PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff Gee....PLEASE

12-18-2006, 09:32 AM
A specialty position I’m interested in has once again become open. I recently talked to several people on this specialty squad about the chances of getting on (yes I’m STILL trying). Each person on this specialty squad basically advised…….“good luck. To get this position you have to have the right political connections, and the position has already been decided. A MUCH junior deputy has the right political ties, and he has already had the position locked up for a while now.”

No deputy, whether close to retirement, recently hired, or anywhere in between, should be given preference because of who they know.

In the many years that I’ve worked for this agency, I have found that all my years of hard work , plus and a nickel, would buy me a hot cup of JACK SQUAT!

Sheriff, only you can put a stop to this political garbage. Your staff refuses to do so, therefore if it is going to be done, it is up to you. The question is… WILL YOU PUT A STOP TO IT? It will take an active effort on your part. Will your leadership in office allow the political Bull from the past terms to continue, or will you be the leader to put an end to it? It may be a little early for that question to be answered yet, but so far the answer has been no.

12-18-2006, 01:50 PM
How do you think Gee got to the position he is in? Think about it.

For that matter how do most people get their jobs? Usually from the recommendations of people they know. Most employers including the SO want you to list references on your employment application. It is always about who you know and what others think of you. It has nothing to do with merit. This goes on in every business in the private sector. It's part of life.

I don't like it, but I will play the game for my own benefit. Then, when I am in a position to bring others along, I will choose the people I like, and the cycle will continue.

Hate the game, not the playa'

12-18-2006, 04:15 PM
Welcome to the world of HCSO. Since Sheriff Gee has arrived on the scene things have gotten much worse, which many, including myself, thought was impossible.

But it is us who are the fools. I invite you to Google "SHERIFF DAVID GEE" and read the articles about our Sheriff the self proclaimed cowboy, and how he wants his office to be like the one Sheriff Beard ran. Then ask some of the "oldtimers" what it was like under the Beard era and you then will find that we got just what we asked for when we helped vote the Closet Cowboy into office without doing our research.

12-18-2006, 06:22 PM
How do you think Gee got to the position he is in? Think about it.

For that matter how do most people get their jobs? Usually from the recommendations of people they know. Most employers including the SO want you to list references on your employment application. It is always about who you know and what others think of you. It has nothing to do with merit. This goes on in every business in the private sector. It's part of life.

I don't like it, but I will play the game for my own benefit. Then, when I am in a position to bring others along, I will choose the people I like, and the cycle will continue.

You show mature insight, and you are correct. It DOES go on EVERYWHERE and anyone who believes otherwise deceives himself.

Those who think "Gee is worse that the others" are childish and wrong. It's time for the ambitious to grow up and face the facts. If you want to advance in ANY organization you must play the political game as well as develop appropriate job skills for where you want to be assigned.

Business management books emphasize the political job skills and give them names like "networking. Those who resent people who exercise these skills refer to them as "sucking up," and refuse to "lower themselves" to relying upon anything but merit.

You know what they call those who refuse to learn and use political skills and insist that they be promoted solely based upon their merit?

"Unpromoted."

:?

12-18-2006, 07:48 PM
[quote="Just a patrol deputy":1m8t39fh]How do you think Gee got to the position he is in? Think about it.

You show mature insight, and you are correct. It DOES go on EVERYWHERE and anyone who believes otherwise deceives himself.

Those who think "Gee is worse that the others" are childish and wrong. It's time for the ambitious to grow up and face the facts. If you want to advance in ANY organization you must play the political game as well as develop appropriate job skills for where you want to be assigned.

Business management books emphasize the political job skills and give them names like "networking. Those who resent people who exercise these skills refer to them as "sucking up," and refuse to "lower themselves" to relying upon anything but merit.

You know what they call those who refuse to learn and use political skills and insist that they be promoted solely based upon their merit?

"Unpromoted."

:?[/quote:1m8t39fh]

I take from your post that you are a supervisor that had to "suck up" in order to get where you are at.

Just because every other agency or every other business does it, does not make it right. I just makes a fact of reality. With that said what is so wrong to think that someone would try to be different? Be a leader or lead this grreat agency into uncharted waters? Why can we not be the 1st to say that a$$ kissing is not allowed? Why, because the powers to be love all of the power they can get. They want those around them to think that they can do no wrong or that they are the best thing since slice bread.

And I hate to break it to you but many on the street could hardly wait for Henderson to leave as they thought they had a true leader wanting to take the reins (my cowboy joke). 2 years later and many would rather have Henderson back! :shock: :shock: :shock:

12-18-2006, 11:04 PM
If I‘m thinking of the same position and person being referred to by the original poster as the "MUCH junior deputy" .............Networking is one thing, but getting the position because of being a family member of high ranking supervisors, is not networking........... It’s nepotism.

12-19-2006, 01:23 AM
I take from your post that you are a supervisor that had to "suck up" in order to get where you are at.

Just because every other agency or every other business does it, does not make it right. I just makes a fact of reality. With that said what is so wrong to think that someone would try to be different? Be a leader or lead this grreat agency into uncharted waters?

Why can we not be the 1st to say that a$$ kissing is not allowed?

Again we hear from the same idealist who is going to change the entire world.

No, not a supervisor. Just someone with a lot of experience who knows how things work.

And, again you show your ineptness and your destiny to languish at the bottom of the rank structure by characterizing political skills as sucking up. You can't compete successfully so you disparage the process. By your own choice you condemn yourself to mediocrity with regard to status in the office. Of course you still have your "self respect" - but little else. :P

Answer to your question - because office politics, just like local, national and international politics is a FACT OF LIFE.

:wink:

12-20-2006, 12:58 AM

Just because every other agency or every other business does it, does not make it right. I just makes a fact of reality. With that said what is so wrong to think that someone would try to be different? Be a leader or lead this grreat agency into uncharted waters?

Why can we not be the 1st to say that a$$ kissing is not allowed?

Again we hear from the same idealist who is going to change the entire world.

No, not a supervisor. Just someone with a lot of experience who knows how things work.

And, again you show your ineptness and your destiny to languish at the bottom of the rank structure by characterizing political skills as sucking up. You can't compete successfully so you disparage the process. By your own choice you condemn yourself to mediocrity with regard to status in the office. Of course you still have your "self respect" - but little else. :P

Answer to your question - because office politics, just like local, national and international politics is a FACT OF LIFE.

:wink:

So let me get this straight. You have no problems with a system in which we have employees who build or remodel homes, babysit, fix plumbing, do a/c work, start a sign company in order to make campaign signs, mow yards, install sprinkler systems and/or collect food and drinks from businesses in their work area for campaign fund raisers in the name of looking better when it comes time for promotions? Please note that I did not even touch upon the employees that I now that bought motorcycles in order to ride with the upper brass or joined the Shrine as they thought it would bring them closer to a promotion.

And let us not forget the latest rumor that some even traveled out of state in order to clear land for a supervisor who maybe in the position to make or break a career.

But these are just rumors and never happened here, and you say that if they did it is just a part of making yourself look like a better worker or more marketable? Your as you put it.....it is just a fact of life :roll:
:devil:

12-20-2006, 03:04 PM
So let me get this straight. You have no problems with a system in which we have employees who build or remodel homes, babysit, fix plumbing, do a/c work, start a sign company in order to make campaign signs, mow yards, install sprinkler systems and/or collect food and drinks from businesses in their work area for campaign fund raisers in the name of looking better when it comes time for promotions?

Please note that I did not even touch upon the employees that I now that bought motorcycles in order to ride with the upper brass or joined the Shrine as they thought it would bring them closer to a promotion.

And let us not forget the latest rumor that some even traveled out of state in order to clear land for a supervisor who maybe in the position to make or break a career.

But these are just rumors and never happened here, and you say that if they did it is just a part of making yourself look like a better worker or more marketable? Your as you put it.....it is just a fact of life :roll:
:devil:

OK, let's do get things straight. QUIT PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH - Particularly when they aren't true! I didn't say I had "no problem" with the things you listed. This is the classic act of a poor debater - attribute an untenable position to the opposition.

And of course, you DID "touch on" the motorcycles and the Shrine - in the next paragraph. Buying motorcycles (and getting tattoos) for those (in)famous road trips with the supervisors is certainly something that I didn't do and I tend to hold those who did in contempt. But the question is "did it work for them?" With regard to the Shrine, it is well known that the Shrine is a "special place" in Freemasonry for the police and that Freemasons are sworn to advance their fellow masons in their occupations if they are able. So, again, for those who are very ambitious it makes sense to join. I never did and won't. But, I am enough of a realist to understand that it can be effective politics.

Clearing land for a supervisor? Illegal? Immoral? SOP Violation? Probably none of these. Appearance of impropriety? Apparently. But, of course you have given only your view; I'd have to hear from those involved to make a judgment.

You persist in characterizing my position as advocating political positioning for promotion. No, no, no. I am merely an experienced realist who knows how thing work and who knows this is not just nationwide, but worldwide and no matter how much you protest you aren't going to change it.

The only way YOU can change it is if YOU are at the very top, and if you don't politic you won't GET TO the top. Then once there you will no longer oppose it so you won't change it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news................

:!:

12-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Told just exactly like it is. Not just here in the SO but in life.

No lies in the above post by Realistic, just true blue facts.

12-21-2006, 12:30 AM

And guess why that is.................because people like you and the Realist are willing to "just live with it" and thus the world goes on as we know it.

12-21-2006, 01:12 AM

And guess why that is.................because people like you and the Realist are willing to "just live with it" and thus the world goes on as we know it.

It's difficult to discern whether you are simply incapable of reading and assimilating the writings of others or you are deliberately duplicitous in your attribution of what I say.

I NEVER said I was willing to "just live with it." Again, you put words in my mouth. QUIT DOING THAT!!!! :twisted:

The point made by "Just a patrol deputy" was that politics as an element of promotion isn't limited to HCSO, but goes on everywhere. In this I concurred. Simple as that.

The original poster's statement "No deputy, whether close to retirement, recently hired, or anywhere in between, should be given preference because of who they know." simply flies in the face of the fact that whether or not that is the way it "should" be, that is the way it IS!

Everywhere!

By the way, on another thread someone posted information about the pay at NYPD. If you check out their web site you will find that their promotions are "based on merit, not tests." What do you take that to mean? Merit has the suspicious sound of subjective evaluations made by superiors - in which politics would undoubtedly have a place. Unless, of course, you went entirely by arrest statistics - which could be affected by the assignments given you by your superiors. Hummmmmm..........

Everywhere!

Your attempt to blame a world-wide, throughout history, fact of life on me because of the fact that I recognize it exists is childish.

:!:

12-21-2006, 02:54 AM
Are these your words??????

Those who think "Gee is worse that the others" are childish and wrong. It's time for the ambitious to grow up and face the facts.

Many others that have worked under 3 other Sheriffs do not agree and have talked openly to emplyees as to how bad things have become in the last 2 years. I am sure there are others that are very happy with the current staff.

[qoute]If you want to advance in ANY organization you must play the political game as well as develop appropriate job skills for where you want to be assigned.
[/quote]

Please correct me if I am wrong. But I see this as you saying that you must play the game, what ever the game may be in order to advance. You say that it havens in any organization. Guess what, I do not care about any other place. I only care about HCSO. My point is that Sheriff Gee had the opertunity to take this Office by storm and ride the wave until he wanted to get off with the full support of all. Many thought that he wanted to bring a "professional change" to the Office that has had it's dark days. Like when everyone was ecpected to kick in for Sheriff Beard's retirement boat. Depending on the rank you held was the amount you had to pay. Papers had fun with that one in 78. All that Sheriff Gee had to do was let the staff know that he no longer wanted to promted those that worked on your a/c, built you a dock, baby sat your kids, cleared your land, used your CRD contacts to find your food and drink, blah blah blah. This I find as crossing the line. This is say I do not want the your stripes, your bars or your brass. You say, it is a fact of life that you have to do what you have to do. Sorry, I don't buy it.

12-21-2006, 01:27 PM
"All that Sheriff Gee had to do was let the staff know that he no longer wanted to promted those that worked on your a/c, built you a dock, baby sat your kids, cleared your land, used your CRD contacts to find your food and drink, blah blah blah."

He did let everyone know this on his public website.

H.C.S.O. Strategic Operations Plan: Goal # 5 “Provide a work environment that attracts and retains a diverse group of quality applicants, REWARDS EMPLOYEE EXCELLENCE (caps mine), and promotes leadership through supervisory accountability.”

The middle section of his (David Gee’s) goal, “…REWARDS EMPLOYEE EXCELLENCE…” implies that politics will not having anything to do with promotions or appointments to specialty positions.

Hey Sheriff, are you going to practice what you preach? If so, the time is now to put an end to the political appointments and promotions. If you won’t abide by your own goal, WHY SHOULD WE?

12-22-2006, 01:46 AM
You say, it is a fact of life that you have to do what you have to do. Sorry, I don't buy it.

You don't buy it.

And you will languish at the bottom of the promotional ladder.

:snicker: