PDA

View Full Version : CCSO Deputy Struck by Car During Pursuit

12-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Incase anyone was not familiar with yesyerdays tradgic events, Bill could use your prayers!! He is one of our finest and would do anything for anyone. His critical injuries are numbing to the CCSO family and his loss would be far reaching in emptiness and would leave a huge void within our ranks.

** Hang on Bill, your tour with CCSO is not done yet as well as your friendship and loyalty to us all!! We are hanging on every minute for your speedy recovery... Your friend and brother :cry:

(Copied from CCSO web site)

Deputy Struck by Car During Pursuit - UPDATE - Charges (Dated: 12/5/2006)

Article: DATE/TIME: Tuesday, Dec. 5 at 12:22 p.m.

ARRESTED: Jesus Moreno, 21, 4210 Washington Lane #101, Naples

VICTIM: Cpl. Bill Pschigoda, 41, a 21-year veteran of the Collier County Sheriff’s Office

UPDATE: Moreno has been released from the hospital and is facing the following charges:

1. Attempted murder - first-degree felony
2. Aggravated fleeing and eluding - first-degree felony
3. Leaving the Scene of a Crash with Bodily Injury - second-degree felony
4. Reckless driving - third-degree felony

He also faces several traffic citations, including driving with a suspended license. Those specific traffic charges are not available tonight.

He is being held in the jail pending his first appearance in court.

While the Florida Highway Patrol is investigating the crash scene, the Collier County Sheriff’s Office and the State Attorney’s Office are conducting concurrent criminal investigations to determine if this was a deliberate act.

SUMMARY: A deputy attempted to make a traffic stop on a maroon Hyundai for reckless driving on Collier Boulevard near Golden Gate Parkway. The driver, later identified as Moreno, did not stop and proceeded to drive through red lights on Collier Boulevard. The deputy began to pursue the vehicle with his emergency lights and sirens activated.

Around 12:25 p.m., near U.S. 41 East and Collier Boulevard, Cpl. Pschigoda laid down stop sticks to attempt to flatten the Hyundai’s tires. Moreno avoided the stop sticks and struck a deputy who was standing along the side of the road. Pschigoda was seriously hurt and flown to Lee Memorial Hospital by MedFlight.

Moreno then turned right, heading west on U.S. 41 East, toward Naples, still being pursued by deputies. He next turned right onto Airport-Pulling Road and was involved in a minor traffic crash around 12:33 p.m.

Moreno turned into the entrance of Heron Park Apartments and a deputy driving a marked sport utility vehicle struck the Hyundai with his front bumper in compliance with Sheriff’s Office policy.

Moreno stopped and was removed from the passenger side of the car. He fought with the deputies and a Taser was used to subdue him. He was transported to Naples Community Hospital for an evaluation and is in Sheriff’s Office custody. Investigators will determine what criminal charges to file against him.

Moreno is a documented gang associate. His most recent arrests in Collier County include aggravated battery (2006), criminal mischief (2006), driving with a suspended driver’s license (3 arrests in 2004, 2 arrests in 2003), violation of probation (2004), violating an injunction for protection (2006) and cocaine possession (2004).

His driver’s license is suspended. He is also a habitual traffic offender.

BACKGROUND ON CPL. PSCHIGODA: He is a highly decorated and dedicated professional law enforcement officer.William L. Pschigoda, 41, started with the Sheriff’s Office on Dec. 4, 1985 as a dispatcher. He went to the road patrol on March 4, 1988 and worked on Marco Island, in the marine unit and in East Naples, where he is currently assigned. He was promoted to corporal on Aug. 3, 1999.

Cpl. Pschigoda has been awarded several Lifesaving Awards during his 21-year career with the Sheriff’s Office.

12-07-2006, 12:27 AM
After reading that, and the article that was on news-press.com, i have to say the driver seemed like an outstanding citizen! Not to knock corrections, but it seems some people are born to a life of being shady and will never change. I hope this guy is away for a long time.

I hope the Deputy involved has a speedy recovery and makes it home to spend time with family for the holidays.

YesCop
12-07-2006, 01:42 PM
My heartfelt wishes and prayers go to the Deputy in his recovery and may his Family be next to him in this time of need.
And the cries go out when the Police shoot at a vehicle. It never surprises me when a certain group of people protest because a subject is shot in his car as he makes a move towards an officer. They always say, "He had no weapon". What do you think a CAR is????

12-07-2006, 07:27 PM
My heartfelt wishes and prayers go to the Deputy in his recovery and may his Family be next to him in this time of need.
And the cries go out when the Police shoot at a vehicle. It never surprises me when a certain group of people protest because a subject is shot in his car as he makes a move towards an officer. They always say, "He had no weapon". What do you think a CAR is????

Here at MPD we could not have shot at the car either goooooooooo Ti money! My heartfelt wishes and prayers go to the Deputy and his Family

12-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Incase anyone was not familiar with yesyerdays tradgic events, Bill could use your prayers!! He is one of our finest and would do anything for anyone. His critical injuries are numbing to the CCSO family and his loss would be far reaching in emptiness and would leave a huge void within our ranks.

** Hang on Bill, your tour with CCSO is not done yet as well as your friendship and loyalty to us all!! We are hanging on every minute for your speedy recovery... Your friend and brother :cry:

(Copied from CCSO web site)

Deputy Struck by Car During Pursuit - UPDATE - Charges (Dated: 12/5/2006)

Article: DATE/TIME: Tuesday, Dec. 5 at 12:22 p.m.

ARRESTED: Jesus Moreno, 21, 4210 Washington Lane #101, Naples

VICTIM: Cpl. Bill Pschigoda, 41, a 21-year veteran of the Collier County Sheriff’s Office

UPDATE: Moreno has been released from the hospital and is facing the following charges:

1. Attempted murder - first-degree felony
2. Aggravated fleeing and eluding - first-degree felony
3. Leaving the Scene of a Crash with Bodily Injury - second-degree felony
4. Reckless driving - third-degree felony

He also faces several traffic citations, including driving with a suspended license. Those specific traffic charges are not available tonight.

He is being held in the jail pending his first appearance in court.

While the Florida Highway Patrol is investigating the crash scene, the Collier County Sheriff’s Office and the State Attorney’s Office are conducting concurrent criminal investigations to determine if this was a deliberate act.

SUMMARY: A deputy attempted to make a traffic stop on a maroon . for reckless driving on Collier Boulevard near Golden Gate Parkway. The driver, later identified as Moreno, did not stop and proceeded to drive through red lights on Collier Boulevard. The deputy began to pursue the vehicle with his emergency lights and sirens activated.

Around 12:25 p.m., near U.S. 41 East and Collier Boulevard, Cpl. Pschigoda laid down stop sticks to attempt to flatten the .’s tires. Moreno avoided the stop sticks and struck a deputy who was standing along the side of the road. Pschigoda was seriously hurt and flown to Lee Memorial Hospital by MedFlight.

Moreno then turned right, heading west on U.S. 41 East, toward Naples, still being pursued by deputies. He next turned right onto Airport-Pulling Road and was involved in a minor traffic crash around 12:33 p.m.

Moreno turned into the entrance of Heron Park Apartments and a deputy driving a marked sport utility vehicle struck the . with his front bumper in compliance with Sheriff’s Office policy.

Moreno stopped and was removed from the passenger side of the car. He fought with the deputies and a Taser was used to subdue him. He was transported to Naples Community Hospital for an evaluation and is in Sheriff’s Office custody. Investigators will determine what criminal charges to file against him.

Moreno is a documented gang associate. His most recent arrests in Collier County include aggravated battery (2006), criminal mischief (2006), driving with a suspended driver’s license (3 arrests in 2004, 2 arrests in 2003), violation of probation (2004), violating an injunction for protection (2006) and cocaine possession (2004).

His driver’s license is suspended. He is also a habitual traffic offender.

BACKGROUND ON CPL. PSCHIGODA: He is a highly decorated and dedicated professional law enforcement officer.William L. Pschigoda, 41, started with the Sheriff’s Office on Dec. 4, 1985 as a dispatcher. He went to the road patrol on March 4, 1988 and worked on Marco Island, in the marine unit and in East Naples, where he is currently assigned. He was promoted to corporal on Aug. 3, 1999.

Cpl. Pschigoda has been awarded several Lifesaving Awards during his 21-year career with the Sheriff’s Office.

WE FEW, WE CHOSEN FEW, WE BAND OF BROTHERS AND SISTERS!

LET US ALL PUT IN A GOOD FERVENT PRAYER WITH THE "REAL CHIEF" UPSTAIR FOR OUR BROTHER BILL PSCHIGODA. LET HIM SURMOUNT THIS CHALLENGE, SO HE CAN RESUME HIS SERVICE.

MIKAEL
AMDG

12-09-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm a Pasco County Sheriff's Deputy and I know just a few of the Collier County Deputies. I usually log in here to see if I see any names that are familiar. The deputies I went to school with were fabulous. I had a great time in Orlando, Florida that year.

I am truly sorry for the pain you are going through right now. It seems that no one truly understands the pain that ALL of us go through when someone is injured while trying to do the very best for a community.

My thoughts and prayers are with the injured deputy, his family and his extended family of at CCSO.

12-12-2006, 03:46 AM
Believe it or not, Billy has been moved from ICU to a room and was up and walking around. He may be released soon. I can not believe how lucky he is to have survived a 60mph impact with a car. This is really one of the rare instances where the good guy did not die young!

Thanks to all of you out there for your prayers and support!! It was nice to see responses from other agencies. As one poster said, when a brother is injured or killed, it affects us all!

Thanks again my brothers 8)

12-27-2006, 05:17 AM
Thank God he is getting well. I don't know him but I feel that brotherly connection to him. I too was struck by a vehicle and I just had my second surgery (back) three weeks ago to correct my serious injuries. We never know what can happen when we put on our uniforms. This may sound stupid BUT I never leave the house mad because you never know what can happen. I tell my wife and daughters that I love them several times each and every day. Please do the same because life is too short. Good luck to all and be safe.

Officer J. Reynolds

12-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Any update on his condition? I gave blood and went to the fundraiser at Snook. I had the pleasure of meeting his mother and sister, both fine ladies. I find it a bit troublesome the local newspaper did not report on the fundraiser nor any updates on his condition. Is it me or is the NDN slightly anti-law enforcement?