PDA

View Full Version : Thank You MSO and BPD

01-21-2007, 03:48 AM
There was a DUI checkpoint last night (Friday 01/19/2007) on Cortez Road, right past Wal-Mart.

I have a drinking problem; and even worse, I have a really bad case of "I'm fine to drive" when I am totally not fine to drive.

Last night was no exception. On my way home from Bradenton Beach bars, I decided that Wal-Mart was the perfect place to go for some munchies.

Concerned friends followed behind me in their car. When they saw that I had safely made it to Wal-Mart, they continued East on Cortez.
They went through the check point which thankfully I missed.

These friends called me today to inform me that had I driven 50 yards further than I drove, than I would be in jail.

That phone call scared the living $hit out of me. Literally, I was shaking and crying in my room imagining all that I could have lost by drinking and driving.
Just because I'm in the LE field, that does not mean that I am above the law. Had I driven through that checkpoint, my life would be over right now.
I would lose EVERYTHING. My career, my relationship, my freedom, EVERYTHING. Not to mention the fact that [/b] I have NO BUSINESS endangering the lives of other innocent drivers.

I want to thank the respective agencies who initiated that DUI checkpoint.
That phone call from my friends today changed my life. Had there been no checkpoint, I wouldn't have had the sense knocked into me.

Because of that checkpoint, I attended my first AA meeting today. I made a promise to myself and to God that I WILL NOT EVER put innocent lives at risk again. I will not lose my career, my freedom, and the respect of the people I love because I think that I have the right to drink and drive.

Tomorrow I will be at church - I haven't been to church in years. I will be praying for the strength, courage, and wisdom to STOP being so reckless.
I will also be thanking God for this wake up call, and praying for the safety of all of my fellow law enforcement Officers.

Thank you for changing my life.

01-21-2007, 05:29 AM
tell it to jesus homeboy haha

01-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Good for you! Don't listen to the last idiot post.

01-22-2007, 01:33 AM
Good for you! Don't listen to the last idiot post.

Thank you!
I'm really not here for any sympathy or anything, there is no excuse for drinking and driving.
All I wanted to do is to thank the two respective agencies who were a part of that checkpoint (and ALL checkpoints for that matter).

Had I not had that wake-up call, perhaps I would drink and drive again.
You can only be lucky so many times, and I would rather die than take the life of an innocent driver because I made a poor decision to drink and drive.

Thanks for the much needed wake-up call.