PDA

View Full Version : The real truth behind the HPD badge, the lowest morale ever.

HPD-0939
12-10-2006, 05:09 AM
:(
Life is a very complicated cycle created by us. We make changes that have consequences and we will deal with it for the rests of our lifes. One of them is our decision to become cops, or police officers for some because they just fall short of a cop.

Must of us wanted to be cops to do good and really catch the violent criminals; I care a lot less for small stuff. In return of doing this honest and dangerous profession, I thought that society and the higherarchy within the department will always look out for us and protect us instead of disregarding the all famous due process. Surprise to me, it turned out totally different.

In Hialeah, the administration will jump to conclusions before they will even bother with the validity of any complain. If the SAO says you missed court, you must proof to them that you did not after a very nasty notice and if they were wrong then an apology will never even be seen. Yet, if you are the type of officer that in 8 years have never been reprimanded, your morale will decrease for sure.

It seems that there is an ongoing battle for the ultimate position, Chief of Police, both deputies really want it and we are seeing the effects. Jumping to formal discipline sanctions against officers without even seeing if the alleged violation is clear within the departmental SOP's.

Better yet, it is emberrasing to be at a scene and see three different marked vehicles from the same agency, Hialeah Police. And let's look at what is coming up, they want to paint every police car from 2003 and newer with the new painting. How much money will that cost, a lot; they said no more money for raises.

And for the next 6 years we will have three different marked police cars within the same agency, how unprofessional is that? We still have police vehicles from 1997 driving around. If you are smart enough, I strongly recommend you to use the City to your advantage, go to school and have them pay for it including graduate school. Do not take anything personal unless you are put in danger by the actions of someone else, then go all out.

Do not push anything over for an arrest or to think that it will help society as a whole, they do not care, trust me, you can ask any of the recent former robbery detectives. Become familiar with your departmental SOP's so you don't get F***.

It is sad that the morale in the department is so low, knowing that you love the job for what it entails yet your Chief of Police publicy admits that he does not care about the morale within and that employees will do their job since they are compensated for it.

By the way, the patrol section has no vehicles yet the captains and above have some nice brand new Ford Explorer. It goes to show you who they really care about, not us.

I hope that it can change one day but it seems far from reality. Stand up for what is right, do not let anyone intimidate you and do your job to the best of your knowledge. Do not take things personal, it is just a job, obviously they do not care.

12-10-2006, 07:40 AM
You sound as though you are in pain, my brother, but let me assure you, the race for 100 is over. Overton is next, and only the incompetent pals of the other guy would think otherwise. My, are they in for a shock.

12-10-2006, 03:35 PM
It aint over until the Fat Lady sings!
Did I say Fat Lady?, you know what I mean.

12-11-2006, 04:38 PM
I worked at HPD from 2000 - 2002. Morale was bad back then and bad before I got there. From the original post it seems things have not gotten any better. 10 years have gone by with more officers getting 39'd, fired or transferring to other departments. I remember thinking the City would wake up and realize that it was losing officers at an astonishing rate. When I realized there was no hope in site I jumped shit and couldn't be happier.

The original poster is right. No matter how good of a job you do there the only attenion you will get is when you make a mistake. On the flip side HPD has some of the most QRU cops imaginable. There is a bond between most of the ofc's that other departments ofc's do not share. The constant wondering if you are being followed is more then some can bare. My hat it off to anyone that makes it to retirement in that place.

12-11-2006, 05:48 PM
I worked at HPD from 2000 - 2002. Morale was bad back then and bad before I got there. From the original post it seems things have not gotten any better. 10 years have gone by with more officers getting 39'd, fired or transferring to other departments. I remember thinking the City would wake up and realize that it was losing officers at an astonishing rate. When I realized there was no hope in site I jumped shizzat and couldn't be happier.

The original poster is right. No matter how good of a job you do there the only attenion you will get is when you make a mistake. On the flip side HPD has some of the most QRU cops imaginable. There is a bond between most of the ofc's that other departments ofc's do not share. The constant wondering if you are being followed is more then some can bare. My hat it off to anyone that makes it to retirement in that place.

What will it take to improve morale? What do you recommend the City do to improve it. What discourse has the PBA had with the Chief of Police; Mayor to arrive at an equitably solution.

WATCHER

12-12-2006, 05:02 AM
The current chief needs to go and Overton needs to take over. That in itself would be a huge morale boost.

Quit treating grown men and women that put their life on the line every day like children. Granted some officers are still children and need their asses ridden but not everyone.

Give officers that have made it passed probation a take home car. From what I can remember, take home cars was a huge issue when I was there.

This post could go on and on. Just a waste of bandwith. As long as the current administration is still in play the place will continue to deteriorate.

12-12-2006, 01:14 PM
The current chief needs to go and Overton needs to take over. That in itself would be a huge morale boost.

Quit treating grown men and women that put their life on the line every day like children. Granted some officers are still children and need their asses ridden but not everyone.

Give officers that have made it passed probation a take home car. From what I can remember, take home cars was a huge issue when I was there.

This post could go on and on. Just a waste of bandwith. As long as the current administration is still in play the place will continue to deteriorate.

You make an excellent argument; let's hope the new mayor is more receptive.

WATCHER

12-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Guys and Gals I can not predict the future, but I would say hang in there for about one more year. Guest is right about nothing changing until this administration leaves. Hopefully it will be in a year or so. Until then I can only say keep your head up and hang in there. Not much else can be said. However, if you find a better place to work that will help you take better care of your family then I wish you the best. It is just a shame to keep losing so many good officers.

The take home car issue will never be solved by this administration. Remember that the mayor is not a cop and he does not know the inner workings of a police department. As much as the PBA reps try to speak their mind the mayor will always depend on our Chief for advise.

As far as what HPD 0939 said it is very true. Be careful who you do what for? Ask yourself why should you cross the line to make our administration look good when they will discard you in a minute like taking the trash out. Do your job, but for our administration follow the letter of the law!

A new issue that concerns me is the new enforced policy on the use of force. The administration now wants a use of force done every time we come into contact with someone who has an injury even if it was not caused by an officer. This is being implemented as we speak. An example would be in a domestic where the husband pucnhed the wife in the face giving her a black eye and in the process the wife scracthed the husband in self defense. Well now when we make the arrest of the husband we have to do a use of force because there is an injury even though we had nothing to do with it.

The problem with this policy is that in a year or so each officer will have 50 uses of force. So when we apply at another department they will think we are brutes who beat up everyone we come into contact with.Or if God forbid we are involved in a media event those uses of force are public record and you know the media will get their hands on them and say that this officer had 50 uses of force. I doubt the media will say that 48 out of the 50 uses of force you had nothing to do with the injuryof the suspect. This is a serious problem and all of you need to get with your PBA reps and make them file a grievince. Again this could really hurt us in the future. By the way it has already been brought up to the chain of command and the Chief is not budging.

This situation could be fixed very easily by creating a new form for injured prisoners. Not to mention this is already documented on the yellow part of the A-Form and on the O.I. report!!!!! Please bring this issue to your PBA reps it is in all of our best interests.

By the way in case you are interested in knowing how this new policy interpretation came about. The robbery detectives and sergeant, who they are trying to do wrong or right depends on your take, the administration is trying to say that they did not do the proper uses of force documentation because the suspects had injuries and they did not do uses of force. I beleive we all know that we have never done uses of force when the injuries were done by someone else, another civilian for example. Please get in touch with the PBA reps.

Good luck and stay safe.

12-13-2006, 01:25 AM
i havent posted here in a long time but if bushito is right,"that would be the most ASININE POLICY in the HISTORY of P.D."!!!!!!!!!!!!!THERE IS NO WAY THIS COULD BE TRUE!!!! THAT IS A VIOLATION OF OUR WORKING CONDITIONS... THIS GUY HAS LOST IT... OF COURSE,IF THIS POLICY STANDS,I AM OUT,INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE CANT DO USE OF FORCE IF WE DIDNT BEAT THE GUY,ARE U SURE??? WE WILL BE SUED FOR SOMETHING WE DIDNT DO AND THE HERALD AND ATTYS WILL HAVE A FIELD DAY!!!!!!!!!
THIS CANT BE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12-13-2006, 03:49 AM
i havent posted here in a long time but if bushito is right,"that would be the most ASININE POLICY in the HISTORY of P.D."!!!!!!!!!!!!!THERE IS NO WAY THIS COULD BE TRUE!!!! THAT IS A VIOLATION OF OUR WORKING CONDITIONS... THIS GUY HAS LOST IT... OF COURSE,IF THIS POLICY STANDS,I AM OUT,INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE CANT DO USE OF FORCE IF WE DIDNT BEAT THE GUY,ARE U SURE??? WE WILL BE SUED FOR SOMETHING WE DIDNT DO AND THE HERALD AND ATTYS WILL HAVE A FIELD DAY!!!!!!!!!
THIS CANT BE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frustado, Bushito is an agent provocateur. Bolanos may be whatever some at HPD might think. But dense, he is not.

Irrespective of police department, Use of Force policies exist to document when POs are compelled to use force to effect a lawful arrest; there is an injury to, or complaint of from the offender.

When the offender sustains injuries prior to the POs' engagement, as when inflicted by a domestic violence victim defending him or herself, such injuries should and must be documented in the OI report or separate form.

I agree with Bushito, check with your PBA rep. Better yet, ask your command staff to clarify this apparent misunderstanding. They must!

If not, HPD's Early Identification or Warning System, if there is one, will crash!

Still, don't lose the faith, our calling is righteous!

WATCHER

12-15-2006, 07:45 AM
If your supervisor asks you to write a use of force/control of person. Your rights are going to be qru. A direct order was given. It's sad that I could count about only 5 or so sgt's and Lt.'s that have balls to back up an officer. As people go up in rank there balls seem to get smaller. As for the 5 or so sgt's and Lt's, they are the future of this department. If we stay together as a team will could change this department for the better.

12-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Fellow officers,
Trust me, they are serious about holding the use of force policy to the letter. They are using this policy to build there case against the robbery unit. A change in the policy would admit fault in the policy and would weaken there case. Hopefully the outcome will be in favor of the robbery detectives and sgt. I've worked with them over my 23 year career and they are truly excellent people, both in thier profession and personal lives.
Now on to a different topic....THE HIALEAH POLICE DEPARTMENT.
The issues with the police department are basically involving two parts. One being the lack of resources and the other an inadiquate leader. Given this, I am astonished that we get the job done and done well. This is a true indicator of the outstanding officers we have. Nonetheless, we need to address the problems and try to make it a better place to work. I truely believe that the new mayor is moving in the right direction. I have seen more positive changes in this past year then in my 22 years with the former mayor. Over 50 new cars have been purchased, new laptops for the officers, take home cars for the SWAT team, increase in extra duty rate, the contract was re-opened and positive changes were made. And although I agree that these are small steps, they are steps in the right direction nonetheless. Given this, lets look at the other issues.....
Most management books teach us that leadership starts at the top. That in order to make bahavioral changes, the culture of the leadership must change. Now do we ( the majority ) have the power to change the police leader. The answer is obviously no, if not this would have been done a long time ago. So what is the answer ? We must unite with the sub-leaders and create our own change. Every sergeant must look out for the best interest of his squad, and every lieutenant must look out for the best interest of his section. To do the right thing, even if it means standing alone. And believe me I have been in that "standing alone" situation before fighting for the right thing. I know that this will not totally fix things but at least we can make it a little better and hope that a more significant change will take place in the near future.
I vow to do my part, please join me and lets move forward......

PS. I am not part of the administration!

12-19-2006, 03:06 AM
I was not trying to misiform anyone. Please verify the information that I stated and if I am wrong I will give an apology. However, get a straight answer and not one of those answers that say well we can cut corners. I think what I stated about the use of force is correct. However, if I am wrong and I hope I am wrong I will apologize.

By the way there is just something about not going to a doctor in 9 years because you feel healthy. Yet you have a small growth somewhere and people tell you to go to the doctor. Yet you have had that growth for years without a problem. But you listen to people and go to the doctor. The moral of the story is that sometimes ignorance is bliss and you are better off not knowing. Take care my brothers and sisters and I am not a big churro fan, but if I could get a free pack I would appriciate it. Thanks.

12-19-2006, 11:54 PM
HUH?? Did I miss something?? What's the part about having a growth for nine years?

12-20-2006, 04:55 AM
HUH?? Did I miss something?? What's the part about having a growth for nine years?

The metaphorical one! Bushito is right! Take care of use of force growth, left untreated it'll metastasized and become malignant.

12-24-2006, 02:35 AM
Got to know...is there a rift with 100 on one side vs. 102 and 103? If anyone knows, speak up. If 101 moves to the front, there won't be enough windows to jump from.

12-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Amen brother.
Can you say egotistical, self-righteous, pompous and incompetent in the same sentence?

12-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Got to know...is there a rift with 100 on one side vs. 102 and 103? If anyone knows, speak up. If 101 moves to the front, there won't be enough windows to jump from.

Posters, if you are wishing for Bolanos' departure, stop it, he's not going nowhere! Sorry, but in case you didn't know, he's been anointed Hialeah Police Department's Police Chief for life!

:cry:

12-27-2006, 10:02 PM
I hope all you guys had a great christmas and HAVE A WONDERFUL NEW YEAR!!!! Dont let the scrooge and your dictator chief ruin your holidays!! Those folks/sob's will be gone eventually and you will still be there serving a thankless community so back each other up and stay safe,,,,MPD PATROLMAN WHO CARES FOR U GUYS!

KEEP THE CHURROS HOT FOR ME,THANKS!

12-30-2006, 06:29 AM
Hey guys, I did it again. I try to write topics that are affecting our department and it is clear that I did it again. The number of viewers increased but the actual replies have not. Do not be affraid, the 1st Amend. of our constitution will protect you so post your replies today.

Our next chief cannot be from our current ranks. It will create an unbalanced atmosphere. It should be someone from the outside and with a contract. So he can tell the Mayor the right things when is needed without fear. Since he or she will be cover by a contract, even if terminated he or she will be paid.

12-30-2006, 11:48 AM
I BELEIVE MAYBE IT WOULD BE BEST TO GO OUTSIDE FOR ANOTHER CHIEF AND PUT HIM UNDER CONTRACT. A FRESH SET OF EYES CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
NOW, HAVING SAID THAT HPD STILL NEEDS TO STAY UNITED. NEW OFC'S AND OLDER OFC'S NEED TO CONTINUE TO WORK TOGETHER.
YES!, THERE ARE ALOT OF THINGS HPD DOESN'T HAVE AS FAR AS TECHNOLOGY IS CONCERNED AND TAKE HOMES, BUT THE UNITY, BROTHERHOOD, BOND, AND COMMITMENT THAT GENERATION TO GENERATION HAS PASSED ON. THERE IS NO OTHER PD LIKE HPD, SOME OF US MIGHT NOT COMPLETELY GET ALONG, BUT NO MATTER WHAT WE BACK EACH OTHER UP. TAKE IT FROM ME I KNOW, I LEFT HPD AND CAME BACK!!!!!!! THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE. NOT MONEY, TECHNOLOGY, OR TAKE HOMES CAN GIVE ANYBODY WHAT WE HAVE AT HPD.
LET'S KEEP OUR HEADS UP, AND CONTINUE TO WORK WITH THE PRIDE, UNITY, AND COMMITMENT WE HAVE ALWAYS HAD!!!
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FAITH IS THE KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOURS AT HPD,

12-30-2006, 05:30 PM
I BELEIVE MAYBE IT WOULD BE BEST TO GO OUTSIDE FOR ANOTHER CHIEF AND PUT HIM UNDER CONTRACT. A FRESH SET OF EYES CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
NOW, HAVING SAID THAT HPD STILL NEEDS TO STAY UNITED. NEW OFC'S AND OLDER OFC'S NEED TO CONTINUE TO WORK TOGETHER.
YES!, THERE ARE ALOT OF THINGS HPD DOESN'T HAVE AS FAR AS TECHNOLOGY IS CONCERNED AND TAKE HOMES, BUT THE UNITY, BROTHERHOOD, BOND, AND COMMITMENT THAT GENERATION TO GENERATION HAS PASSED ON. THERE IS NO OTHER PD LIKE HPD, SOME OF US MIGHT NOT COMPLETELY GET ALONG, BUT NO MATTER WHAT WE BACK EACH OTHER UP. TAKE IT FROM ME I KNOW, I LEFT HPD AND CAME BACK!!!!!!! THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE. NOT MONEY, TECHNOLOGY, OR TAKE HOMES CAN GIVE ANYBODY WHAT WE HAVE AT HPD.
LET'S KEEP OUR HEADS UP, AND CONTINUE TO WORK WITH THE PRIDE, UNITY, AND COMMITMENT WE HAVE ALWAYS HAD!!!
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FAITH IS THE KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOURS AT HPD,

Well said! For some of us, Hialeah is a very special city. No, it is not affluent like Coral Gables and Miami Beach; certainly not notorious like Miami. Hialeah is blue collar and hardworking like our grandparents and parents.

Perhaps the future will bring a person that will lead the Hialeah Police Department with equity; rendering onto the City what is the City's and onto the rank and file what is theirs.

Until then, keep the faith, your calling is righteous.

Rawdeal
12-30-2006, 09:32 PM
I've been reading alot of postings and comments but never actually replied to anything. In fact, I just registered because I feel this is might be a good manner to vent a little frustration. We are all aware of what goes on here at HPD. Bushido, I agree with you in just about everything you have posted thus far. It is true, if things don't improve soon, I fear we will lose many more officers and perphaps a few supervisors as well. I don't believe our new 5k doesn't care, I just fear there may be some skeletons in the closet between him the old 5K and 100. Who knows! We all know that our chief is not concerned with our moral. He said so himself on the news during the ticket quota fisaco. Most of us know he has no honor and certainly does not posses any leadership qualities worthy of recognition, but there are others in the upper echelon who are cut from the same mold as our current 100. I can only pray the Overton becomes our new chief because the other man in line won't cut it for us. Like previously posted there wont be sufficient window from people to jump from.

A new chief from the outside may just be what the doctor ordered, but I truly believe Overton has endured enough and earned the right. Thats just my opinion.

Unfortunately we cannot do anything about these type of circumstances. The only thing we can control is what we do out on the field and how we treat each other. Our department has so many flaws that I would not know where to begin and to repeat them all would be pointless. The new color of the units is nice but I think we have other pressing matters which would require immediate attention. The current Response to Resistance is asinine to say the least. Instead of implenting a cohesive action plan to cover pre existing injuries the mad one just hurls the Response to Resistance at us. Now what few supervisors and officers we have on the road are busy in the station completing mounds of paperwork. Having take home cars would be huge for us, but I don't really see it in the horizon.

No one has mentioned our problems in communications. We are running our communications with 4 dispatchers and the rest is covered by endless overtime. Our employees in there are getting forced to work constantly which we all know is great for morale. Our officers get forced to work overtime. Where does it end?? Oh well enough for now I feel much better that I was able to vent a bit. Take care my brothers and sisters in blue and stay safe!!

Unregistered
03-12-2020, 08:40 AM
In revisiting this thread ,it’s safe to say things have gotten worse and worse and worse and worse .........