PDA

View Full Version : Issues with the Rookies

01-22-2007, 05:00 AM
This is always a good subject, but there are so damn many of you now. I'm sure 10-69er or some other 1/2 breed will chime in about what dinosaurs can do, but here it is anyway.

#1 Don't think that you can't do it unless you say it on the radio. Be 10-51, go 10-18, be 10-97 WITHOUT BROADCASTING ALL THE DAM TIME!! If its a hot in progress call just go, just get there, just do something other than blab your 10-51 10-18 from 2 squads away. No one cares youre on the way, just that you get there.

#2 Don't think that you can't handle a call or bad guy yourself. Now I'm not saying go be John Wayne. All I'm saying is don't sell yourself short. You do not need a 10-94 on every call or with every bad guy. It would be nice in a perfect world, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Most of the time you are your own problem solver, be by words or action. Dont be a hero, but dont be afraid to do your job without someone with you 24/7. Hope that came out right, I doubt it but oh well.

#3 Jesus, don't be afraid to write out a damn arrest affidavit without checking your PC outline. Look, you were smart enough to graduate the academy. You were smart enough to make the arrest without having the law book in your hand, right? Just fill the elements of the crime that you just made an arrest for in the big blank part of the affidavit. Yes some crimes are picky, but battery??? Disorderly??? Resisting??? Come on, don't sell yourself short.

#4 DO NOT let people disrespect that uniform. You are doing a diservice to yourself and every other cop in the land. Now I know the almighty 10-69er prick will chime in here with his conspiracy theory about "articulation." Screw that, all I'm saying is he who runs his mouth and challenges the Deputy should be met with zero discretion. I've seen people who laughed at a Deputy's sig 4 in a certain area loaded for possessing a suspended DL. Now thats legal, creative and made a point.

#5 I steal from a former trainer, be courteous to everyone you meet and have a plan to kill them. I love that. You aint gonna pick the where, when or how. But some day you may have kill someone. Be ready for it, it may not send you an invite.

Now slam away, I'm sure you all have interesting points on how i can get more free coffee and how to get away with mor MIR's. Lets hear it.

Ten6Niner
01-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Sorry to disappoint, but I agree with you on all points.

01-23-2007, 08:25 AM
While I agree with your sentiment, remember you were once there too. They just need time and for someone with some time on to address those issues individually.

I remember a time when I just got out of FTO (like that week) and was working S1. I had something like 5 or 6 homeless guys drinking behind a dumpster and the store owner wanted them out. When I got x97 and realized there were so many people, I asked for another car if one was x8. However, everyone was x6 and I got stuck by myself (still think that was done on purpose). There was one guy that was running his mouth a lot and was getting the rest riled up. So I grabbed him, cuffed him, and threw in the car. I informed him he wasn't under arrest, just detained until everyone was identified (officer safety). Once I did that, everyone behaved and left after I ran them. I cut the guy loose when I was done (not worth the time, we were x6). It wasn't until I was almost done that Sgt. showed up to check on me. Bottom line, I was a little unnerved at first being alone but looking back I'm glad it happened. It helped me realize exactly what you were talking about in #2. It was a valuable lesson and I got it really early. You gotta be careful, but realize you don't always need someone over your shoulder. Coming out of FTO can have that effect, especially for someone with no prior.

As far as the radio is concerned, even seasoned deputies talk to much on the radio (grin...sorry JW...) The new people just need to use the laptops more often. I use the radio as little as possible, but that again came from other deputies that pointed it out to me when I first started. I can remember more than 1 time having to wait for other deputies to stop talking so I can talk to radio on my own call that everyone was x51 to. I'm sure newbies will get the hint when it happens to them. Just a learning curve.

Protecting the uniform has gotten a little more complicated in recent years (even if you do the right thing), but I agree with you. Again, just something that comes with time. Lack of experience and knowledge of statutes.

And for the quote, that ranks up there with "Ill pull your eyeball out and show it to the other" Love them both. It's a shame if they stopped telling the recruits these wonderful tidbits.

I posted a response because I saw a lot of people read this and didnt bother to say anything. It's a good topic, but it's also a fair bet that newbies are not reading this forum. If these things bother you, the next time you see a new deputy commit them just pull them aside and NICELY let them know how things are done. If they are so full of themselves not to listen to a more experienced deputy, then they are on their own and you can rest easy that you have done all you can.

BTW, if you will notice I did not bash or slander you. Nothing I've said here was an attempt to start a fight. I don't have time for that childish crap.

Be safe.

01-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Great responses. 10-69er I hate you on all other posts though. I look at rookies as i do teens, it's just a phase. There just happen to be a bunch out there right now. I've been there, done that, and was dumber than they were I'm sure.

01-24-2007, 03:03 PM
All I will say is that if someone is scared to go out with someone, then I don't think they should be doing the job.

I personally "THANK" anyone who backs me up it is greatly appreciated. I only call for x94 if things look like there going to go south.

The one person stated that if you have a problem with one of the rookies you should pull them aside an talk to them about. I agree..It may help or it may not.

As far as talk on the radio vs am. I got told by someone with more seniority to call out on the radio... vs putting my self out on things. I was told it was an Officer Safety Issue.

Rookie

01-25-2007, 02:13 AM
Rookie,

I believe you missed my point. I never said anything about one deputy being scared to back up another. Where you got that from, I really don't know. If you were just stating something, that is different. I have never run into another deputy that was too scared to help another deputy (one instance comes to mind but it was undoubtedly before your time)

What I was saying is that some deputies (generally the newer ones) ask for x94's when they might not actually need one, or sceam x24 when it is not necessary. This is a fine line, and it needs to be learned. Bottom line, you do not always need someone standing over your shoulder.

Sometimes, you might not have a x94 readily available no matter how hard you scream in the mic for a x24. Other times you will have more deputies on your call than you know what to do with. As a new deputy, it will take time for you to figure out what mix you are comfortable with.

What I believe the original poster was alluding to is that you need to learn to control your surroundings and those you are dealing with. Sometimes a little tact can avoid a situation wherein someone ends up screaming on the radio. This is why I related my story about the homeless guys.

Had I not taken control of the situation and allowed the guy to continue getting everyone going, I might have been into a hell of a fight to x15 him on charges. If I had gotten into a fight with him without out any back up available and out manned, things could have turned out much differently. Instead, I stayed cool and handled business. If a x94 had shown up on that call, I might not have learned that very valuable lesson.

Calling out on the radio is good officer safety. It lets your squad know what you are doing and where you are. That is not what is at issue.

I believe the original poster was refering to people getting on the radio and saying things that are not necessary and take up valuable air time when something is going down. Re-read #1 again. I will clarify one thing however. If you are x-18, at least let disp know by AM. You don't want to be the one in a sg4 x18 without at least disp knowing you are x18.

Let me give an example:

There is an armed sg20 threatening sg46 in s1. The primary car will get that info over air as being dispatched on that call. In the time it takes that deputy to figure out where the call is and what is going on, 3 people have gotten on the air to advise they are x51 x18 from s3. On the way to the call, or shortly after x97 (which should be x3 anyway even if the deputy or disp hasn't already done it) there is a wall of people calling x97 (or even better "in the area") such that the original deputy cannot get on the air to update everyone or get additional info from radio.

Which brings me to the main point. Be x3 unless you have something VERY important to add to a call, even if the channel is x8. Also, pay attention to the radio so you can hear when the channel is x3, for god sake don't key up and make an arse of yourself. You could be walking over someone screaming x24.

Vested Deputy, correct me if you are reading this and I missed your point.

Rookie, good luck on the road and I hope you are able to develop your learning curve early and safely. And keep an eye on this board, you do get some good info from time to time.

Be safe.

01-26-2007, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the words of wisdom..

BE SAFE...

01-26-2007, 09:52 AM
anytime rookie. this is a family, and we have to look out for each other. always remember that.

be safe.

01-27-2007, 02:10 AM
I am very impressed with this entire post and very appreciative of it. It is nice to get helpful words of wisdom without sarcasm and insult. Its nice to see that someone actually cares whether or not I become a good officer. This job is different from the military, so it pays to acknowledge being the new guy and just let some things soak in. However, while it is still taught to new recruits (corrections and law enforcement) to be courteous and have a plan to kill everyone you meet, all I can say is be ready and be weary. We can never be afraid to do our job, but we have to remember that there are an awful lot of highly trained individuals out there who can kill us without breaking a sweat or thinking twice... and all of the planning in the world on ourt part won't be good enough unless we were equally well trained. I refer mostly to military types when I say this. All the law enforcement and corrections training in the civilian world won't prepare an officer to handle someone of a SEAL's or Recon Marines training level. They are out there, they can be easily agitated, and they are far far deadlier than we are. Be safe, be smart, and know your enemy.