun. Every other week you get 3 day weekend. We work 84hrs per pay period, and get 2 hrs for vehicle maint, or other dept related stuff.
    86hrs per pay period.
    If you need time off, take it on your short week@ take off on wed and thur, then you get 5days off.
    Our sick time does not get used up, and we do not lose people due to the 12 hr shifts. I've worked 8 and 10 hr shifts, and the 12's actually workout better than you might think. Dayshift is 0600-1800,, afternoon is 1500-0300, and evenings are 1900-0700. overlap on all shifts, this helps relieve the off-going shifts from getting too many late calls when they should be going 10-87.
    If you have questions, flag down or call any MSO deputy, I'm sure you won't find too many that don't like the 12's.

Quote Originally Posted by MSO
    I've been on 12's for roughly 13yrs. Every other week you get 3 day weekend.
    We get 3 days weekends just about every week on 10 hour shifts. If we go to 12s, then we only get a 3 day weekend every other week? :x

Been there done that

I work ed 8,10, and 12 at my old department. 12 hours sukkked. Sure you have a three day weekend every other wknd but you sleep the entire day because you are dead. Sorry sick time went up. I had no kids at that time so I could not imagine it now. There was no good in 12 hours. 10hours rocks, Thats got to be a rookie wanting to work the entire freaking day away. Sorry folks I dont live for this job anymore., I am past those days. I enjoy my time off. Stay away from this 12 hour thing. Its almost the dumbest thing Ive herd in a while.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12