PDA

View Full Version : Injury

12-11-2006, 01:39 AM
I am Deputy with PSO. I am currently being advised that I will need to have hip surgery in the next few years. I am only 30 years old and do not want to switch careers at this point. Does anyone know of anyone who has had similar surgery and has been able to successfully return to working the road?

Thanks for any help.

12-11-2006, 01:42 AM
if you can pass the the physical requirements then you should and wouldn't be an issue otherwise.

But if this who I think you are are you still with this agency or did you leave and want to come back here after the surg.?

If that be the case shoul dnot have left. Just a thought.

12-27-2006, 03:23 AM
Depends on what type of hip surgery you a re talking about. Replacement or scope (if they even do that)?

12-27-2006, 04:12 AM
I am being advised it would be total hip replacement. I was informed that it takes anywhere from 3 weeks to a few months to rehab. To refer to a previous post I have not left, I am still here. I deal with the pain and have not let anyone know about it. I am not one to try to get sympathy from others. This is something I will need in the next few years.

I was just trying to see if anyone else has heard of someone coming back to work from this, because I intend to but was looking for other stories for encouragement.

Thanks for the responses.

12-27-2006, 07:47 AM
hey injured,if being a deputy is what you want.Then get the surgery in the summer.My parter had a double hip done.It took 6 month's before he could really move but,he rode a desk after only 6weeks.you just have to really put 200% into the rehab.good luck.
retired NYPD.

12-27-2006, 08:53 AM
If you need the operation and nothing else can be done, you have to have it. Recovery and returning to full duty will depend on you and the effort you put into the rehab. It will suck, not doubt about it, but if you want it you can do it.

New a guy in the Marines that had his hip crushed. Not replaced but repaired. Took him a very long time and came close to getting a medical discharge. He want to stay in, so he damn near killed himself but was able to pass the PFT (Pull ups, situps and 3 mile run). He did change his prior job, but he was able to stay in the Corps.

I can think of one Deputy, Lindsey, who was out for a long time due to being hit by a car on US 19. He was doing a tfc stop or maybe it was something to do with an accident. Anyway, he had several operations and was able to return. Have not seen him in a long time, but if He's still around go talk with him.

Good luck to you

01-03-2007, 09:41 AM
my mother is almost 80 she had a total hip replacement and she gave up her can and walker after only a month... she wasn't that active before she had the surgery ... its only been 5 months since her surgery and she said if she had known she would have felt this good she would have had it 40 yrs ago ... keep your chin up it sounds worse than it is .. it just depends how determined you are to recovering... sounds like you hide your pain well but don't be afraid to ask for pain med before they get you up to walk .. you'll need it ..

02-20-2007, 01:57 PM
if it was an on the job injury you have work comp.,so take your time and heal.If its not,then your employer should have group ltd which is long term disability insurance ,which pays 60%of salary tax free.by the way work comp,pays 66% tax free which is like 98% of your pay taxed.these are just ideas.the long term disability ins.usually has a 90 day waiting period before collecting, so u minght have to use sick and annual time.if you have short term disability ins. it will cover you during the 3 month waiting period .