PDA

View Full Version : stranded motorists

12-08-2006, 11:44 PM
If the report i just seen on tv is accurate.......some basic questions..... if not a traffic hazzard and has a cell phone y is leo the culprit for not stopping when he could have called a garage, friend, tow truck for assistance.....just what would a cop have done if he had stopped.....what tow truck would you like for me to call........The report says guy sat there for 8hrs waiiting on assistance.......wow .......just cant win now a days

12-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Because the powers to be have decided we are like a Walmart or Target, we have a service to offer, whether it's to kick your ass (sorry, I was rude, I'll get suspended), arrest your sorry, law breaking self (only with a smile and if you allow us and it's convenient for you), and because the idiot on the side of the road is probably to dumb to dial his phone or the federal government didn't give him one with his free cheese and peanut butter. Oh shit, I mean shoot, not shoot, can't do that either, that's a tough service to offer, we have a HOLIER THAN ANYONE command staff, and when they say it's right, by God, and he is not the Sheriff, its right!! Do I sound a little P/O'd, well yes I am, but I cannot express my displeasure at my job anymore, or I will get suspended. (Secret meetings with all the Sergeants to tell the troops how it's gonna be AND IF YOU DON"T LIKE IT, YOU CAN TAKE A HIKE, or worse, we'll just apply the rules as we choose to, regardles of any internal investigation!) So I guess what I am trying to say, is that yes, someone broke down, but it is my fault, as a service agency, that I didn't have their car serviced, and I totally apologize and accept responsibility for the inconvenience it may have caused a taxpaying, paying my salary, please cut my pay 'cuz I have so much extra money to spend, I should do this job for free because they give me a uniform, a car and a badge (not a gun mind you, I gotta buy that myself), so there, please accept my A-POL-O-GY. I hope I didn't offend anyone, especially my bosses, 'cuz they are the bosses and they are always right, no matter what!! Oh crap, here goes, I hope they don't get my IP, with a legal subpoena, becasue I have committed a CRIMINAL offense by saying this, now I'm gonna be sweating because I actually had a thought, typed, and pressed submit. Barry Cohen, where are youuuuuuuu!!! :cop:

12-09-2006, 01:48 PM
news reported someone was fired over this. Is that true? If so, woooooow!

12-09-2006, 03:04 PM
news reported someone was fired over this. Is that true? If so, woooooow!

No one was fired. This happened months ago and anyone that had used their toll card between the "alledged incident" had to go to ORJ and meet with the Col in one big meeting. Nothing else happened.

12-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Not completely true... If you read this months disciplinary bulletin you would see that this incident led to the investigation of a deputy that resulted in his dismissal. Although, if the allegations were true, he was a thief and didn't deserve to work here anyways.

I just don't use the Vets if at all possible anymore because I am sure to have to stop for a "stranded" motorist. So my question is this... WHERE IS/WAS FHP? I remember back around 2000 they were all upset that we were running radar up there and they wanted that for their own. I think if it's "theirs" then they should be responsible for all the 501's too! Oh... I forgot there were only two troopers in Hillsborough County working that night...

12-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Shame it has come to this.......Sure service is a function of the job.....And in the heirarchy of things im pretty sure dav's not being a traffic hazzard is way low on the list......Hang in there guys ......a civil attorney once told me that if u stop for a dav and leave and a crash occurs u and the agency are liable for it.......kmaybe when dispatch needs you for priiority calls ur not going to be able to leave that dav........its seems to be a catch22 sometimes

12-10-2006, 10:30 AM
The meeting with the HCSO sergeants was not secret nor was it negative. The Chief and the Sheriff expressed a desire to improve communication between the staff and the troops. They explained that they are working on the HCSO technology to bring it up to speed. They explained the need for the long form reports and detailed statute numbers on those reports because of a new records keeping system which would allow latent investigators to use that system to put the pieces of the puzzle of a crime or crime sprees together easily and efficiently. They explained current and future budget problems. They stated that they expect support from the sergeants when a policy decision is made, however they encouraged two way communication between the sergeants and the staff if the sergeants have a problem with the policy or suggestion to improve the policy. And finally, they took questions from the attendees for almost an hour. Those questions were not softballs either and they did not flinch when they were asked. There was no “Get on the train or get out” speech.

12-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Then the staff should come out and speak with the troops in person, or are they above that !!!!!!

12-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Well LEOSGT, here is a question for you......"Want to make HCSO a better agency"? Then you and the other SGTs need to do your job. The people on your squads are not your friends.....they are the people you are there to supervise, not sit around and chit chat with. They are the ones that when mistakes are found on a report by you, or the lieutenant, such as lack of follow up to an investigation and the reason why the investigation was stopped short of completion. It is you and the lieutenant that should tell the deputy to complete the report at the level of standard the Sheriff wants.

But you and the lieutenants are not held accountable for your actions. One needs to look no further than the latest disciplinary bulletin that came out last week. One deputy was slamming his co-workers by taking his diner break at the end of the shift. We all know why this rule is in place. But it was violated time after time. Where were you or the other sergeants and/or lieutenants? Why was this not monitored from your car's computer and put to a stop, as it is available to you.

And let us not forget the 2 civilian buffoons that accessed the Internet and went places they should not have. What was the response by the brass..........we will show them, lets turn off the Internet for everyone in the agency. Thank God that someone had the sense to rethink the fallout of shutting the Internet off to employees that access it every day for valid reasons But guess what? That is the typical reaction we get from the supervisors. They look for the easiest solution to the problem, no matter how it effects those that did nothing wrong. If a deputy does something really stupid and you can not figure out what to do, they are rewarded with having an SOP printed in their honor.

Leo
12-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Could someone explain to me, in detail, how writing long form reports and placing the subsections on the reports will "allow latent investigators to use that system to put the pieces of the puzzle of a crime or crime sprees together easily and efficiently."

This is for the new records keeping system we don't even have in place yet? Tell me how describing the "crime scene" on a found property report solves anything. Or for that matter why are we writing long form reports for informational/non-crime reports?

At a time when we are more short-handed than I can remember, staff just makes more work for the troops.

12-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Could someone explain to me, in detail, how writing long form reports and placing the subsections on the reports will "allow latent investigators to use that system to put the pieces of the puzzle of a crime or crime sprees together easily and efficiently."

This is for the new records keeping system we don't even have in place yet? Tell me how describing the "crime scene" on a found property report solves anything. Or for that matter why are we writing long form reports for informational/non-crime reports?

At a time when we are more short-handed than I can remember, staff just makes more work for the troops.

you are doing it because the man that is over that section is an idiot :devil:

12-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Why does talking to the troops stop at the level of Sergeant. When was the last time the "staff" addressed the troops enmasse, since our grand, great swearing in ceremony. If these issues are so important, then have a meeting with the troops, like the swearing in ceremony, where you actually speak to us in person, not behind some general order posted on the intranet, or some stupid video. Come talk to us, we'll keep our distance so our dirt from working doesn't get on your clean shirt and shiny shoes, or are you to busy scheduling the next "tournament" for whatever to speak to those that truly represent you an a daily basis !!!!

mod 184
12-11-2006, 03:34 AM
From what I understand, there will be en mass meetings after the first of the year, fyi. So start thinking about those questions you want to ask boys and girls!

12-11-2006, 05:41 AM
From what I understand, there will be en mass meetings after the first of the year, fyi. So start thinking about those questions you want to ask boys and girls!

Yeah, and our Sgt has promised instant death to anyone who embarrasses him by asking a question.

Decobozo :roll: If I thought that speaking up would actually do any good, I'd express my feelings. But the reason why I'm a "yes sir, no sir" clone is because that's the way you've ordered things. Hey Decobozo. THANKS!

12-11-2006, 11:57 AM

Yeah, and our Sgt has promised instant death to anyone who embarrasses him by asking a question.

Decobozo :roll: If I thought that speaking up would actually do any good, I'd express my feelings. But the reason why I'm a "yes sir, no sir" clone is because that's the way you've ordered things. Hey Decobozo. THANKS!

:cop: like we are going to ask questions with the rats in the back taking names of those that have the courage to stand up and ask "why"? :cop:

:devil:

Elliot Parsowith
12-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Just a thought from a retired guy who used to ask the "hard questions:"

Why not submit a list of questions for the "en masse" meetings to your PBA rep. They can ask the questions for you guys as a third person. Or, if the reps don't want to do it, get some retired deputy to do it, if approved by the staff of course. Heck, if approved, I'll come down there and ask the questions for you. Deja Vu all over again, but I'm serious. I don't have to worry about getting promoted anymore..... and even the threat of working Wimauma on the midnight shift (I did that when I was a rookie) is a moot point. From what I hear, Wimauma on the midnight shift in D4, is a pretty good assignment now.

Well, time to feed the deer and get my sled ready. We may get an inch of snow today! :D

Carl Shawver
12-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Just a thought from a retired guy who used to ask the "hard questions:"

Why not submit a list of questions for the "en masse" meetings to your PBA rep. They can ask the questions for you guys as a third person. Or, if the reps don't want to do it, get some retired deputy to do it, if approved by the staff of course. Heck, if approved, I'll come down there and ask the questions for you. Deja Vu all over again, but I'm serious. I don't have to worry about getting promoted anymore..... and even the threat of working Wimauma on the midnight shift (I did that when I was a rookie) is a moot point. From what I hear, Wimauma on the midnight shift in D4, is a pretty good assignment now.

Well, time to feed the deer and get my sled ready. We may get an inch of snow today! :D

See! Old, retired guys have good ideas.

Snow?????

It was 83 degrees here on Christmas Eve.

Colder today, the 26th - 65 degrees, scattered showers.

Brrrrrr...............

Perhaps we'll see you at the January Alumni Association meeting, Elliot.

:D

Elliot Parsowith
12-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Carl,

I'll be coming down for the alumni meeting on the 25th. Looking forward to seeing you guys. After that we'll be doing an around the state trip to see friends/family. I expect to see sunshine but not too hot. Any temps lower than 70 seems too warm now.

We didn't get an inch of snow, just some flurries to tease us sled riders. I can see some snow in the higher elevations, so we may take a ride up there today.

Have fun and be safe.