PDA

View Full Version : my view point

12-11-2006, 11:37 PM
I want the city to think about what Tampa police officers sacrifice every night before they go to work. In addition to the 'dangers' of arresting scum everynight and everything that goes with that, they are mostly sacrificing their families. What price do you put on that? They are exposed to the worst filth known to man and are expected to come home and behave as if they were not affected by what they see each night. They work 4 - 12 hour shifts so for four days straight - their families do not see them. Then the 4 days they are off, if they do not have court, they are still keeping their schedule. In my husbands case, he works midnights because that is all that he can get. So his four days off we still don't see him because he's keeping his schedule sleeping all day and staying up all hours of the night because he cant sleep. I wonder what long term effects this sleeping pattern will have on him and what that is worth to the City. My husband worked for another agency before this one and it was cake compared to TPD as far as what you see and deal with. If you wonder what effects these have on the families of TPD officers, take a look at the DIVORCE rate of the officers - and tell me what price you hold on your Officers.

12-11-2006, 11:50 PM
See a counselor if you dont want a divorce. Everyone is on the edge.
You aren't the only 1.
Look at the military-
Their husbands leave for years not a 12 hour shift and I think about 95% of military are discharged with about 5 cents missing out of a dime.
And for good reason.
If you stop complaining and started cooking more, maybe your husband would be in a better mood.
You need to appreciate what you have in life before its gone instead of making your husband feel bad about not making enough money for you.
If nothing is ever good enough for you, hubby will move on to wife # 2, or 3, 4, 5....
And that came straight from Dr. Phil

12-12-2006, 01:19 AM
See a counselor if you dont want a divorce. Everyone is on the edge.
You aren't the only 1.
Look at the military-
Their husbands leave for years not a 12 hour shift and I think about 95% of military are discharged with about 5 cents missing out of a dime.
And for good reason.
If you stop complaining and started cooking more, maybe your husband would be in a better mood.
You need to appreciate what you have in life before its gone instead of making your husband feel bad about not making enough money for you.
If nothing is ever good enough for you, hubby will move on to wife # 2, or 3, 4, 5....
And that came straight from Dr. Phil

What a cheap shot!

The woman is being supportive of her husband and is simply asking that his (and his family's) sacrifices to the job be considered when calculating the value of his service.

Comparing the military life to police work is apples and oranges. Law enforcement is on a schedule - WAR is continuous during wartime. The actual number of COMBAT soldiers is a small percentage of the total numbers of people in the military. On the other hand, the great majority of LEOs are subject to shift work and continual close contact with the dregs of our community.

By the way - Dr. Phil is a joke, created by Oprah and his program is designed solely for entertainment, not for real counseling.

:roll:

12-12-2006, 01:37 AM
That was a cheap shot, hopefully you arent a cop and just some guy perusing on this site. She was just venting about the sacrifices. Its nice to see that kind of support, especially during these contract negotiations. She probably never writes on this site and when she does she gets hammered. Thanks for coming on here and giving it from another side (wife). We appreciate it.

It seems that your husband has some experience and you probably have learned how to compensate for his job. Stick with it, as you well know its easy to get Jaded when you are a cop and its easy to be unsympathetic to the maladies of life, hopefully he can differentiate the differences between the scum he deals with and his family. I too work at TPD, just make sure those days off count.

Good luck, thanks for the post, and of course you know people are going to take jabs at you and rest assured its just people starting trouble

12-12-2006, 02:19 AM
What she said is..
The job causes divorces..(wrong.)
He can't sleep..(see a doctor.)
They see such horrible things every night..(not entirely true unless Taco Bell forgot the sour cream.)
And the job is just so awful compared to other agencies..(the pay is better at TPD so deal with it.)
Learn to deal with it, start a support group, whatever.
If you think that this job causes divorces, you are misinformed.
People personalities causes divorces.
The military causes divorces..
Thanks for being supportive but he chose to come here.

12-12-2006, 02:43 AM
My husband also works for TPD he also came with prior exp. & works night shift, the money appears to be good but since the change we had to make adjustments so he could go to work before he got his car we had to buy another vehicle and doing that things are worse financially, I know it will get better over time but as of now he works all the extra duty he can and at the other agency he never worked it. This has been very hard on the kids & me I fill as if I'm a single parent, we never see him and the kids actions show for it!! But!!! This is what he has always wanted, I have to look at it like this all those years he hated his job at the other agency I was happy and felt like he was safe ( they are never safe) but now it's his turn to be happy and we have to deal with it! Don't get me wrong I get smart about it all the time, it's hard being 100% suportive when your the one doing with out! As far as cooking more he is never there to eat so what's the point !!! hang in there it will get better keep looking in the future for long term it will be worth it so he says...

12-12-2006, 03:15 AM
Since more money is available, maybe try hiring a maid or a babysitter every once in a while.
Do things that YOU want to do or things that can improve your quality of life.
Get a massage.
It wont always be midnights.

12-12-2006, 01:14 PM
I have been a cop for 14 years. I am on my second marriage and work midnights.

I am a 40 year old male and my wife and I have 2 kids. She is a cop as well. My first wife was a corporate business woman and did not want children. She did not want to move to Florida from NY but did support my new career.

I had serious money troubles and now the stress of a new job. As time went by slowly we grew apart and decided to go separate ways.

My divorce wasn't because I was sleeping around like other mentioned. It was STRESS! I agree with everything you said and I would suggest you and your husband work through this NOW. Do not let it snowball because you might find your relationship in trouble.

Finally, people get off on watching other peoples pain. Your not the first wife to post on this board and won't be the last. I defend you and wish you all the best.

A veteran cop!

12-12-2006, 08:31 PM
The poster using the name "Listen Honey" and "No" is clearly the same person.

And, is pretending to be with TPD - saying "...he chose to come HERE."

His summary of the original post is warped and incorrect. It's a typical case of claiming that someone says something they didn't say and then knocking it down.

As previously noted, his response is a cheap shot.

Go away you pathetic civilian...............

12-12-2006, 09:43 PM
I work midnights and have no problem being awake in the day on my days off. Maybe hubby should get with the program.

12-12-2006, 11:23 PM
That is the same person posting, true..
But you are wrong about everything else.
Where did you go to the academy, at the Mark Furman training center?
You only know exactly what I want you to know.
Nothing.
Dry the tears, put a new box of Kleenex out, and start over.
Way too many whiners in this department.
Lets all cry together and be one big walking advertisement for visine.
Misery loves company.