PDA

View Full Version : Applicant with a few questions.....

01-23-2007, 08:00 PM
As mentioned in the title, I am a new applicant with a few questions.

For the most part, it is my understanding that the S.O. is probably one of the best agencies to work for in the county. What do you guy's think?

What is the FTO program like? I have a few friends that were hired by St. Pete P.D. and they have had a rough time with field training.

Thanks in advance.

01-25-2007, 12:18 AM
This agency is probably the best agency to work for in the county and probably one of the best in the region. I'm not saying the other departments in the county don't have good people, but I think the administations aren't very good to the troops.

As for FTO. Its designed to help you through the phases rather than work against you like some of the other local places.

Good Luck!

01-25-2007, 02:33 AM
While I agree this is probably one of the best agencies in this region, don't think you will escape the things that make law enforcement what it is. You will have issues wherever you go. The thing is to pick an agency you are comfortable with and have the ability to grow and move around. This was the spot for me and I dont regret my decision. I once heard a very interesting thought that I want to share with you "Don't love your agency because it CAN'T love you back". In the end, law enforcement is what it is wherever you go. You can't say that the administration of another agency isn't very good to its troops when the one you work for isn't either. Unfortunately, many good deputies have been hung out to dry by this agency and its administration. FTO is not supposed to be easy either. It is a method to train, and weed out new troops. Regardless of what anyone tells you, that is the way it is. If you doubt me, look at how many people start FTO and how many finish. If you want to get through FTO, just don't quit. If you work hard and do everything you are supposed to do when you are to do it, you will get through. It is not rocket science. If you don't make it, it was probably for a good reason and the best thing in the end. Just have faith in yourself and don't let anyone shake your confidence.

01-25-2007, 02:52 AM
Bypass Ulmerton Road and go down to Highland and East Bay. There you will find one of the most professional police agencies in the county....Largo PD. The department is well known for its highly educated staff, young assertive officers who are true professionals, and an administration that stands by their officers through thick and thin. Best equipment, great training, and great upward mobility.......hands down, LPD!

01-25-2007, 03:37 PM
LPD, best equipment? Please, we have the latest and best technology here at PCSO and have for many years. We have had laptops in our cruisers for at least 5 years now. The cruisers that we have also been able to take home for many years. LPD is just now going to laptops and take home cars. We have the best hand guns, tasers, long guns and cars. Ok, maybe not the cars. But everything else far succeeds LPD.

As for best training, I highly doubt that. PCSO definately has some of the best training in the nation, some of which is used nationwide. When it comes to officer safety we are second to none.

As for upward mobility, you may be right. Although, moving up here is not that hard if you are in the right "click".

So if you want to work for the best agency in Pinellas County , come to the sheriff's office. If you want just a "so so" agency than go to LPD. But whatever you choose, do not go to SPPD.

01-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the information guys! It sounds like the Sheriff's Office, for the most part, is a pretty decent place to work.

FTO is not supposed to be easy either. It is a method to train, and weed out new troops. Regardless of what anyone tells you, that is the way it is. If you doubt me, look at how many people start FTO and how many finish.

Just curious, how many people usually wash out of FTO?[/b]

01-26-2007, 12:05 AM
We have the best hand guns, tasers, long guns and cars. Ok, maybe not the cars. But everything else far succeeds LPD.

We have Touch Screen computers, Sig Sauer P226 handgun and X26 Tasers and soon enough AR-15's for Patrol? You guys have a great agency, Im just stating the facts for Mr. SRO.

Stay Safe!

01-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Ok, the touch screen is alright. We have glock 21's, m26 taser and .223 for patrol. Not saying your equipment is garbage, but I believe we have better toys than you guys do.

01-27-2007, 01:48 AM
I work for PCSO and I have to agree with the LPD officer this time. The Sig is a better PDW (Glock equals 'not good'), the Tasers are practically identical, and .223 is just a caliber. The AR-15 fires a .223 (also known as a 5.56mm). I can't think of an agency in the state that has authorized the use of caliber ammunition in a long gun larger than .223 unless it is a sniping weapon. The touch screen sounds nice too.

01-27-2007, 01:54 AM
Just a side note in addition to my last post: in the world of rifles (long guns), a .223 is a baby round. It is just about the smallest caliber a rifle round can be, and still be effective in combat (using the term "combat" loosely to define what aggressive enounters officers in the civilian world have). The reason stated above is just one of many to identify why the military uses 7.62 and above. .223's are still used because they are cheap, but military units with good funding and good equipmetn typically carry larger ammunition.

01-29-2007, 07:59 PM
After reading the previous posts I can't believe you guys have based your decisions on equipment! What about pay, benefits, retiremnet, etc. The ones responding to this applicants inquiry must be new, becuse you guys are comparing guns and tasers like that's taken into cinsideration. Here's my advice, from someone who's been a cop for 26 years up north and retired. Base your decision on what would best benefit your long term goals while providing support for your family....not who has the bigger gun or better taser! Don't get me wrong it is nice to be supplied with the very best to perform this very dangerous job, but it should not be the deciding factor. I have been helping my son determine the best agency around wieghing in those options, and my advice is TPD. I came from a municipality so I'm partial to those. SHeriff's Office seem too political and are not normally not as high paid as cities. No doubt, based on my research, The Tampa Police Dept is the best deal around here. Good Luck and be safe!!

02-14-2007, 12:23 AM
Largo PD..BS!! Just because you have a degree does not make you a good cop. I have known many police officers with 4 yr degrees that can figure out how to write their names!! Common sense and street smarts makes a better cop than a 4 yr degree hanging on the wall!!

Bypass Ulmerton Road and go down to Highland and East Bay. There you will find one of the most professional police agencies in the county....Largo PD. The department is well known for its highly educated staff, young assertive officers who are true professionals, and an administration that stands by their officers through thick and thin. Best equipment, great training, and great upward mobility.......hands down, LPD!

02-14-2007, 12:26 AM
While I agree this is probably one of the best agencies in this region, don't think you will escape the things that make law enforcement what it is. You will have issues wherever you go. The thing is to pick an agency you are comfortable with and have the ability to grow and move around. This was the spot for me and I dont regret my decision. I once heard a very interesting thought that I want to share with you "Don't love your agency because it CAN'T love you back". In the end, law enforcement is what it is wherever you go. You can't say that the administration of another agency isn't very good to its troops when the one you work for isn't either. Unfortunately, many good deputies have been hung out to dry by this agency and its administration. FTO is not supposed to be easy either. It is a method to train, and weed out new troops. Regardless of what anyone tells you, that is the way it is. If you doubt me, look at how many people start FTO and how many finish. If you want to get through FTO, just don't quit. If you work hard and do everything you are supposed to do when you are to do it, you will get through. It is not rocket science. If you don't make it, it was probably for a good reason and the best thing in the end. Just have faith in yourself and don't let anyone shake your confidence.

Yea it is a decent place to work...I'll save you some time..if you have a felon in the family even though you don't associate with him..don't bother applying. they discriminate and won't hire you.

02-18-2007, 05:35 PM
"Just a side note in addition to my last post: in the world of rifles (long guns), a .223 is a baby round. It is just about the smallest caliber a rifle round can be, and still be effective in combat (using the term "combat" loosely to define what aggressive enounters officers in the civilian world have). The reason stated above is just one of many to identify why the military uses 7.62 and above. .223's are still used because they are cheap, but military units with good funding and good equipmetn typically carry larger ammunition.'

What branch of the military were you in and what was your MOS? If you can't answer either than STFU!! College puke.

02-18-2007, 07:27 PM
To guest, youre a moron. Ill put a .223 through your eye at a thousand yards and you can tell mw how puny it is.