PDA

View Full Version : FHP deaths

01-17-2007, 03:12 AM
First off, let me preface this by stating that I am not involved in law enforcement, but I am looking at getting on with FHP. Secondly, I realize that any officer death is an unfortunate one, and even if only one trooper were killed in a 50 year period, that would be one officer too many. With that being said, on to my main point.

My parents are vehemently opposed to me becoming a State Trooper, stating that it is one of the most dangerous jobs out there. However, after reading about the recent FHP Sergeant's death that occured last week, I came across an interesting statistic: "Only" 41 FHP Troopers have been killed in the line of duty since 1939.

So, this has me thinking that strictly from a statistical standpoint, FHP doesn't appear to be a dangerous job from the outside looking in. I mean, FHP has over 1,600 members and a 68 year history, but only 41 deaths? I would be curious to see how this death toll compares to a comparatively sized Sheriff's Office (or maybe even other professions, for that matter).

So, the question to you guys is, "Is FHP really a dangerous job?" What, in your opinion, is responsible for less than 1 Trooper being killed per year? Does FHP really stress officer safety and safe operating practices? This statistic really has me baffled!

Be safe out there guys.

01-17-2007, 04:12 AM
41 deaths in 68 years is a lot. If you research it a little, you will find that FHP has more deaths than many large metropolitan departments have that have been around since the 1800's. Traffic enforcement is a dangerous job. FHP stops more than a million vehicles a year. It stands to reason that something bad will happen eventually.

01-17-2007, 05:54 AM
Tai,

First off, let me start by saying that although your question is an odd, and potentialy sensitive one, I would encourage you to continue asking questions as you explore law enforcement as a career.

I have been both a State Trooper and a Police Officer. I entered LE through FHP and I have since moved on to become a PO for a larger municipality in south Florida. Both positions have exposed me to great dangers and none of them can be mathematially quantified.

Second of all, I want to encourage you now to stop trying to measure the danger exposure of a specific type of LEO as opposed to another LEO (trooper vs. deputy vs. officer, etc.); just know that if you wear a weapon on your hip, your job is very dangerous. I can skew the statistics any way I want to make one job look more dangerous than the next. Also, line of duty deaths are not the only measure of danger in LE. What about physical injuries, or psychological and emotional injuries, or quality of life alterations, or stress, etc. It is a difficult job and not everyone is capable of dealing with the repercussions effectively.

You need to choose the type of LE job that you think fits you best and that most interests you. The bottomline is, you can be a lazy trooper and mitigate the possiblilty of injury or death and you can be a lazy police officer and do the same. You can get shot responding to a domestic as an officer and you can hit by a car working a sig 4 on the interstate in the pouring rain (or shot on a 10-50). Anyone that attempts to articulate that being a PO is more dangerous that a ST or a deputy (or vice versa) is doing you a diservice. Whatever you choose, you need remember that your focus should always be on your officer safety and that each and every call should be approached with that in mind. Danger will be around you, in obvious and not so obvious forms, every time you put on that uniform. Sgt. Sottile had been a trooper for 23+ years when he went 10-07. Time is no defense to danger and this will be true both now and in the future.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure you are doing it for the right reasons. If you choose LE, make sure you understand why you want to be an LEO and that your heart is in the right place. Otherwise, you will jeapordize your safety and the safety of those you work with.

01-17-2007, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.....I found them very helpful. And yes, I know my question could be considered sensitive or maybe offensive (especially at this particular time), but that is in no way my intention with this post. That is why I stressed that I am no way trying to downplay the seriousness of any officer's death or those who have given their lives throughout the history of the Patrol.

I guess if anything I was just thinking out loud and maybe looking to get some insight if this death toll is "high" or "low". I do realize that there is no way to quantify a risk in this line of work, but I was quite surprised when I saw the statistic.

I really feel my heart is in law enforcement. I realize that there is definitely a risk with this job (as with just about anything in life), and that is a risk that I am willing to take to pursue the career that I want.

My condolences go out to Sgt. Sottile's family, friends, and co-workers.

01-17-2007, 11:25 PM
if that is your question then just dont do it, this job weather its tananblack, green and white or black and white is not easy, no one likes LE until there kids wont listen or they run out of gas or someone is picking on them other than that most of the world i belive could really do with out us. the bottom line is no matter what you choose it is as safe as you train, but at any given moment it can go south no matter what your training is. the only real thing we rely on is each other no matter what idiot wrote on this site about cops writing other cops we rely on each other and thats it. trust no one beyond what you can see, train to live and live to train.

02-02-2008, 04:01 AM
Getting hit by a car on the side of I95 would be the greatest risk for a trooper in my opinion. So many dumbasses on the road.

02-02-2008, 04:49 AM
No other single agency in Florida has more line of duty deaths than the Florida Highway Patrol.

02-02-2008, 05:31 AM
No other single agency in Florida has more line of duty deaths than the Florida Highway Patrol.

Why is it higher than others?

02-02-2008, 05:51 AM

Many reasons. For one our training is piss poor. I personally feel some of our shooting deaths could have been prevented if we had better training and better equipment. Another reason is the job itself. We deal with traffic and on top of that we are in Florida, which isnt exactly a safe place to drive. A lot of our traffic related deaths could be prevented if troopers were careful about how they positioned their cars. A lot of troopers with the CHP will actually make the violator exit the interstate so they can have a more safe area to work in. Good idea.

02-02-2008, 09:03 PM

Many reasons. For one our training is piss poor. I personally feel some of our shooting deaths could have been prevented if we had better training and better equipment. Another reason is the job itself. We deal with traffic and on top of that we are in Florida, which isnt exactly a safe place to drive. A lot of our traffic related deaths could be prevented if troopers were careful about how they positioned their cars. A lot of troopers with the CHP will actually make the violator exit the interstate so they can have a more safe area to work in. Good idea.

I am interested in FHP but I think it will take a long time to get used to cars blowing by me at 95MPH

02-02-2008, 10:01 PM

That is not true. Jacksonville has lost more than FHP.

http://odmp.org/agency/1852-jacksonvill ... ce-florida (http://odmp.org/agency/1852-jacksonville-sheriffs-office-florida)

BOSMIA
02-02-2008, 10:02 PM
In regards to safety, why do FHP officers make traffic stops on the fast lane breakdown lane (I95). The breakdown lane on the left is very thin and no one knows about or cares to follow the "move over law". Very dangerous.

Fellow Trooper
02-03-2008, 12:18 AM
You conduct a stop to where ever that violator stops. Yeah you have a better place in mind but you can control that.

BOSMIA
02-03-2008, 12:37 AM
You conduct a stop to where ever that violator stops. Yeah you have a better place in mind but you can control that.

Yes left lane breakdown is not the best place for sure!

02-03-2008, 01:05 AM

I see your point, but how manys times do you get to decide where the violators pulls over. Sometimes SH!t happens..... and you have to deal with it.

02-03-2008, 04:49 AM

I see your point, but how manys times do you get to decide where the violators pulls over. Sometimes SH!t happens..... and you have to deal with it.

I rarely have one pull over where I dont want them to. I simply follow behind them until we reach an area I feel is safe, then I light them up. That may be 1/2 mile down the road or 5 miles.

02-03-2008, 07:04 AM

That is not true. Jacksonville has lost more than FHP.

http://odmp.org/agency/1852-jacksonvill ... ce-florida (http://odmp.org/agency/1852-jacksonville-sheriffs-office-florida)
This total is for 3 different departments now known as Th JSO.

02-04-2008, 03:35 AM

Not so my brother LEO. 41 since 1939? Miami has had over 70 killed in the line of duty. Not something you want to be first in anyhow.

02-04-2008, 12:06 PM

Not so my brother LEO. 41 since 1939? Miami has had over 70 killed in the line of duty. Not something you want to be first in anyhow.

Let me inform you dolt.

Miami Beach PD -7
Miami -36
Metro dade -25
Miami dade -4
Miami Springs -1

These are not listed as a single agency.

02-04-2008, 04:35 PM

Let me inform you dolt.

Miami Beach PD -7
Miami -36
Metro dade -25
Miami dade -4
Miami Springs -1

These are not listed as a single agency.

WHAT THE HELL IS A DOLT?