PDA

View Full Version : Letting go of good men

01-25-2007, 01:24 AM
At the risk of being editted or corrected by the PRB moderators that seem to loom over this site. I want to say what a sad day it is for the CCSO. Two of District 2's best deputies were fired. Regardless of the what they were accused of, they were the top producers in the agency. Having worked with both of them and being trained by both of them at one point or another, I can easily say that a mistake was made. Perhaps PRB should have retrained or recommended an alternative training for them. To have let them go was a mistake. The CCSO is one of the best agencies around. It is unfortunate that the Sheriff is advised by people whom may not be suited to judge others on their job performance. It is only my opinion, but I think if you are going to investigate other LEO's you should at least push a green and white for more than a couple of years and actually make real arrests.

P.S. Paradise there is no need for you to respond to this message.

01-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Well I am not Paradise and I am going to weigh in on this subject. Since it has been posted for almost 48 hours and no one has responded, it only leaves me to believe that the majority of readers probably feel the same as I.

First off, one of the two that were fired was NOT the best in District 2. That honor, in my opinion, would belong to A.O. and A.F., hands down!! To even place Sergio in that category is a discredit to them and the other fine deputies of D2.

Sergio had it coming and it was long overdue. He ran his mouth in the jail and on the road. He consistently pushed the rules and regs to their limits and dragged others in with him. No one is surprised of his situation, only saddened that he brought another down with him. There is more to being a good deputy than making a bunch of arrests, running your gator and pissing folks off. If you want to call what Sergio did “a mistake”, then he has been making mistakes since he has been here. His reputation precedes him and he was warned prior about his actions on the road.

This is an honorable profession, an excellent agency, a great district made up of very professional deputies. It’s not hard to do your job, play by the rules, act in a moral manner, collect a paycheck and go home.

Finally, let me assure you that I AM NOT A PRB MODERATOR!! I am a road deputy. Always have been and always will be. Just because the majority of cops in this agency do not support the lack of judgment, moral character or solid work ethics, does not mean that we are a part of staff or PRB. That is old school mentality and you need to change with the times. I am tired of being embarrassed in the media by stupid crap like Sergio, Cunningham and Knott. I pick my friends more carefully… so should you!

Sorry for my tone but comments like yours supporting that kind of behavior worry me.

Paradise, feel free to respond to my post!

01-27-2007, 02:11 AM
I can see how you could feel the way you do about Sergio. I am certain that you have never worked with him since you left the jail. I can assure you that what you had heard and never saw was blown out of proportion. I am positive that A.O. would back me up on that. If A.O. wanted something done he always sent Sergio and got the results that he was looking for. in 2004 Sergio was deputy of the year. I watched him deal with citizens of D2 for 3 years. He arrested those who needed to be and help those in need. He was often called upon to translate for all districts. The problem with Sergio is his heavy handed rep followed him out of jail and most people won't let him forget that. As for people not responding. Let's face it, most people don't really say what they really want to say on here. I see the former 2208 Steve DePalma has been about the only person to ever put his name on a posting. As for the other person fired with Sergio, he was an excellent deputy and gave a lot to this agency. A real stand up guy. So much so that he took a hit for his friend and lost his job for what he believed was right. Don't ever put him with Cunningham and Knott. He was a amongst the best.

01-27-2007, 08:42 AM
No need for me to respond. I think you both have stated your views in a professional manner. I can see and respect each perspective equally.

Maybe others will learn from the recent firings and it will remind all to think about your actions (Me included). What seems ok at the momement may not be tomorrow.

Thanks for having the courage to talk about this and sharing your opinions.

01-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Hey, My name in print! Well it has been a few months since I drove a green and white. I can say that I truly miss all of you. I would like to share my view on Roger and Sergio. both are great in their own ways. Roger was a leader. He would be the first to recruit people for the Warriors. He would always lend his talents to those in need of direction. I believe that he was a target for PRB but that is my OPINION. Sergio has his good points as well. Sergio always got the job done. He loved being in the uniform and doing the job. I think that at the end of his career he became disheartened. I think that he will be better off out of law enforcement. Regardless of how others viewed him, I will always be thankful for the nights he was there when I needed him. As for Justwondering's comments, lets just keep our comments civil. All in all we are brothers behind the BLUE LINE.

01-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Gentlemen, I appreciate and respect all sides of what you are presenting; however, the case is under appeal and I respectfully request that discussion of the matter ends until final resolution.

I will always respect you all, and support the mission of the CCSO and Sheriff Hunter. No matter the final resolution, I am a better person for having worked with you all and consider you all heroes.

Roger R. Trudel

02-14-2007, 05:50 PM
A few weeks back, I posted my opinion about this situation without all the facts. I made the statement that two people were a target for PRB. This is a statement that I regret making. My dealings with PRB have always been as a witness. Before making any statement I should have at the least known all facts. I still believe that Roger was a great Deputy with a lot of knowlege.

I would like to apologize to anyone who was hurt by my statements. These blogs are for officer opinions and those opinions should at the least be based on facts which I did not have at the time of my posting.

Formally 2208

02-14-2007, 08:47 PM
I appreciate the thoughts Steve; however, hold off on the "was a great deputy" idea. I was taught by the very best the CCSO has to offer in the ways of "mastering my craft", and the great training with which they mentored me will offer opportunities abound should they be necessary. The CCSO is absolutely the best training agency in the South, and I have reaped the benefits.

My appeal has been submitted and I appreciate the silence on the matter.

I still consider every one of you heroes, and appreciate the risks you take for people you may never know or appreciate you.

Monsters and **** roaches thrive in the dark - be the light!

Cheers,

Roger R. Trudel

Eagle
02-21-2007, 10:11 PM
2208 you need to wait for the facts to come out before making any statements that you have no clue about...

02-21-2007, 11:07 PM
The beagle has landed

02-25-2007, 04:03 AM
Eagle, I would love to have a debate with you about this but, I don't want to waste my time with someone who had to write in italics.

Eagle
02-25-2007, 10:13 PM
If that is your best answer, then it shows the amount of knowledge you have on the subject, which is little to none.

Eagle
02-25-2007, 10:17 PM
As for a debate it would be useless, you have already made up your mind that the administration is wrong and everyone else is right...

02-25-2007, 10:50 PM
When two people agree on everything, one of them is frequently not thinking. Beware of "groupthink" - look what it did to Germany and the world not so long ago...

In any "debate" please look deeper than the policy manual...your underpinnings should come from the Bible, the Constitution and United States and World History.

02-28-2007, 03:14 AM
Eagle,
You already know who I am so you have me at an advantage. I made a statement that I shouldn't have and apologized for it. It would seem to me that you are only trying to pick a fight with me. I'll make you a deal. I will be in in Collier you for a trial in May. If you want to meet me in front of the court house and do this face to face let me know. I'll be happy to finish this in Collier. You obviously are someone who has an axe to grind with me but are afraid to tell me who you are. I can wait.
By the way, the fact that you use the name Eagle and talk trash discredits everything the eagle stands for.

02-28-2007, 03:27 AM
Eagle,

Let me retract my last post. I am not here to argue with small minded people. If you read my posting, you would have seen that I was just stating that one of them was outstanding in what he did. I will say once again, I made that statement before I knew the facts because I was sorry to see them lose their jobs. I also stated that I shouldn't have made the statement before knowing the facts. If you want to argue with someone stand in the mirror and argue with yourself. I won't let you discredit me and what I did in Collier.

If you want to know how I feel about the administration, go upstairs and ask the Chief in charge of PRB. I have always supported the Sheriff and his Chiefs. If you want to accuse me of something call me, meet me or email me direct, don't try to make me look like shit on here. It won't work.

Eagle
02-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Steve,
First I do now of you, but it has nothing to do with the statements posted and I have no axe to grind. As for meeting in front of the courthouse, sounds more like fighting it out at high noon or something, what are you silly or what, :roll: ?
Take a pill relax, and just listen, all I was trying to say is wait till all the facts come out before you make any statements on who you believe are good deputy's, and see what they really did....
Peace brother...

02-28-2007, 07:08 PM
I don’t believe the outcome of this investigation will have any barring on the fact Sergio and Roger are excellent officers. The outcome may very well prove they acted in distaste to our agency. I believe Steve’s point is clear. It is a shame to see two great cop’s “let go.” On the other hand, knowing Steve, he would understand and back the administrations decision to let them go if it warrants.

02-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Just read the file and the appeal and you decide....

02-28-2007, 11:56 PM
Just read the file and the appeal and you decide....Where can we read this? Did they provide a copy at the D-2 sub? I do want some rumors cleared up but don't want to go read it in PRB. Don't have the time or patience to find a parking space nearby anyway.

03-01-2007, 12:52 AM
There will be no copy available until the discipline & appeals committee reviews the appeal and makes a recommendation to the Sheriff (as per policy). It is under appeal so I appreciate the muted discussion of the matter. No matter the ultimate decision any opinions formed by agency members should be based on a complete reading of the file and subsequent appeal.

Roger R. Trudel - I guess it's too late to come up with a cool screen name?

03-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Dateline Naples, May 2007. location: swingset.
"In this corner, hailing from ct-fla-vt, weighing in at 125 pounds, topping the recess yardstick at 3 feet....it's Steve 'Sonic' DePalma........DePalma"
"In that corner,wearing a mask, it's Eagle........Eagle."

03-02-2007, 05:15 AM
Eagle,
As I write this I am smiling from ear to ear from reading this blog. No duel, just a chat. I feel passionate about the CCSO and hate when things go wrong for them. 06' was a bad year.
What I do love about the CCSO is that men and women. Especially those who contribute here. I love that there is passion amongst members and that they can agree to disagree.
I was faced with coming back this month. I weighted it all out and was ready to move back. While sitting at the dinner table with all 6 girls (includes wife) my 10 year old cried and stated that since August she has been the happiest she has been since I left the the Army. She loved having me around for weekends and school events. (I have never been to one until Sept this year). My oldest looked at me and told me that she starts high school and wanted me to be around for her sport events and big nights. It was a hard decision. I was faced with making the ultimate career decision of my life. Regardless of what you read or hear, CCSO is the best place in America to be a COP. I learned so much from those around me. I was given opportunities that no one else ever received. I trained with SWAT as a C/O. I progressed to an operator and completed SWAT school, I made it to the road in less than two years. On the other hand I have children that because of my position in the military I didn't get to watch grow up. These were my choices and I made them, I make no excuses for making them. I have that chance now to be near them and share in their lives. I have chosen to stay in New England and for the first time be a real father. I will continue to be a COP, but it will never be close to what I had in the CCSO. I will always long for the thrill of the strong side of the week on patrol. I miss chases and DUI's. BUT! I will settle for moose on the highway and Clara getting her hand stuck in a maple tree while make syrup, just to see my girls grow up.
Be happy you work where you work. Be happy you have a Sheriff who will listen if you talk to him face to face. He may not agree but he will listen. Most of all be glad that you have so many to learn from. There are so many heroes right where you are. I miss them all. This is my last blog on Collier Sites. Sorry it was so long and kind of a grand stand but time to move on. God Bless you all and stay safe.

PS. I will still read but not contribute

03-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Congrats Steve for having the courage to put your family first and being mature enough to know that it needed to be done!

You are not alone. Often we put our jobs before our family. Not because we do not care about them but because of the passion for what we do. It is easy though to forget about the basics of life and realize that family MUST come first.

When you leave any job, your peers will always be surprised at first for your decision to go but will quickly focus on who will replace you. Your family will never do this! If you move on from them or are never there for them, there is a void in their lives that can never be replaced and the vacancy has long term affects on you and them, hence, family first!

Savor every moment Steve because the memories you are making now with your girls are the ones that mean the most!!

You are the Hero...

03-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Paradise is a female...that explains everything.

03-02-2007, 06:07 PM
No... A middle aged man who has learned from his mistakes!

03-03-2007, 02:45 PM
mistakes should be punished according to policy

04-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Hey, My name in print! Well it has been a few months since I drove a green and white. I can say that I truly miss all of you. I would like to share my view on Roger and Sergio. both are great in their own ways. Roger was a leader. He would be the first to recruit people for the Warriors. He would always lend his talents to those in need of direction. I believe that he was a target for PRB but that is my OPINION. Sergio has his good points as well. Sergio always got the job done. He loved being in the uniform and doing the job. I think that at the end of his career he became disheartened. I think that he will be better off out of law enforcement. Regardless of how others viewed him, I will always be thankful for the nights he was there when I needed him. As for Justwondering's comments, lets just keep our comments civil. All in all we are brothers behind the BLUE LINE.THANKS STEVE, I AGREE!

04-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Does anyone have any insight as to where the outcome of this is? I am waiting to hear.

04-13-2007, 09:51 PM
lady justice is blind...and befuddled at times...

04-13-2007, 10:02 PM
The jails are full of innocent people who say the same thing.

04-13-2007, 10:59 PM
never heard an inmate say befuddled

04-13-2007, 11:59 PM
It was spoken through his lawyer :lol:

04-18-2007, 07:35 PM
lady justice is blind...and befuddled at times...
You must not have worked here very long. You left out: "beat down and tossed in the corner with a knife in the back." I'm thinking of having a steel trauma plate installed in the back of my vest. Wonder if the agency would pay for it? Nah, guess not. It would make it too hard to slide it into your spine, not that they know what it's like to have one. [/b]

04-18-2007, 10:26 PM
a little truth in every joke my friend