PDA

View Full Version : HEADCOUNT

01-22-2007, 01:36 AM
So what’s the head count there now??? You guys must have hired 100+ officers since 05. I spoke to a guy in the beach that told me that he was getting ready to jump ship. Is it really that bad now? I was offered a job there in the beginning of 01/06 but I turned it down. Several people advice me of layoffs you guys once had and also city budget problems.

01-22-2007, 10:07 PM
yeah it's pertty crappy here. I'm jumping ship to PBSO where I hear the grass is a little greener. The city commission and city manager is run the department to the ground.

01-23-2007, 11:55 PM
OK. How about the following: Some who observe the Fort Lauderdale Police Department would make a strong argument that it is in a crisis. Just in the last month, one of FLPD's best police officers left the department. Worse still, he left to go to work for BSO. The reason was not fiancial (although FLPD is now the lowest paid police department in the tri-county area) but because of the policies of George Grestas and the Office of the City Manager.

George Grestas, as a City Manager, is what some would call "hands on". Others would say he is a control freak. Anytime he does not get his own way, he has a temper tantrum. If anyone at FLPD disagrees with him, they are retaliated against by being transfered or denied advancement. Grestas and his friends came to Fort Lauderdale with the belief that FLPD was corrupt. Since then they have instituted changes that are geared towards "catching all these corrupt police". The leader of this effort is Bob Bates, the director of the Office of Professional Compliance. He continues to try and investigate FLPD officers, even though that is not part of his job. He has already been "counciled" for breaking state law during these efforts.

One of the lastest issues is Grestas spending over 3 million dollars for cameras in the police cars. He claims this is for "officer safety". However, there is not one instance of car cameras saving an officer's life. One only needs to look at all the videos of police officers being attacked, beaten, and murdered while car cameras record all the details. The cameras do nothing for officers. Grestas wants them there to catch the "corrupt FLPD officers". At the same time, he refuses to spend additional money for the type of police training that will save officer's and citizen's lives. Examples of this would be firearms training, defensive tactics, and pursuit driving. FLPD only does the bare minimum in this area and Grestas will not allocate more money.

At the same time, it was just discovered that over 170 FLPD officers are wearing defective bullet proof vests. These vests were recalled two year ago. However, the officer in charge of replacing the vests, Karen Dietrich, failed to do so. Last month, when this failure was discovered by patrol officers, they brought it to the attention of the department's training sergeant. He tried to sweep it under the rug and told the officers they would have to pay to replace their own vests. Incidentily, the training sergeant was Robert Dietrich, Karen Dietrich's husband. So, as of today, George Grestas has 170 FLPD officers wearing bulletproof vests that will not stop bullets.

This is the environment that George Grestas has created and it is the one that is causing experienced, veteran FLPD officers to leave the department for other agencies. A large number of officers have their applications in at Miami Gardens PD and Palm Beach Sheriffs Office because of George Grestas. 10-15 years ago the Fort Lauderdale Police Department was the #1 place that officers wanted to work at. Now it is the #1 place officers want to leave. If the course that Grestas has set remains unaltered, the situation will only worsen.

01-24-2007, 03:34 AM
OK. How about the following: Some who observe the Fort Lauderdale Police Department would make a strong argument that it is in a crisis. Just in the last month, one of FLPD's best police officers left the department. Worse still, he left to go to work for BSO. The reason was not fiancial (although FLPD is now the lowest paid police department in the tri-county area) but because of the policies of George Grestas and the Office of the City Manager.

George Grestas, as a City Manager, is what some would call "hands on". Others would say he is a control freak. Anytime he does not get his own way, he has a temper tantrum. If anyone at FLPD disagrees with him, they are retaliated against by being transfered or denied advancement. Grestas and his friends came to Fort Lauderdale with the belief that FLPD was corrupt. Since then they have instituted changes that are geared towards "catching all these corrupt police". The leader of this effort is Bob Bates, the director of the Office of Professional Compliance. He continues to try and investigate FLPD officers, even though that is not part of his job. He has already been "counciled" for breaking state law during these efforts.

One of the lastest issues is Grestas spending over 3 million dollars for cameras in the police cars. He claims this is for "officer safety". However, there is not one instance of car cameras saving an officer's life. One only needs to look at all the videos of police officers being attacked, beaten, and murdered while car cameras record all the details. The cameras do nothing for officers. Grestas wants them there to catch the "corrupt FLPD officers". At the same time, he refuses to spend additional money for the type of police training that will save officer's and citizen's lives. Examples of this would be firearms training, defensive tactics, and pursuit driving. FLPD only does the bare minimum in this area and Grestas will not allocate more money.

At the same time, it was just discovered that over 170 FLPD officers are wearing defective bullet proof vests. These vests were recalled two year ago. However, the officer in charge of replacing the vests, Karen Dietrich, failed to do so. Last month, when this failure was discovered by patrol officers, they brought it to the attention of the department's training sergeant. He tried to sweep it under the rug and told the officers they would have to pay to replace their own vests. Incidentily, the training sergeant was Robert Dietrich, Karen Dietrich's husband. So, as of today, George Grestas has 170 FLPD officers wearing bulletproof vests that will not stop bullets.

This is the environment that George Grestas has created and it is the one that is causing experienced, veteran FLPD officers to leave the department for other agencies. A large number of officers have their applications in at Miami Gardens PD and Palm Beach Sheriffs Office because of George Grestas. 10-15 years ago the Fort Lauderdale Police Department was the #1 place that officers wanted to work at. Now it is the #1 place officers want to leave. If the course that Grestas has set remains unaltered, the situation will only worsen.

BSO's a fine agency with way better equipment then FLPD could ever dream of. They simply have the worst administration.

01-24-2007, 09:03 PM
How your union let things get this bad is shamefull. What happened to the days putting up bill boards on I-95. I agree Fort Laud PD was the #1 place applicants wanted to work back in the day. Bad things allways happen when City Hall runs the Police Department and not the Chief.

REX99
01-25-2007, 01:19 AM
WOW, that sounds bad guys. I use to wear the same uniform not long ago and I jumped ship before all of this got the better of me. So I assume that since there are people jumping ship by the bunch or at least rumors of it, recruiting most be hard at work. So I assume that hiring is still very active then??? Of course now that you lost Lt. Lewers to MGPD who is leading the recruiting team???

01-25-2007, 02:53 AM
WOW, that sounds bad guys. I use to wear the same uniform not long ago and I jumped ship before all of this got the better of me. So I assume that since there are people jumping ship by the bunch or at least rumors of it, recruiting most be hard at work. So I assume that hiring is still very active then??? Of course now that you lost Lt. Lewers to MGPD who is leading the recruiting team???

yea you must have been one of the smarter ones that left . Anyways things here are pretty bad, and i don't see any signs of relieve any time soon. I predict that our dept morale will end up like the city of Miami police dept

01-31-2007, 02:33 AM
Just to let you guys know, PBSO has a big push for certified officers right now. Although the starting salary is not the best ($42,000) the contract is great and top out salary is awesome. Consider switching over. You won't be sorry. It is a shame you guys have gotten beat up so bad by your administration and upper staff. Ft. Laud PD was a great police agency back in the day. Come up north and get in the ground floor guys. PBSO is growing fast. We need good officers.

02-05-2007, 03:59 AM

BSO's a fine agency with way better equipment then FLPD could ever dream of. They simply have the worst administration.

Our equipment is good, but the moral sucks here too. The K=9 guy that left you guys for us is in for a big suprise (unless he was promised a backdoor deal). At least lauderdale guys are for the most part treated as adults on their crime scenes.

02-05-2007, 04:01 AM

Cameras are the wave of the future. All departments will have them eventually. Just think, Moore would have had nothing to say about that last shooting.

02-05-2007, 05:05 AM
Cameras are the wave of the future. All departments will have them eventually. Just think, Moore would have had nothing to say about that last shooting.

You must be a freaking rookie, it figures. Just wait a couple of years when you get some time under your belt, will see how you feel about them.

02-05-2007, 02:13 PM

You must be a freaking rookie, it figures. Just wait a couple of years when you get some time under your belt, will see how you feel about them.
I have worked with a camera in my car for 13 years and have watched them get 99.9% of the guys using them out of trouble. What are you afraid of, that you will get caught sleeping on midnights? Don't worry the camera wont point at you or your DVD player.

02-05-2007, 08:32 PM
What are you afraid of, that you will get caught sleeping on midnights? Don't worry the camera wont point at you or your DVD player.

Dude I don’t have time to sleep when I’m working in any shift. If cameras have to be installed so let it be, but if there’s more needed equipment besides cameras then why spend money on it. Mr.Gretsas has other motives for the cameras that have nothing to do with officer safety. AVLS are prove of equipment used against officers not in favor.

02-07-2007, 11:00 PM
What are you afraid of, that you will get caught sleeping on midnights? Don't worry the camera wont point at you or your DVD player.

Dude I don’t have time to sleep when I’m working in any shift. If cameras have to be installed so let it be, but if there’s more needed equipment besides cameras then why spend money on it. Mr.Gretsas has other motives for the cameras that have nothing to do with officer safety. AVLS are prove of equipment used against officers not in favor.
How many of your officers have been discipline via the AVL. What was it for ? Speeding when they didn't crash? How much time did they get off for it?

02-08-2007, 06:27 AM
Yea I was in the hiring process with them and got the worst freakin' attitudes from everyone. From HR to the PD, seems like everyone who works for the city is being treated like crooks and criminals. Needless to say, after my interview I withdrew my app. and went to a different agency. I hear PBSO and Pines is the way to go right now.

02-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Yea I was in the hiring process with them and got the worst freakin' attitudes from everyone. From HR to the PD, seems like everyone who works for the city is being treated like crooks and criminals. Needless to say, after my interview I withdrew my app. and went to a different agency. I hear PBSO and Pines is the way to go right now.

I'm glad you withdrew your application!! we at FLPD are looking people that can handle themselves any situation , not wannabes that walk around the department look for love and attention form everyone they meet.

you probably failed your oral board

02-09-2007, 02:50 AM
No I just noticed more officers walking around with their heads down looking insecure about the department they work so hard for then more officers with their chin up being proud of their department, incase you haven't been paying attention, no one wants to work for FLPD with the B.S that the city is pulling. I applied without this knowledge and once I spoke to other officers there and other officers from other agencies, I asked myself "do I wanna work for a dept. who is the lowest paid in the tri county area AND the worst pension in broward county AND put up with an @$$hole city manager when there are plenty of other agencies that will gladly accept applicants looking to work hard and not have to worry about drama from the citizens and city commission?" I say with respect, the main reason someone would work for FLPD would be the big name or they already have rank in the dept.

REX99
02-09-2007, 03:36 AM

Well not sure why you say they treated you bad, perhaps things have gone worst than I thought since I left. But I’ll tell you this, of all the police departments that I have applied for FLPD had the nicest people in HR and most of the po’s I ran to while I was doing my process were cool as hell. Don’t always assume that any other agency is going to be a cakewalk.

Not long ago FLPD was the place to be. If you think Pines is going to accept you with open arms; you better do your homework buddy cause they are even pickier than FLPD. PBSO process is not a cakewalk and if you had problems with FLPD, they will follow you all the way to Palm Beach County… :!:

02-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Here is REX99 talking out his ass again. This guy isn't even a PO here, so get off our thread.

REX99
02-10-2007, 06:38 AM
Here is REX99 talking out his arse again. This guy isn't even a PO here, so get off our thread.

Oh yeah you'll that mikey mouse troll that's always posting under different names to make it look like more than one person. Hanging around the FLPD thread is not to get you hired wiping-boy.

02-10-2007, 06:56 AM
Here is REX99 talking out his arse again. This guy isn't even a PO here, so get off our thread.

Who the hell appointed your sorry @ss (FLPD Moderator), you’ll probably worst than the other poser. Just because you passed your cjbat doesn’t make you certified leo. Go back to watching cops of fox @ss-wipe.

02-11-2007, 03:16 AM
I too turned in an app and they weren’t exactly very welcoming. I decided to skip FLPD and seek employment where there’s less slugs to work with.

BTW: Do you people have any height to weight standards?? I saw the biggest wale of an officer when I was at your station!!!!

02-11-2007, 03:55 AM
We know that wasn't REX99, because he is not a PO. He is an inmature little ass that wants to be a PO so bad he can taste it. He will never be on though because he is holding onto his mamma's shoe strings too tight.

02-12-2007, 02:44 AM
yea, i dun understand why he seems so defensive about a dept. he doesn't even work for...

09-02-2007, 07:43 AM

I'm glad you withdrew your application!! we at FLPD are looking people that can handle themselves any situation , not wannabes that walk around the department look for love and attention form everyone they meet.

you probably failed your oral board You've got to be either some Butt kissing admin guy or one of the " Cheerleaders " who hasn't worked the road in YEARS. Probable wouldn't know a criminal from a cat turd.

10-16-2007, 03:36 AM
Face it the guy was right. We do walk around with our heads down like a bunch of zombies because we are treated like c rap from the management. I would not ever recommend this place to anyone. It is a toilet.

10-29-2007, 12:37 AM
It is a toilet.

Toilets can be flushed and cleaned, this place has turds over floating everywhere. It is more like a cesspool.

10-30-2007, 03:22 AM
I don't care about all the whining and shizzat going on with officers leaving FLPD. No doubt, officers have a right to voice their discontent, there are legitimate reasons for sure, but there are also (as I read here on leoaffairs, while fewer in voice) that are understanding of the changes that need to come and hopefully that will. I want to join those officers.

Yep, everyone is right, the salary stinks and not having a good contract bites. BUT, I want to join FLPD and I hope to get hired. I still love the city, NOT the city MANAGER. I wish the city would provide the necessities to FLPD to create a better working environment and in turn improve morale. Hopefully one day that will come.

In the meantime I hope to take up the challenge and see what happens. Maybe I am naive since I am not an officer with FLPD, but knowing what I am getting into ahead of time has helped me decide that I still want to be a part of FLPD.

10-30-2007, 03:49 AM
I too applied for FLPD but during the process an opening came available as a janitor for the Broward County School Board. The pay and benefits were better as a janitor so I took the job.

10-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Why not apply and get trained here. You get paid the most of just about every other dept in the academy with overtime and full benefits. Milk that, get some good training once you get through and then see it for yourself.
And don't worry about the $2,000 payback if you don't stay 2 -years....most departments are happy to pay that since they saved on putting you through the academy. If you happen to like it, it's a good place to WORK if you like to WORK (minus pay, benefits, management, technology, etc)...and if you don't, you're a shoe for any other department.

10-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Why not apply and get trained here. You get paid the most of just about every other dept in the academy with overtime and full benefits. Milk that, get some good training once you get through and then see it for yourself. And don't worry about the $2,000 payback if you don't stay 2 -years....most departments are happy to pay that since they saved on putting you through the academy. If you happen to like it, it's a good place to WORK if you like to WORK (minus pay, benefits, management, technology, etc)...and if you don't, you're a shoe for any other department.

That appears to be the trend

10-31-2007, 04:19 AM
I too applied for FLPD but during the process an opening came available as a janitor for the Broward County School Board. The pay and benefits were better as a janitor so I took the job.

Yes, of course, what they teach you in the academy goes hand and hand with janitorial work.